Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems most of the charging maps I've found filter on "charge type." This is entirely irrelevant. When I look at a map searching for places to charge, I care about 3 things primarily:

• Will this charge my car?
  • How long will it take?
  • How much will it cost?
  • Are the chargers available and working?
It's obviously engineering types who are creating these maps because the first question fails.

Now I know some apologist will come along and claim that if you're driving an EV, you should know the engineering standard that's used for naming most of the charger types. Bullhockey.

How do we influence change here?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Look at the bottom of the plugshare screen and there is an icon for "about". Click on that and there is an option to send feedback to plugshare.

Edit: Look at the FAQ's under the "about" icon. There's a way to set up your car and plugshare will tell you which chargers are compatible.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
The Other Tom;490829 Look at the FAQ's under the "about" icon. There's a way to set up your car and plugshare will tell you which chargers are compatible.[/QUOTE said:
That is better than the myChevrolet app. The one time I looked at the trip mapping, it didn't show DC fast chargers around here at all, just J1772s.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look at the bottom of the plugshare screen and there is an icon for "about". Click on that and there is an option to send feedback to plugshare.

Edit: Look at the FAQ's under the "about" icon. There's a way to set up your car and plugshare will tell you which chargers are compatible.
I did not see that option in the PlugShare app, nor did I see anything in the 3 pages of FAQ results that suggested these instructions.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Try using Chargeway. You put in the make/model (and option like DCFC) of your car and it only shows stations compatable with your car. The higher the number in the station symbol, the faster the charge rate (the Bolt is a Green 4).
http://www.chargeway.net/easy-to-use/

They have a slider type system that allows you to adjust your current remaining range and the range you need. It then gives an estimated charge time at specific stations.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I can help with some of these points as they relate to PlugShare.

You can add a vehicle make and model to you PlugShare profile and it will automagically set the PlugShare filters so the charging stations are compatible with your vehicle.

In North America, there is a Power filter. While this won't tell you exactly how long it will take to charge, it should give you a good idea. Actual time to charge depends on many variables.

The way networks charge for charging sessions is not standardized. In the location information for a location you can find details around the cost (there is a free filter). This guide has a high level overview of fees by network - PlugShare: Essential Guide to EV Charging Networks

There is availability for some networks in PlugShare. For the networks that do not have availability, there is a check-in feature that can help gauge availability.The PlugScore each location has is a measure on how successful previous users have been with charging at that location. Here's more info on PlugScore - What is the green number to the left of the station label?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Now I know some apologist will come along and claim that if you're driving an EV, you should know the engineering standard that's used for naming most of the charger types. Bullhockey.

[/QUOTE]

Well I will be the one here to say it.

Yes YOU should know all there is BEFORE you buy a EV car.
Just like you would know that you DO NOT PUT Gas in a DIESEL Truck .....
Like how you would figure out HOW you would PAY for a new house BEFORE you buy it...

You should also know that if you drive it at 93 mph with the A/C on you are NOT going to get 238 miles to that full charge.

I could go on and on but obviously I must be in a snarky mood so I better stop. :rolleyes:
You have been a member on here long enough to have read the answers to these questions... or has your account been hacked?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Like how you would figure out HOW you would PAY for a new house BEFORE you buy it...

You should also know that if you drive it at 93 mph with the A/C on you are NOT going to get 238 miles to that full charge.

I could go on and on but obviously I must be in a snarky mood so I better stop. :rolleyes:
You have been a member on here long enough to have read the answers to these questions... or has your account been hacked?
[/QUOTE]
So I guess you know the engineering standards that apply to the cell phone you're using, the email servers that deliver your messages, and more.

It is patently ridiculous to claim any person should know "all there is to know." These are systems being designed and named by engineering types, and the content experience for the general public is terrible. While diesel is a one-off, when you buy a car, all you need to know is if it needs regular or premium. (Or in some places, mid-grade.) Numbers are attached to these grades so you can easily know what you need for your car.

Meanwhile, we have way, way too many charging standards; it's like each brand of gasoline is different, and your car can use only certain brands and you have to know which brand you can use so you don't pull up to the wrong station--stations which, BTW, are very clearly labeled externally, without needing to open an app to see which ones they are.

Why do so many people apologize for bad usability and bad user experiences rather than demanding they be made better?

·
Registered
725 Posts

So I guess you know the engineering standards that apply to the cell phone you're using, the email servers that deliver your messages, and more.

It is patently ridiculous to claim any person should know "all there is to know." These are systems being designed and named by engineering types, and the content experience for the general public is terrible. While diesel is a one-off, when you buy a car, all you need to know is if it needs regular or premium. (Or in some places, mid-grade.) Numbers are attached to these grades so you can easily know what you need for your car.

Meanwhile, we have way, way too many charging standards; it's like each brand of gasoline is different, and your car can use only certain brands and you have to know which brand you can use so you don't pull up to the wrong station--stations which, BTW, are very clearly labeled externally, without needing to open an app to see which ones they are.

Why do so many people apologize for bad usability and bad user experiences rather than demanding they be made better?
Three standards for fast charging, Tesla, CCS, CHAdeMO... for slow charging it is even simpler... Tesla (Tesla connector) vs Everyone else (J1772 connector) vs two standards for ICE cars Diesel or Gasoline... not that difficult.

Keith

PS: Why has everyone lost the ability to properly use the quote function?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts