Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive my n00bness, this is my first EV. I just picked up a new Bolt tonight. So my building has an outlet so I can charge my car, however the bolt just came with a 110v normal 15a cable. My apartment has NEMA 14-50 outlet it looks like. So what kind of cable do I need to get to charge it up here. I'll ask my neighbors or building what people are using tomorrow, but recommendations would be greatly appreciated :D

Picture of the outlet attached.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Chevy provided us with a 120 volt EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment) with 15 amp plug & (15 foot, I think) cable. Some people here on the Forum say they modified the EVSE to accept 240 volts & changed the plug to a NEMA 14-50. Some people say it works at 240 volts without modification, and made a short (8-12”) NEMA 14-50 plug to 120 volt receptacle adapter cord. Some say to NEVER use an extension cord with it. Some made a longer (8-10’) NEMA 14-50 plug to NEMA 6-50 receptacle extension cord for occasional use with their purchased(~$500-$700)/6-50 plug/“portable” 240 volt EVSE. You said “charge it up here”. Did you mean 1 floor up or is that 14-50 outlet at ground level and within 15’ of your parking space? It looks like a weather-protected outdoor outlet. It IS doable to charge at 240 volts at an apartment, just slightly more complicated. Other replies will be forthcoming within 24 hours which should further enlighten. Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chevy provided us with a 120 volt EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment) with 15 amp plug & (15 foot, I think) cable. Some people here on the Forum say they modified the EVSE to accept 240 volts & changed the plug to a NEMA 14-50. Some people say it works at 240 volts without modification, and made a short (8-12”) NEMA 14-50 plug to 120 volt receptacle adapter cord. Some say to NEVER use an extension cord with it. Some made a longer (8-10’) NEMA 14-50 plug to NEMA 6-50 receptacle extension cord for occasional use with their purchased(~$500-$700)/6-50 plug/“portable” 240 volt EVSE. You said “charge it up here”. Did you mean 1 floor up or is that 14-50 outlet within 15’ of your parking space? It IS doable to charge at 240 volts at an apartment, just slightly more complicated. Other replies will be forthcoming within 24 hours.
The outlet is at the parking spot. Each EV spot has one. Like 3' away.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jekayla Level 2 32 Amp Portable Electric Vehicle Charger Plug-In EV Charger EV Charging Station for Home and Travel, NEMA 14-50 P,16.4' Cable, 7.68 KW
awesome. I was just checking that one out. I ordered it up, should be here tomorrow. thanks!

·
Registered
782 Posts
the one that came with the car can handle 240 volts and the higher amperage - but it will not exercise the full 32 amp capacity of the Bolt - for that you need a new EVSE

personally I find it shameful that Chevy does not ship/offer a mobile 120/240 volt charger with the two most obvious plugs: NEMA 5-15 and NEMA 14-50 - every EV should come with a good quality full capacity mobile EVSE - or at least have one as an option from the manufacture

L1 chargers are barely adequate - and there should be less mystery regarding which L2 chargers will do the job.

·
Registered
782 Posts
the adapters will let the charger that comes with the Bolt charge at 12 amps…240 volts * 12 amps = 2,880 watts or 2.88 kW - vs. a 240 volt at 32 amps charger which will charge at 7.68 kWh or 3 times faster than the modified L1 charger, and 6 times faster than the L1 charger…

I still recommend the 32 amp charger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Researched, placed order and about 5 weeks later I am also a proud owner of an artic blue LT. With the help from the forum and advice from a member
I went with the Tesla UMC along with the Quick Charge adaptor and its working great. Dedicated 50 amp run on #6 wire with Nema 14-50R.
Altered box and a few misc. items for a clean organized look. Good to go at home and travel as needed.

·
Registered
782 Posts
in action, works great and not rotated;)
I mean you have to go this way simply for the animated charging light - it really makes all the difference - and you can see the light "pushing" electrons in to the car - because of that I feel the Tesla UMC's work harder and charger the car faster…it makes perfect sense. :D

and the UMC is great and flexible portable EVSE with adapters to charger from a variety of NEMA plugs.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you are going to carry the EVSE portable, you might want to pickup some adapters, like I did, to connect to other outlets:

http://www.evseadapters.com
you need to be careful when using adapter - unless the EVSE is adjustable to the correct amperage - this may overload the circuit you're plugging into - when plugging an EVSE into a plug via an adapter one needs to take care to set the EVSE to the correct amperage machine the breaker/plug setting they are plugging into - since the Bolt does not let you adjust amps via the in-car software you need to do this via the EVSE....

if you don't understand what any of this means or why it matters - don't use adapters.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts