Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new Bolt (Big Red). Signed up for ChargePoint and wondering if I need to sign up for these other networks.

I see some EVgo sites are displayed in the ChargePoint app which got me looking... Wondering about this ROEV billing partnership where you can use your ChargePoint account at say a EVgo station, etc.. Has this been rolled out completely? OR, are there some stations not supporting it?

·
Registered
782 Posts
EVGO has a pretty extensive network of DCFast chargers - you're going to want a membership with them - Blink is ok but not great

I have accounts with all of them so I can use any charger when I need to use it - all of them have a zero cost option to have an account - so there is no harm in having accounts setup and ready to go.

I have memberships with

Chargepoint
EVGo
Blink
Greenlots
Sema Charge

Charge point and EVgo are the most used , followed by Blink (once or twice), I've never used green lots or Seem Charge...

worse case some of them will make you carry a balance - for those guys I park $25 there and agree to let them charge my card when I dip below a certain balance

ROEV seems aspirational at this point but I look forward to it when they finally actually get it to work.

EVGo you can technically use any CC at any of their sites with no pre-existing "account" - I however having been a computer programmer, and technical lead for major tech company could not figure out how that system works - they have in fact designed the WORSE point of sale charger activation system I have ever seen in my entire life - just easier to have an account EVGo vs. attempting to use their just in time point-of-sale activation at their charging sites.

open some $0.000 accounts with the charge networks, throw their RFID cards in the glove box, and drive around happy knowing you can use their charging networks if you have to.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Charging Networks are very regional, however. We have NO Blink stations but DO have SemaCharge (with a SemaConnect station) EVSE in MD, our neighbor. Rather than getting accounts (and sometimes your CC# spread around) with all the networks, I looked at the (for fee) stations I would most likely use along the routes (only 2 so far) I would most likely take, and have only the ChargePoint card. I have never not been able to charge with a CC via phone call activation OR the CP RFID card.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Agree with the above, a bunch of RFID cards and plugshare to find the stations
The hassle and complexity of having to sign up to various charging networks is an obstacle to EV adoption. I eagerly await the day when all I need to do to charge my car is to pull out my credit card.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the info. Went ahead and signed up for the big-three in this area (ChargePoint, Blink, EVGo). ChargePoint seems to be the most convenient, guess I already had the RFID that came with the Bolt, but was able to board it to my phone (e.g. Apple Wallet). Others, waiting on an RFID, Blink does have an iOS app, EVgo doesn't seem to have an iOS app. Will plan on trying to use a couple just so I know how they work in case of a pinch....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just got a new Bolt (Big Red). Signed up for ChargePoint and wondering if I need to sign up for these other networks.

I see some EVgo sites are displayed in the ChargePoint app which got me looking... Wondering about this ROEV billing partnership where you can use your ChargePoint account at say a EVgo station, etc.. Has this been rolled out completely? OR, are there some stations not supporting it?
We can help answer that for you! ROEV is an electric vehicle industry trade association created with the goal to enable charging network interoperability (maps, payment, etc). It was founded by ChargePoint, BMW, CarCharging/Blink, EVgo and Nissan!

However, interoperability is still in the works at ROEV, though you can stay up to date with any news and learn more about it at the ROEV website that you linked to in your post! :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
just signed up for EVGO, as a just-in-case i need dc fast charging. very disappointed they don't have an ios app, and i can't add the card to my digital wallet the same way i can with chargepoint. they're catering to early adopters, and they don't even have a phone app? fairly lame.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I simply put the EVgo # (877-494-3833) in my contact list, and use a credit card for a pay-per-use session. They are VERY nice, answered after 1 ring, and (for occasional use) is truly no more expensive. I only use DCFC for long trips (VersiCharge Level 2 EVSE in garage) but if you use DCFC for all charges, having an account may save $$.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts