Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Great guideline to follow.

Charging stations should have something like this displayed near its chargers so its right in everyones face. Not everyone will go to the lengths of finding best practices.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Instead of leaving a note to let the owner of the already plugged in car about your electricity needs, you can leave the charge port door open. It's a signal to let other EV owners know that you need to charge after them.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Instead of leaving a note to let the owner of the already plugged in car about your electricity needs, you can leave the charge port door open. It's a signal to let other EV owners know that you need to charge after them.
Almost all of all public chargers near me require payment.

I'm assuming people don't expect someone else to pay for their charge?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I guess that would only work if the charging stations is free.

My biggest gripe is seeing ICE vehicles in those parking spots. Would be great if ICE vehicles are treated as if they were parking on a handicap spot without the permit.

·
Registered
862 Posts
My biggest gripe is seeing ICE vehicles in those parking spots. Would be great if ICE vehicles are treated as if they were parking on a handicap spot without the permit.
Oregon passed just such a law with a fine of up to $250 - HB 2625:

A person commits the offense of unlawful parking in a space reserved for alternative fuel vehicle refueling if:
(a) The person parks a vehicle in any parking space that is on premises open to the public;
(b) The parking space is marked or signed as reserved for alternative fuel vehicle refueling;
and
(c) The vehicle in the parking space is not engaged in the refueling process.

Note that the offense is not limited to ICE vehicles. EV owners who treat those spots as "reserved parking" without charging are also subject to ticketing.

One local grocery store has a couple of Blink stations with reserved parking signs. They are ICE'd occasionally, but just as often blocked by EV's that are parked there and not charging.

It can also be debated that once charging is finished, you are no longer "engaged in the refueling process" and can also be ticketed. This may need to be addressed in the future.

If the EVSE is accessible from more than one spot, and someone unplugs you when you charge is finished, you could get a $250 ticket. Someone who believes EV's are getting an undeserved free ride (they're out there) could unplug you and call it it in. Ticket time.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I thought electric vehicles has a lock of some sort when you plug it in to charge so people won't be able to just yank the plug out? i think the Nissan Leaf has something like this?

There's a few kinks to ion out of that law but it's a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The charge lock is more common in the EU, where charging stations do not have the cord. You bring your own and since it plugs in (at both ends), the car usually has a lock.

IIRC, the Volt had/has a lock that could be disabled in the setup screen.

Owners on the e-Golf forum have described a glitch where the car won't unlock the cable under some circumstances, sometimes even needing to be towed to the dealer to get it to release.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have a Level 2 EVSE at home that I built to handle up to 16kW, so I can charge over 60 miles in an hour, or the full charge in 4 hours overnight. I will never need to visit a charging station, even if it were free, and I have free stations near my home. I posted about it at another thread.

Why? Because I like in a small city and I travel less than 17 miles in one trip, and less than 500 miles a month. The Bolt EV can be my only vehicle.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have a Level 2 EVSE at home that I built to handle up to 16kW, so I can charge over 60 miles in an hour, or the full charge in 4 hours overnight.
No.
The Bolt Charges at a maximum 7.7 kW (on L2 240V) and takes 9 hours for a full charge under optimal conditions. Charge times will increase as battery and/or ambient temperatures increase or decrease from the optimal ~73 degrees F.
Chevy is stating "up to 25 miles per hour of charging", but charge rate decreases as the battery nears capacity. If you routinely charge after driving short distances, you'll get a MUCH lower rate.

·
Registered
639 Posts
that charging time isn't too bad considering you can do that at night from the time you get home till leaving for work. then charge up during the day whenever you possibly can.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Not many people routinely put 100 miles/day on their car, let alone the 200 that would require the full 9 hours to charge. I think the statistic is 80% have a 40 mile or less commute (round trip). Most will be able to charge in an hour or two with a 32A EVSE (which is what Chevy recommends).

·
Registered
263 Posts
A quick question for everyone. With a portable EVSE, where can you plug or not plug to charge your car?

I remember a fees years back that a man was for theft after charging his electric car at school while his son had tennis lessons. There was not sign saying you can or cannot charge your vehicle.

·
Registered
862 Posts
You can't plug in (without permission) where someone else is paying the electric bill. Public/government buildings are no exception.

If a stranger parked in your driveway, plugged their RV (and maybe connected your water hose too), you might be a little ticked. You don't need to post a sign saying they can't.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Then there are other obvious areas you can charge like at malls.

I bet eventually we might see Cafe's start to do this, wouldn't be surprised to see Starbucks trying something, easy way to get customers that have money to spend.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That bit of news was in 2013 when electric vehicles were still relatively new and not seen that often. Also, the car owner was acting like a jerk. In case anyone isn't familiar with the case: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2518717/Father-arrested-charging-electric-car-school-son-having-tennis-lessons.html

I assume public places like libraries and malls will have signs saying whether you can plug in or not. Best to ask if it's places like a school that doesn't have a designated charging parking spot.

·
Registered
730 Posts
That bit of news was in 2013 when electric vehicles were still relatively new and not seen that often. Also, the car owner was acting like a jerk. In case anyone isn't familiar with the case: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2518717/Father-arrested-charging-electric-car-school-son-having-tennis-lessons.html
I assume public places like libraries and malls will have signs saying whether you can plug in or not. Best to ask if it's places like a school that doesn't have a designated charging parking spot.

One good strategy is to plugin at coffee shops. Even some parking lots have outlets at light stands, along walls, etc. Running errands....you have an opportunity their, for example know some wholefoods locations will offer free parking for 90 minutes as long as you spend $20+ or whatever it is = groceries + charge up + free parking

Planning and having a routine helps.

·
Registered
70 Posts

It did say, "Kamooneh had been plugging his car into the school's electric car charging station on Saturdays for several weeks while his son was having tennis lessons on courts nearby."

He could have easily gotten out of this by saying, he didn't know it wasn't allowed, especially if it was a public school.

Michael

1 - 20 of 20 Posts