Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Yes, you need to have a battery in between. My suggestion would be to tie panels to a 12 V LiFePO4 battery using an MPPT and run your EVSE off of a pure sine inverter. You want at least a 100 Ah battery and a 1000 watt continuous power inverter, and that's just to charge 120 V @ 8 A. You could also use two 75 Ah batteries in parallel with a 1500 watt continuous power inverter to charge at 120 V @ 12 A.

Will is a really good resource for this sort of thing:

I have also watched a few of Will's videos. I think on a few of them he does charge off some of the back up banks to charge his tesla. I would think PURE SINE WAVE DC TO AC Inverter would be an absolute requirement so You don't "ruin" anything. I don't claim to be expert on this, would anyone know if it is not setup right would it ruin the charger cable, the car's 32 AMP onboard charger or possibly both?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I have also watched a few of Will's videos. I think on a few of them he does charge off some of the back up banks to charge his tesla. I would think PURE SINE WAVE DC TO AC Inverter would be an absolute requirement so You don't "ruin" anything. I don't claim to be expert on this, would anyone know if it is not setup right would it ruin the charger cable, the car's 32 AMP onboard charger or possibly both?
For the things like EVSEs, yes, you'd want pure sine. Whether running modified would harm the EVSE, that's anyone's guess. It would probably depend on make and model of EVSE, but my assumption would be that the EVSE would protect itself (and, as a result, the car's onboard charger).

·
Registered
1 Posts
You will need a low battery cutoff device between the battery and the inverter. This will protect the battery at around 11.5 to 11.75 volts on cloudy days and may be all you need to shut the inverter off automatically at night. If you want your deep cycle AGM to last longer you may want to terminate charging at 12 volts or 24 volts for the 24 volt system. Full River batteries get pretty good reviews.
You are correct in that and the simple solution is the charge controller that Harbor Freight uses. Yes you can find better ones, but using a lead acid battery, preferably a deep cycle, the Harbor Freight deluxe solar packs age, and a 1000 watt (minimum, but size matters) you would technically have everything you need to start charging. The only problem I have found so far is the grounding aspect. EV’s are particular about how the grounds run and I am not an expert, just a try and true method kinda guy. I have all the parts and pieces, just finding a spot that a rock won’t shatter my panels and having everything setup in an out of the way spot.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Better with variable output Solar Inverters.

Australia options back in 2018.

US products because we don't deserve nice things.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Better with variable output Solar Inverters.

Australia options back in 2018.

US products because we don't deserve nice things.
I'm not really convinced by either article. The problem isn't that difficult - just a bit pricey. The notion that a battery is more expensive than installing 150 solar panels is not persuasive.

We eventually went with rooftop solar. If I had to do it again, we'd probably install the panels ourselves and just have an electrician do the hookups. The main issue with grid-tied solar is the mentally deficient power company. But hopefully we'll be able to get a battery put in before the end of the year to buffer things.

121 - 126 of 126 Posts