Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Forgive my n00bness, this is my first EV. I just picked up a new Bolt tonight. So my building has an outlet so I can charge my car, however the bolt just came with a 110v normal 15a cable. My apartment has NEMA 14-50 outlet it looks like. So what kind of cable do I need to get to charge it up here. I'll ask my neighbors or building what people are using tomorrow, but recommendations would be greatly appreciated :D

Picture of the outlet attached.
you need to be careful when using adapter - unless the EVSE is adjustable to the correct amperage - this may overload the circuit you're plugging into - when plugging an EVSE into a plug via an adapter one needs to take care to set the EVSE to the correct amperage machine the breaker/plug setting they are plugging into - since the Bolt does not let you adjust amps via the in-car software you need to do this via the EVSE....

if you don't understand what any of this means or why it matters - don't use adapters.
You will need an adapter similar to Flexible EV Charging Adapter 30 Amp NEMA 14-30P to NEMA 14-50R by AC WORKS® | eBay
No problems. The built in charger in the car adapts to the higher voltage automatically using your included 14GA cable. And regardless of what GM says, you can use a 14GA or bigger extension. Ours is 25'. We have adapters for dryer, welder, and campgrounds, and a Tesla adapter, which was less than $200. Please note that you can't use their Supercharger.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You will need an adapter similar to Flexible EV Charging Adapter 30 Amp NEMA 14-30P to NEMA 14-50R by AC WORKS® | eBay
No problems. The built in charger in the car adapts to the higher voltage automatically using your included 14GA cable. And regardless of what GM says, you can use a 14GA or bigger extension. Ours is 25'. We have adapters for dryer, welder, and campgrounds, and a Tesla adapter, which was less than $200. Please note that you can't use their Supercharger.
Home Depot has many of these adapters, as well, but probably not the Tesla adapter.

I carry the AV TurboCord (has alternate plugs for either 120 or 240v and provides 16A @ 240v; not the 12A the OEM provides) and adapters to fit every need (except for Tesla).

To be honest in 3 years of two Bolt EVs, I have used it twice; once when visiting family and they had a 240v dryer outlet in their garage; and once when I attended a wedding down in Idyllwild and their only option was 120v!

41 - 42 of 42 Posts