Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,430 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Like I said a while ago (somewhere), in the area that I live and drive in (kind of Front Royal - Hagerstown - Sterling triangle) there I can see 8 public DCFC stations now - 1 in Front Royal, 2 in Hagerstown, 3 in Leesburg-Ashburn-Sterling, 1 at Electrify America and one somewhere in Manassas. I haven't visited the last two yet.

In addition, I know for sure there is one at Ted Britt, one at Stutzman (both Chevy) and one at Tri-State (Nissan), but I think the dealerships keep those for the customers only.

I other words, theoretically I can get kEVin rammed with 480V in ten places within 50 aerial miles from my house. It's also true that NOVA is NOVA and Virginia is Virginia, so I hope the new stations will go to where there aren't (m)any.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Like I said a while ago (somewhere), in the area that I live and drive in (kind of Front Royal - Hagerstown - Sterling triangle) there I can see 8 public DCFC stations now - 1 in Front Royal, 2 in Hagerstown, 3 in Leesburg-Ashburn-Sterling, 1 at Electrify America and one somewhere in Manassas. I haven't visited the last two yet.

In addition, I know for sure there is one at Ted Britt, one at Stutzman (both Chevy) and one at Tri-State (Nissan), but I think the dealerships keep those for the customers only.

I other words, theoretically I can get kEVin rammed with 480V in ten places within 50 aerial miles from my house. It's also true that NOVA is NOVA and Virginia is Virginia, so I hope the new stations will go to where there aren't (m)any.
While planning a trip to Luray Caverns, I discovered that Jack Evans Chevrolet in Front Royal also has a DCFC. I contacted them to see if it was available for public charging. The woman who emailed me back was very helpful and said that I could charge there. She said they planned to list their DCFC on PlugShare soon.

I was able to get enough of a charge using the L2 charger at the Luray Visitor Center while eating lunch, so I didn't need to stop at Jack Evans. So I'm not sure if it is the standard 25 kw charger that Chevy dealers have or not. But the public DCFC in Front Royal doesn't get very good reviews on PlugShare, so I wanted a backup backup plan.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Yeah, northern Virginia is part of the northeast megalopolis corridor.

When I used the DC fast charger at the Front Royal visitor center, several weeks ago, it was in a lovely location, but as with many DC fast chargers, the screen was unreadable. I ended up having to call the Greenlots service number to get it going. Once running, it charged up to 89% pretty quickly.

I have my fingers crossed that VW Dieselgate will put a charger on I-81, at Abingdon, so people can get to Tennessee from Maryland. A couple straight up to Rochester, NY would be great too, but I don't hold out any hope for that.

·
Registered
300 Posts

The one in Manassas is actually in Centreville around the corner from where I work. It’s in the Trader Joe’s parking lot.
Don’t try Ted Britt unannounced. They keep the charger buried behind a wall of ICE.

·
Registered
544 Posts
1 at Electrify America
I wouldn't count on being able to use this one within the next year. With the reston metro stop they are closing off the building parking lot with barriers that will only allow employees in the parking lot, there will be a separate visitors lot. The chargers are all located within the employee parking lot and thus will not be accessible to the public. I only know this because I work in the same building there.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I finished a round trip route from Raleigh, NC to Washington, DC with the majority of driving in VA. It went OK but I don't think I would do it again based on the woeful availability of working and available DCFC stations along that route. 4 out of 5 stations in Richmond were either not working or offline so the only reasonable option was charging at Heritage Chevrolet south of Richmond. It went OK but with only one fast charging option along that entire route I don't think you could confidently plan a trip around it. That specific charger was also only delivering 18kW and was also ICE'd by the dealership on my way home (luckily I was able pull alongside it to plug in). I had to charge for 2 hours in order to get enough juice to get back home.

When I arrived at my destination I parked at DCA for the week so I charged at the DCFC in Pentagon City on my way in. Plugshare said there were two stations, but when I got there Monday evening I found that it was overrun by Leaf DC taxis. Evidently these guys were able to get a city taxi license if they drove an EV, along with the promise that DC would build our a DCFC infrastructure. Of course that didn't happen so they're stuck driving across the river to charge at this public station. Over the course of 2 hours I saw 4 different drivers come in...many had to wait in line. I felt bad for these guys. P.S. their batteries lost a good 20% capacity over two years which I'm assuming was due to fast charging 3x a day along with the Leaf's poor battery management system.

Can't wait for a more stations to come online along this route!

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
The entire non-Tesla public charging (I hesitate to use the word) system, is a joke. Blind men and elephants, or herding cats come to mind.

Sometime last fall, we got an RFID card from Greenlots to use on a trip to Tennessee. The charger we used was free. Yesterday, because of poor planning on my part, we needed to use a Greenlots charger in Staunton, Virginia. There was nothing on the charger to indicate a fee for use. We tried to get the unit to charge several times, and it kept shutting down. We called the service number but couldn't get a tech. We moved the car to a regular parking spot, and went about our business. Returning later, it still wouldn't work. This time we got through to a tech who started the unit for us.

When we got home we found a bunch of emails on our PC explaining that we had no money in "our account" to start the charge. I found our password, and logged into the account. I added $25 from our credit card. Not only does the Greenlots billing department not communicate with their technicians, but they put this charger in a No Parking area. The actual EV parking spot is a car length away. We had to park on the stripped No Parking area, with the nose of the car almost touching the charger to get the cord to reach the other side.

The future of EVs ain't lookin' good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What I'd give for a DCFC in Western MD past Hagerstown.
It looks like a DCFC is being installed in Hancock, MD.

http://pluginsites.org/hancock-maryland-getting-dc-fast-chargers/

and

https://www.plugshare.com/location/177220

Of course, that's only about 25 miles west of Hagerstown, so it still leaves a large charging desert in Western MD. And since it is being done with a state grant, it will probably be an Electric Vehicle Institute charger, which tend to be slower. But if you are starting your trip in the Baltimore/Washington area, you'll still have over 50% SOC at Hancock, so the charging rate might not matter much.

Baby steps.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
It looks like a DCFC is being installed in Hancock, MD.

Baby steps.
Yes, but fortunately in the right direction, if what we are seeing is a trend and not just a coincidence.

I have just juiced up at a very new Electric Institute station in Hagerstown [https://www.plugshare.com/location/174341], if Hancock is next we can hope that Cumberland is to follow

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Yeah, northern Virginia is part of the northeast megalopolis corridor.

When I used the DC fast charger at the Front Royal visitor center, several weeks ago, it was in a lovely location, but as with many DC fast chargers, the screen was unreadable. I ended up having to call the Greenlots service number to get it going. Once running, it charged up to 89% pretty quickly.

I have my fingers crossed that VW Dieselgate will put a charger on I-81, at Abingdon, so people can get to Tennessee from Maryland. A couple straight up to Rochester, NY would be great too, but I don't hold out any hope for that.

The distribution of WVs portion of the Dieselgate settlement will be announced soon. We wish to get CCS DCFC (we have plenty of Tesla, but NO CCS) EVSE in 4-6 places around the state so drivers from OH, KY, TN, NC, VA, MD, and PA can travel through (I-64, I-68, I-77, I-79). We are hoping for DCFC in Beckley, Charleston, Huntington, Martinsburg, Morgantown & Parkersburg. Join us in keeping our fingers crossed!

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
The distribution of WVs portion of the Dieselgate settlement will be announced soon. We wish to get CCS DCFC (we have plenty of Tesla, but NO CCS) EVSE in 4-6 places around the state so drivers from OH, KY, TN, NC, VA, MD, and PA can travel through (I-64, I-68, I-77, I-79). We are hoping for DCFC in Beckley, Charleston, Huntington, Martinsburg, Morgantown & Parkersburg. Join us in keeping our fingers crossed!
Did you submit any of those suggestions to EVgo when they were seeking input from EV drivers?

I'm of the opinion at this point that I actually prefer to have multiple networks commingling in the same region. It results in both better distribution and added resiliency.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Did you submit any of those suggestions to EVgo when they were seeking input from EV drivers?

I'm of the opinion at this point that I actually prefer to have multiple networks commingling in the same region. It results in both better distribution and added resiliency.

...and competition, which could help keep prices down.

I like to see the day when DCFC sites on opposite corners of an intersection advertise "ELECTRON WAR!"

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
...and competition, which could help keep prices down.

I like to see the day when DCFC sites on opposite corners of an intersection advertise "ELECTRON WAR!"
Heh... I'm not sure they are profitable enough for that, but would an EV driver prioritize a Burger King over McDonald's if one had a charger and the other didn't? Perhaps.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Can we be hoping for a DCFC in Moorefield instead of Martinsburg? There are already four DCFC's in Hagerstown and one coming up in Stephens City, so another DCFC in Martinsburg won't do much for the I-81 traffic there. Instead, I would say Moorefield could be a good location, as through it routes 48 and 55 carry a lot of the I-66 traffic westwards to central WV.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Logic often doesn't seem to have much of a place in deciding locations (and number of units) for DCFC (it seems far too often).

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Can we be hoping for a DCFC in Moorefield instead of Martinsburg? There are already four DCFC's in Hagerstown and one coming up in Stephens City, so another DCFC in Martinsburg won't do much for the I-81 traffic there. Instead, I would say Moorefield could be a good location, as through it routes 48 and 55 carry a lot of the I-66 traffic westwards to central WV.

That's a good idea, probably even better than Martinsburg. Elkins could deserve some consideration, also. I am still afraid that the EV traffic volume would not support a DCFC station.

We have a perfect location here in Barboursville, WV, where a brand new mall is opening less than 1/4 mile from Interstate 64 Exit 18: 1) It would be the only Level 3 CCS EVSE between Lexington, KY and Lexington, VA; 2) Half of the mall is still dirt (unpaved) and trenching costs would be minimal; &, 3) Several restaurants will be less than a 100 yard walk away; and, 4) Charge for the electricity - the EV traveler will not mind! If the EVSE price can be kept under $20,000, I predict that this location's mall & restaurants could see a RoI (return on investment) of less than 20 months (a BIG deal in anyone's book).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts