Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
720 Posts
In my case, I went with smart EVSEs because they have the ability to share a single circuit and I have two cars to charge.
It is all automagic this way and I didn't have to run another circuit.

·
Registered
786 Posts
With my smart EVSE, I am setting it up to do solar PV divert. The solar system publishes its power production and the total house consumption. When there is excess production, the smart EVSE will send that excess to the car rather than out to the grid.

Obviously the car has to be at home during the day. Since I work from home, it will work for me.
What EVSE/system are you using. I would like to do the same thing but do not know which EVSE will do this.

·
Registered
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier
46 Posts
I have the Emporia now for 1 year and it's fantastic!! The only issue for me was it's not CSA approved for Canada so finding an electrician that would install it was the biggest challenge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check out smart splitters. I use a neocharge splitter. It runs off the stove 50 amp circuit. You can research this option and you won't need to run a separate circuit possibly.
It runs either your stove or charger without plugging in and out. It prioritizes which it runs by which side the device is plugged.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I’m using an OpenEVSE with Enphase for solar. I have a Mosquitto server setup as my message broker.
Thanks. I was hoping for a simple commercial system to work with my solar system. I have Tesla batteries with a Tesla controller but no way to regulate the power used by the EVSE to just match the excess solar. I have set my EVSE to 24kW so it will be less than my other home uses except when the AC runs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a generac home battery backup system with my solar also. I have a juice box 40 smart charger that with the app I can adjust the amps on the fly to match the solar output immediately at any given moment. I can monitor my Solar output from the generac app also and I don't need to be home. You can adjust the amps from the juice box app down to single digits all the way to 40 or 32 if you get the 32 juice box.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have the Emporia now for 1 year and it's fantastic!! The only issue for me was it's not CSA approved for Canada so finding an electrician that would install it was the biggest challenge.
Just remember that in Canada and specifically Ontario, non-certified electrical equipment is not legal for sale and not legal for use....ultimately means no insurance coverage if something happens.
Had the electrician taken a permit it would never have passed.

·
Registered
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier
46 Posts
Just remember that in Canada and specifically Ontario, non-certified electrical equipment is not legal for sale and not legal for use....ultimately means no insurance coverage if something happens.
A permit was taken....the inspector was the electrician's "friend" lol

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Don't know Canadian law, but in the US insurance pays regardless.

If the electrician was found to be at fault, the home insurance company would negotiate with the business insurance to see who ultimately pays, but the insured is covered for sure.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Don't know Canadian law, but in the US insurance pays regardless.

If the electrician was found to be at fault, the home insurance company would negotiate with the business insurance to see who ultimately pays, but the insured is covered for sure.
Agreed, it would be the same if the electrician did the full install and/or the inspector if it was missed at that point.
If the homeowner is the one who sourced the unit (plug in) then there can still be some consequence since uncertified equipment is not legal for sale in Canada.
Anyway, there are good reasons why standards and testing bodies exist and I wouldn't touch anything that isn't certified.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
US insurance companies can and will investigate claims and either refuse to pay or delay payment. Selling your home without permitted work may go on in some states but you can still get sued later.
I live in an area that so far doesn't require permits and have built everything myself. Lucky for me my annual house insurance is an agreed price costing $250 a year.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts