Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen any mention of this on the forum...

2017 Bolt Premier stops charging when it reaches 30% capacity, and thinks it is full.

I've tried a few times with different styles of charger over 24 hours, and it is persistent - Vehicle was acting normally til I drove it out of town for the weekend, and now we're sort of stuck.

The issue is the same with an EnelX home type 2 charger and even with the 120v wall charger from the trunk, which seems to make it clear this is a vehicle issue, not a charger issue.

This is also the first time I've ever had the "Propulsion Power is Reduced" message.

I called the EV hotline, they can't diagnose, and the only dealers within my short range say the can't even see the car for at least a week.

I had the software update to reduce maximum capacity down to 80% done at Rosenthal chevrolet in virginia about 10 days ago. High speed chargers worked fine on the way out here. The drive out was the first time since the patch that I got into the 30% battery range.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
The 883 80% limiter update may have detected a bad battery. Try pushing the blue OnStar button to see if they can tell you the codes (DTCs).

Several folks have had the 883 80% limiter update applied to eventually find their car crippled and unable to charge beyond 40%.

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
11,139 Posts
Correct. I think the 883 update has a "new" monitoring system to detect a battery issue.
News Coulomb did a video on that a while back.
Eric doesn't know, and didn't say, what software GM may have added. He is going by the same documents the rest of us have seen, which tell us nothing about what is being monitored, or how. For all we know, GM has not added any new monitoring, but only changed their strategy for avoiding fires.

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
Sudden loss of bars, and range, is not a new problem. This was seen as far back as 2017. Cells fail. The car has always looked at cell group voltage as a major component to determining SoC. When a cell group voltage drops suddenly, the DIC responds to that voltage drop as a dumb robot would be expected to. It thinks the SoC is lower. If they had done anything new with the software, I would hope it would alert you to a failed cell. But it doesn't. It is the same old issue, and the same old response.

Perhaps now, with a major recall, the OP won't have to listen to techs saying YMMV for weeks, before they actually diagnose the failed cell/s.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
This is also the first time I've ever had the "Propulsion Power is Reduced" message.
This is a great test for finding out the condition of ones battery. Potentially exposing a weak cell. My first trip with my car after three years of ownership was the first time I got down to the low propulsion. I was a little nervous as this was the first time I really was testing my battery.

That said, the update might not have been the issue, but potentially a latent issue with the battery. Early production Bolts would just die and there was an update to at least let the car limp along.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Eric doesn't know, and didn't say, what software GM may have added. He is going by the same documents the rest of us have seen, which tell us nothing about what is being monitored, or how. For all we know, GM has not added any new monitoring, but only changed their strategy for avoiding fires.

I agree we don't know what and how GM is monitoring but they have stated numerous times that this update adds some additional diagnostics. Examples below:
"This software also contains new diagnostics designed to detect specific abnormalities that
might indicate a rare battery issue in the vehicle."
"This software also contains new diagnostics designed to detect specific abnormalities that might indicate a rare battery
issue in your vehicle."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't seen any mention of this on the forum...

2017 Bolt Premier stops charging when it reaches 30% capacity, and thinks it is full.

I've tried a few times with different styles of charger over 24 hours, and it is persistent - Vehicle was acting normally til I drove it out of town for the weekend, and now we're sort of stuck.

The issue is the same with an EnelX home type 2 charger and even with the 120v wall charger from the trunk, which seems to make it clear this is a vehicle issue, not a charger issue.

I called the EV hotline, they can't diagnose, and the only dealers within my short range say the can't even see the car for at least a week.

I had the software update to reduce maximum capacity down to 80% done at Rosenthal chevrolet in virginia about 10 days ago. High speed chargers worked fine on the way out here. The drive out was the first time since the patch that I got into the 30% battery range.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
Maybe we could merge all these 80% software "advanced diagnostics" threads?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sincere thank you to all the members who responded to my original post on the error limiting charge to 30%. The suggestions were very helpful.

Disconnecting the 12V battery for half an hour did not clear the issue

I had OnStar pull the error codes from the car remotely, and they confirmed error P0BBE error with the traction battery.

Not only was range limited to 55 miles or so... but the charge rate was throttled down as well - I could only charge at about 4kW. The 120 mile drive home took almost 11 hours. I was close to being stranded.

It seem suspicious to me that a battery with no issues over four years suddenly goes sideways in the week after the safety software update.

I'm getting this vehicle back to to the dealer that did the software update as soon as they'll take it.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,681 Posts
...It seem suspicious to me that a battery with no issues over four years suddenly goes sideways in the week after the safety software update.
Your suspicion should be that the software update has detected a problem with your battery, and has limited power in an effort to limit the risk of a fire. Having said that, just because there's a problem with your battery doesn't guarantee a fire. If anything, GM should have set the tolerances on the software very conservatively, to find lots of false positives rather than false negatives.
I'm getting this vehicle back to to the dealer that did the software update as soon as they'll take it.
Yes, do this. Hopefully, they will tell you that you're next in line for a replacement battery!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts