Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

When I visit my parents, I intend to charge from their clothes dryer 14-30 outlet. Which of the options will allow for faster charging speed, and how much difference approximately?
Please correct me if I misunderstood something.

Thanks,

[1] Have the OEM EVSE modified.
http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=pr...products_id=31
This option costs $149

[2] Buy the Tesla UMC, AND either the JDapter or TeslaTap
This option costs $300 + $250

[3] Juicebox. https://www.walmart.com/ip/JuiceBox-...ype=10&veh=aff
This comes with a 14-50 plug, so I'll also need a 14-50 to 14-30 adapter.
This options costs $480

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
How fast do you need to charge? you can make an adapter for the Bolt OEM EVSE much cheaper than getting it modified.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can buy the Juicebox and also get a premade 14-30 to 14-50 adapter from their website. The car can charge at a L2 max of 32 amps but the dryer outlet is only rated for 24 amps so it won't be as fast as a maxed out L2 charge, but will be much faster than your OEM 120V cord.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve used a JuiceBox with the JuiceBox 14-50 to 14-30 adapter to charge from a dryer plug. Worked fine. I should have set the JB for 24 amp max rather than 32 amp, the default, but I did it on two dryer plugs on 30 amp breakers and didn’t trip the breaker ;-)

For my home setup, I have a 14-50 outlet for the JuiceBox with a 50 amp breaker for “future proofing” tho the Bolt maxes at 32 amp 7.2 kWh. The JuiceBox can do 10 kWh at 40 amps.

-Joel

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I’ve used a JuiceBox with the JuiceBox 14-50 to 14-30 adapter to charge from a dryer plug. Worked fine. I should have set the JB for 24 amp max rather than 32 amp, the default, but I did it on two dryer plugs on 30 amp breakers and didn’t trip the breaker ;-)

For my home setup, I have a 14-50 outlet for the JuiceBox with a 50 amp breaker for “future proofing” tho the Bolt maxes at 32 amp 7.2 kWh. The JuiceBox can do 10 kWh at 40 amps.
Due to a mistake on my part, I also ran 32 amps from a 30 amp dryer outlet with my JuiceBox, but only did so for about a minute before I realized. I didn't trip the breaker either, after all it's less than 10% overcurrent so it'll take a while to flip.

For a short period, a small overload won't do any harm, just make the wires slightly warmer than they would be at the rated current.

FWIW, for short charges (90 mins or less), I set my JuiceBox to draw 28 amps. Still less than the rated 30, but not as conservative as 24 amps (which is the 80% rule in the electrical code “continuous” [> 3 hour] loads).

Now I've got a proper 14-50 socket and no more dryer plug shenanigans.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna LE AWD "Mr. Sparkollz"
1,243 Posts
I have a ZenCar EVSE, where you can choose 16, 24 or 32A. I bought it back in May 2017 for $400.00, but not it looks like it's more expensive. Mine has a 10-50P plug, and I think some sellers will ask you what plug you prefer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZenCar-Ele...vel-2-32-Amp-Duosida-Adjustable-/122553970958

I also bought two adaptors, 14-30P to 10-50R and 14-50P to 10-50R, $60.00 each.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076VX1MJ9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0778YDV7B/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Also, I have (somewhere) a 10-30P to 10-30R extension cord, because it was "cheap" on eBay:) The Tesla Tap is another $250.00, but it is on the J1772 plug side, which doesn't help with the dryer receptacle obviously.

Altogether, that's $800-plus worth of charging gear, plus the house EVSE (another $400.00), and of course the anemic 120V charger the Bolt came with. I do use it sometimes though, when we are staying somewhere at least overnight, when it can put 50 mi extra range.

The links to eBay and Amazon are not an endorsement of these online behemoths :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Making a cable for the stock EVSE (which can charge at 240V without ANY modification) is not hard.
Here are the components I used - took about 5 minutes:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XXN81B/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - $12.95
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PGVZ30/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - $18.58

Total cost = $31.53

I removed the "neutral" connector from the adapter and you can use this same adapter in NEMA 14-30 (Clothes Dryer, Stove) or 14-50 (Campsites & Parks).

https://imgur.com/a/nAtgB
https://imgur.com/a/9L4hB

(I tried posting pics but they don't show for me - the links should work though)

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm quite pleased with the open evse 40A kit I bought, it was a little challenging to build because I never tried building anything like this before.

This charger is adjustable it will charge at any amp you have available, I have a 40 amp breaker and I ran a #8 wire out to my garage.

I really don't need to have my car charge fast, if in the future if I need to make changes I can, plus it is portable.

https://store.openevse.com/products/advanced-station

·
Registered
Chevy Bolt EV Premier 2017
27 Posts
Are you happy with the Juicebox? I am thinking of getting it with 14-50/14-30 adapter, i read you should limit the amperage to 24A if the plug is rated at 30A.

You can buy the Juicebox and also get a premade 14-30 to 14-50 adapter from their website. The car can charge at a L2 max of 32 amps but the dryer outlet is only rated for 24 amps so it won't be as fast as a maxed out L2 charge, but will be much faster than your OEM 120V cord.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,
does the Juice box with adapter to 14-30 works well?
I am considering this option and also limiting the drain to 24A instead of 32A.
IT is safe? Does it work well?
Irene

Due to a mistake on my part, I also ran 32 amps from a 30 amp dryer outlet with my JuiceBox, but only did so for about a minute before I realized. I didn't trip the breaker either, after all it's less than 10% overcurrent so it'll take a while to flip.

For a short period, a small overload won't do any harm, just make the wires slightly warmer than they would be at the rated current.

FWIW, for short charges (90 mins or less), I set my JuiceBox to draw 28 amps. Still less than the rated 30, but not as conservative as 24 amps (which is the 80% rule in the electrical code “continuous” [> 3 hour] loads).

Now I've got a proper 14-50 socket and no more dryer plug shenanigans.

·
Registered
Slate Gray 2019 Premium all packages
135 Posts
Hi,
Irene
I just installed my JuiceBox 40 on a 10-30,works just fine, it should work on the 14-30 as long as you set the charging voltage to 24Amp before you plug your car.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Yes, it's fine. Set the current draw to 24 amps, not 30 amps (80% rule for continuous loads).

[Technically, a continuous load is one that lasts three hours or more. In principle if you just needed to charge your car for an hour, you could charge it at 30 amps, but you'd need to remember to set it back to 24 afterwards. I used to sometimes charge at 28 amps for that reason, because my daily commute never needed long to replenish.]

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Does anyone use the Clipper Creek?

I am considering this one and would like comments if someone already use it.
Thanks,
Irene
I think most of us are unsure exactly what your are looking for. Early on I asked you about your charging needs and gave suggestions about useful setups. I don't remember reading a response to those postings.

Honestly an EVSE is little more than an extension cord. And while there are different extension cords for different needs, at the end of the day all are just extension cords. EVSEs are exactly the same. As long as it has the right current rating (24A max for your 30A circuit), and that it has the correct plug, all of them generally work fine except for maybe the low end Chinese made ones like the Duosida found on Amazon. But any Clipper Creek or Juicebox are well known to operate effectively.

But it's just an extension cord, albeit a smart one that doesn't deliver power until plugged in along with the ability to tell the EV the maximum amount of power to pull.

Have you tested your OEM EVSE that came with the car with your 240V 30A circuit yet? You really should set up and test that before you purchase any other EVSE. Even if you turn out to purchase another EVSE, it's good to have the backup of the OEM EVSE ready even if it's not used on a daily basis.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
27 Posts
Basic charging need as everybody else. Charge at night through a NEMA 14-30 plug with 30A to cap at 24.
I plan to charge every 220 miles, that will take me around 20 days.
I am asking which charger do people have and if they are happy or if they have concerns.
I rad pretty bad reviews on amazon on the Juicebox due to wifi connectivity issues, so I am leaning towards others.
Irene

I think most of us are unsure exactly what your are looking for. Early on I asked you about your charging needs and gave suggestions about useful setups. I don't remember reading a response to those postings.

Honestly an EVSE is little more than an extension cord. And while there are different extension cords for different needs, at the end of the day all are just extension cords. EVSEs are exactly the same. As long as it has the right current rating (24A max for your 30A circuit), and that it has the correct plug, all of them generally work fine except for maybe the low end Chinese made ones like the Duosida found on Amazon. But any Clipper Creek or Juicebox are well known to operate effectively.

But it's just an extension cord, albeit a smart one that doesn't deliver power until plugged in along with the ability to tell the EV the maximum amount of power to pull.

Have you tested your OEM EVSE that came with the car with your 240V 30A circuit yet? You really should set up and test that before you purchase any other EVSE. Even if you turn out to purchase another EVSE, it's good to have the backup of the OEM EVSE ready even if it's not used on a daily basis.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Basic charging need as everybody else. Charge at night through a NEMA 14-30 plug with 30A to cap at 24.
I plan to charge every 220 miles, that will take me around 20 days.
I am asking which charger do people have and if they are happy or if they have concerns.
I rad pretty bad reviews on amazon on the Juicebox due to wifi connectivity issues, so I am leaning towards others.
Irene
Just use the OEM EVSE with plug adapters. You'll get 240v 12A out of it. Several of us on this forum does this and it works just fine.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.