Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry, this was posted in the wrong section. I'll move it.

Hi,

When I visit my parents, I intend to charge from their clothes dryer 14-30 outlet. Which of the options will allow for faster charging speed, and how much difference approximately?
Please correct me if I misunderstood something.

Thanks,

[1] Have the OEM EVSE modified.
http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=31
This option costs $149

[2] Buy the Tesla UMC, AND either the JDapter or TeslaTap
This option costs $300 + $250

[3] Juicebox. https://www.walmart.com/ip/JuiceBox...25867657922391945281&affillinktype=10&veh=aff
This comes with a 14-50 plug, so I'll also need a 14-50 to 14-30 adapter.
This options costs $480

·
Registered
862 Posts
Just making an adapter for the stock EVSE will give you the same charge rate as option#1 (for a lot less money). 12 A @ 240V = 2.88 kW.

#'s 2 & 3 would both be able to charge at the 24 A maximum supported by the dryer circuit (30 A * .8). This is 5.76 kW or 2x option #1 . The Tesla will know based on the adapter used. The juicebox must be set to 24A to avoid overloading the circuit.

·
Registered
643 Posts
+1 for what DucRider said - since the Bolt does not have in-car AMP/charging adjustments - when using an EVSE from a 30 amp source (24 amp charging rate) - you'll need to make sure the EVSE (external charger) reports 24 amps to the car - otherwise the car will pull it's maximum 32 amps which would not be good.

cheapest alternative is the modified OEM charger
long term buying a Tesla Gen2 UMC with the 10-30/14-30 adapters will set you up for the future.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Just making an adapter for the stock EVSE will give you the same charge rate as option#1 (for a lot less money). 12 A @ 240V = 2.88 kW.
That's what I did, I bought an adapter from this seller on Etsy. It has good reviews, but I've actually never tested it because by the time I got it, my adapter was packed away in the trunk because I bought a JuiceBox Pro 40. I consider it part of my emergency equipment for overnighting somewhere that doesn't have a real charger.

#'s 2 & 3 would both be able to charge at the 24 A maximum supported by the dryer circuit (30 A * .8). This is 5.76 kW or 2x option #1 . The Tesla will know based on the adapter used. The juicebox must be set to 24A to avoid overloading the circuit.
FWIW, I used the JuiceBox (with an adapter) plugging into my dryer outlet (old-style NEMA 10-30).

And the JuiceBox is easy to set via the web interface to know how much the wiring can handle. The mobile phone app works too, but I actually screwed up with the app and thought I'd set it to 24 amps but I hadn't actually saved the setting, causing me to draw 32 amps on a 30 amp circuit for about 90 seconds until I realized. No harm was done, it didn't even trip the breaker (but would have eventually).

Based on that experience, and the electrical code, I actually usually set the amp limit to 28 amps for charges I knew would be less than 30 miles and down to 24 amps for charges that would take more than 90 minutes. (The electrical code says a continuous load can't draw more than 80% of circuit capacity, and defines a continuous load as one that lasts three hours or more.) I could play those games with the JuiceBox, I wouldn't be able to with the Tesla charger.

But I kinda agree the Tesla charger is pretty flexible.

On the other hand, the JuiceBox provides you with lots of stats.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Is that $479 Juicebox from Wal-Mart a Pro or Lite model? If it's a Lite model do you lose some of the configuration options via the app? You may not be able t set the max charging rate.

OP for your situation I'd probably get the Tesla UMC and J1772 adapter, will solve your immediate problem and provide the most flexibility in the future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are there any 2020 Bolt Owners in this group who have used the OEM 2020 EVSE on a 240volt outlet?
Is it safe for the EVSE and car?
Many people have posted no problems with Volts and prior year Bolts using the stock adapter at 240v.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Are there any 2020 Bolt Owners in this group who have used the OEM 2020 EVSE on a 240volt outlet?
Don't know, but I feel like "why bother". For $175 you can get an EVSE that will run at 240 volt and give 16 amps, not 12, and have zero worries.

·
Registered
username LT
821 Posts
Is it safe for the EVSE and car?
Many people have posted no problems with Volts and prior year Bolts using the stock adapter at 240v.
Thanks
Post the part number(s) on the brick or search for it here and the Volt forum and a better guess can be made.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Getting the wifi model may allow you to list your charger on sites like EV Match and charge for charging.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Personal opinion, if you are getting another EVSE, go for the 32A. If you don't need 32A, stick with OEM EVSE @ 12A.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
can you provide a link to this $175 EVSE ?
Kinda weird... I went into my purchased items and it shows I got this item, that is unavailable now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QMVNC6G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But what I got doesn't look like that. It has the nice 90 degree molded plug like that one, which is why I bought it, to fit nicely inside a weather-proof box.

What I got, looks like the one below, but this one has the bulky plug:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CX6YFP...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

So I got the box of the second link but the molded plug of the first link. I got this rectangular box version because it is IP66 instead of IP44 of some others, since I have it outside.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thank you for your help. I’m very new to the EV world…. Two months with my 2021 Bolt. I think I want to plug into my Nema 14-30 dryer outlet to save on ant installation costs. So looking for an EVSE that will due that but hoping for something that will charge at more than 16 amps….these terms are all very new to me so please forgive my ignorance

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thank you for your help. I’m very new to the EV world…. Two months with my 2021 Bolt. I think I want to plug into my Nema 14-30 dryer outlet to save on ant installation costs. So looking for an EVSE that will due that but hoping for something that will charge at more than 16 amps….these terms are all very new to me so please forgive my ignorance
The 14-30 dryer outlet will let you max out at 24 amps; this Clipper Creek EVSE is an example 24A Level 2 EVSE LCS-30P with NEMA 14-30 | ClipperCreek

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Bolt LT, Cajun Red
676 Posts
How quickly do you need the Bolt to charge?
Just one more option if it works for you: The OEM evse that came with your vehicle, along with a pigtail adapter to plug into that 14-30 receptacle will charge at 240v and 12 amps. Takes about 24hours to go from 5%-100% charge. Or 12 hours to replenish 50% of the battery.
The OEM evse is compatible with 240v, but it caps at 12 amps. You just need the pigtail for the proper plug.
By far the cheapest option if that is any concern to you.

Obviously if time is more of the essence for your situation find a 24 amp evse with the 14-30 plug like linked above to minimize your charging time (at a cost $). There are a few options out there. Most will be 16 amps. Just make sure you get the correct plug for your dryer recepticle.

This is my setup for travelling with the OEM: works great for an overnight charge.
Amazon.com : ONETAK NEMA 14-30P to 6-15R 6-20R 240V 4 Prong Male Female to 3 Prong Female Receptacle 20 Amp Welder Welding Dryer EV Charger Power Cord Adapter Adaptor Connector Connecter : Garden & Outdoor

along with this, which the OEM evse will plug directly into.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
One last item. Since the adapter delivers 240V on a 5-15 plug designed for 120V, there is a safety issue. An electrical lockout like the one on the right of this video (cost $12) will protect the connection from unauthorized use:

ga2500ev

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
No worries. Everyone here was a novice at this at some point. As pointed out above you would need a 24A unit. Most likely making it adjustable. Personally, I think the Clipper Creek is quite a bit too pricey for what is essentially a smart extension cord.

Might I suggest this adjustable unit, which can deliver up to 32A, is adjustable, and runs $200 cheaper:

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Bolt LT, Cajun Red
676 Posts
No worries. Everyone here was a novice at this at some point. As pointed out above you would need a 24A unit. Most likely making it adjustable. Personally, I think the Clipper Creek is quite a bit too pricey for what is essentially a smart extension cord.

Might I suggest this adjustable unit, which can deliver up to 32A, is adjustable, and runs $200 cheaper:

ga2500ev
would still need an adapter to plug into their 14-30 dryer receptacle. Ideally it would be better to avoid all that and find an EVSE with the proper plug if it will be a long term option.

otherwise: adapter

1 - 20 of 28 Posts