Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot plug the charging cable into the charge port of my (post-recall-fix, 2019, LT DCFC) Bolt.

The problem is the metal "latch" at the top of the charger (see photos) is stuck in position, and physically blocks the top plastic prong on the charge cable. The charge cord cannot get far enough in to click into place. The latch itself seems to be locked in place by a metal prong coming in from the top left.

I think this is meant to be the mechanism that locks the charger in place when the car is charging, but now it is locking the charger out of the port.

I don't know what happened. One day it worked, the next day it didn't.

(I tried lots of different charging cables, and it's definitely a problem with the car's port not the charging cable. I only tried L2 chargers, but I assume no kind of charging cable would work. I turned it on and off a few times and nothing changed. I tried prodding it with a plastic stick and that didn't do anything.)

Ideas/suggestions?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive exhaust
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim Font
Automotive tire Font Automotive lighting Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
1 Posts
I cannot plug the charging cable into the charge port of my (post-recall-fix, 2019, LT DCFC) Bolt.
Hi Boltemort,

Good and bad news... our 2019 pre-recall-fix is having the same issue. It seems to have started since the software update that limited charging for safety.

Bad news, no one seems to know anything about it or if there is a fix or if it is a hardware or software failure.
Good news, I have a workaround that works, but is rather a PITA.

You are right that the issue isn't the latch itself, but the locking pin behind the latch. The pin should lock the latch in place during charging to prevent inadvertent disconnects, but for some reason it decides randomly every couple of days to lock when there is nothing plugged in, thus preventing the cable from being fully seated.

We've tried every possible easy solution under the sun to get it to unlock, but we've found only one PITA solution that works... pulling the 12v, waiting a minute or two, and reconnecting it. Fixes it every time, and is a complete and total pain... good reason to make sure you have a 10mm in your car at all times.

Good luck!

JWH

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,538 Posts
...We've tried every possible easy solution under the sun to get it to unlock, but we've found only one PITA solution that works... pulling the 12v, waiting a minute or two, and reconnecting it. Fixes it every time, and is a complete and total pain... good reason to make sure you have a 10mm in your car at all times.

Good luck!

JWH
Given this work-around, it may be worth load testing the 12V battery to see if it's starting to fail. 12V issues can cause all sorts of weird problems with EVs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this solved it - thanks @MJWH

Hi Boltemort,

Good and bad news... our 2019 pre-recall-fix is having the same issue. It seems to have started since the software update that limited charging for safety.

Bad news, no one seems to know anything about it or if there is a fix or if it is a hardware or software failure.

You are right that the issue isn't the latch itself, but the locking pin behind the latch. The pin should lock the latch in place during charging to prevent inadvertent disconnects, but for some reason it decides randomly every couple of days to lock when there is nothing plugged in, thus preventing the cable from being fully seated.

We've tried every possible easy solution under the sun to get it to unlock, but we've found only one PITA solution that works... pulling the 12v, waiting a minute or two, and reconnecting it. Fixes it every time, and is a complete and total pain... good reason to make sure you have a 10mm in your car at all times.

Good luck!

JWH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Boltemort,

Good luck!

JWH
You are a hero! Thanks for posting; saved me from a service visit (at least for now :) )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the pix and the info. I am experiencing the same problem. The latch is upright being propped up by the projected pin. Unfortunately, the 12v battery disconnect/reconnect is doing nothing. My car has had new traction batteries installed. Are there any other proven resets possible? Could there be a blown fuse?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the pix and the info. I am experiencing the same problem. The latch is upright being propped up by the projected pin. Unfortunately, the 12v battery disconnect/reconnect is doing nothing. My car has had new traction batteries installed. Are there any other proven resets possible? Could there be a blown fuse?
I did force myself to leave the battery disconnected for a full minute or perhaps a little more - that's the only additional advice I can give. That worked for me. Hope it goes well! I had made an appt at the dealer but they couldn't see the car for another 9 days!

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
12,009 Posts
Did you disconnect the negative and the positive or just the positive?
To disconnect a battery, you only need to disconnect one wire to break the circuit. It is recommended to remove the ground, because if the wrench should accidentally touch the chassis while loosening the ground clamp, it will not arc, since you are touching ground to ground.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are a hero! Thanks for posting; saved me from a service visit (at least for now :) )
If the chrome latch is up, like the bottom picture, it is not being engaged by the solenoid, and it is not preventing your J1772 from engaging. You have some other problem.
It is like the top two pictures. My description not as clear as I thought.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes - I see the problem now. That little pin in the first photo extending out behind the chrome metal piece. It looks like there is room to get a thin knife blade in between the black plastic pieces (where the white arrow is pointing) to where you could force that pin back to the left out of the way. I have jimmied many door locking bolts in this way. Would be worth a try.

·
Registered
2019 Premier, US battery
217 Posts
It looks like there is room to get a thin knife blade in between the black plastic pieces (where the white arrow is pointing) to where you could force that pin back to the left out of the way. I have jimmied many door locking bolts in this way. Would be worth a try.
Sooooo, just what is it you do for a living? ;)

·
Registered
961 Posts
Darn it... I am experiencing the same thing now.

Interestingly, the problem began after I picked up the car from the dealer after the propulsion battery replacement. That is about 2 weeks ago.

I will try the whacking solution.
Then I will have the dealer to replace the socket.

·
Registered
961 Posts
All right.
Brute force did not help.
A little of brain and force worked.

View attachment 39784

Took a flat blade screw driver and physically pushed in the metal prong.
It made this force whirling noise of a little motor being pushed in, but it stayed there.

I think something is messed up with this system... I never used the cable lock.

Charging now.
I hope I can disconnect in the morning :D

·
Registered
961 Posts
I plead the 5th.
Weak. :D

so, I disconnected no problem.

When and under what conditions, the lock will lock? Or the pin will slide?

BTW, a tiny knife would do it, but it would take a long time... my breaking in and entering experience told me here to attack from the above and slightly from behind.

1 - 20 of 221 Posts