Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

charging port will not accept charging cable

105K views 416 replies 144 participants last post by  HateBolt 
#1 ·
I cannot plug the charging cable into the charge port of my (post-recall-fix, 2019, LT DCFC) Bolt.

The problem is the metal "latch" at the top of the charger (see photos) is stuck in position, and physically blocks the top plastic prong on the charge cable. The charge cord cannot get far enough in to click into place. The latch itself seems to be locked in place by a metal prong coming in from the top left.

I think this is meant to be the mechanism that locks the charger in place when the car is charging, but now it is locking the charger out of the port.

I don't know what happened. One day it worked, the next day it didn't.

(I tried lots of different charging cables, and it's definitely a problem with the car's port not the charging cable. I only tried L2 chargers, but I assume no kind of charging cable would work. I turned it on and off a few times and nothing changed. I tried prodding it with a plastic stick and that didn't do anything.)

Ideas/suggestions?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive exhaust
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim Font
Automotive tire Font Automotive lighting Gas Automotive wheel system

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I cannot plug the charging cable into the charge port of my (post-recall-fix, 2019, LT DCFC) Bolt.
Hi Boltemort,

Good and bad news... our 2019 pre-recall-fix is having the same issue. It seems to have started since the software update that limited charging for safety.

Bad news, no one seems to know anything about it or if there is a fix or if it is a hardware or software failure.
Good news, I have a workaround that works, but is rather a PITA.

You are right that the issue isn't the latch itself, but the locking pin behind the latch. The pin should lock the latch in place during charging to prevent inadvertent disconnects, but for some reason it decides randomly every couple of days to lock when there is nothing plugged in, thus preventing the cable from being fully seated.

We've tried every possible easy solution under the sun to get it to unlock, but we've found only one PITA solution that works... pulling the 12v, waiting a minute or two, and reconnecting it. Fixes it every time, and is a complete and total pain... good reason to make sure you have a 10mm in your car at all times.

Good luck!

JWH

#4 ·
...We've tried every possible easy solution under the sun to get it to unlock, but we've found only one PITA solution that works... pulling the 12v, waiting a minute or two, and reconnecting it. Fixes it every time, and is a complete and total pain... good reason to make sure you have a 10mm in your car at all times.

Good luck!

JWH
Given this work-around, it may be worth load testing the 12V battery to see if it's starting to fail. 12V issues can cause all sorts of weird problems with EVs.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the pix and the info. I am experiencing the same problem. The latch is upright being propped up by the projected pin. Unfortunately, the 12v battery disconnect/reconnect is doing nothing. My car has had new traction batteries installed. Are there any other proven resets possible? Could there be a blown fuse?

#8 ·
I did force myself to leave the battery disconnected for a full minute or perhaps a little more - that's the only additional advice I can give. That worked for me. Hope it goes well! I had made an appt at the dealer but they couldn't see the car for another 9 days!

#14 ·
Yes - I see the problem now. That little pin in the first photo extending out behind the chrome metal piece. It looks like there is room to get a thin knife blade in between the black plastic pieces (where the white arrow is pointing) to where you could force that pin back to the left out of the way. I have jimmied many door locking bolts in this way. Would be worth a try.

#16 ·
Darn it... I am experiencing the same thing now.

Interestingly, the problem began after I picked up the car from the dealer after the propulsion battery replacement. That is about 2 weeks ago.

I will try the whacking solution.
Then I will have the dealer to replace the socket.

#17 ·
All right.
Brute force did not help.
A little of brain and force worked.

View attachment 39784

Took a flat blade screw driver and physically pushed in the metal prong.
It made this force whirling noise of a little motor being pushed in, but it stayed there.

I think something is messed up with this system... I never used the cable lock.

Charging now.
I hope I can disconnect in the morning :D

#417 ·
All right.
Brute force did not help.
A little of brain and force worked.

Took a flat blade screw driver and physically pushed in the metal prong.
It made this force whirling noise of a little motor being pushed in, but it stayed there.

I think something is messed up with this system... I never used the cable lock.

Charging now.
I hope I can disconnect in the morning :D
Battery unplug not working for me. Can you please advise exactly what ‘pin’ you referring to? I have tried everything!!!
Thx

#32 ·
Same issue in my 2019 and I thought it was my home charger...but now I see it isn't. I actually grinded my home charger latch so it now engages. But clearly the latch is down.

I have had a new HV propulsion battery replacement also.

Had anyone had success with their dealer fixing this?

#33 ·
Same issue in my 2019 and I thought it was my home charger...but now I see it isn't. I actually grinded my home charger latch so it now engages. But clearly the latch is down.

I have had a new HV propulsion battery replacement also.

Had anyone had success with their dealer fixing this?
I did not try yet.
I am thinking of simply disconnecting it completely. Not sure if that could cause another problem, though.
I am hesitant with my dealer as the service advisor is very... well... inattentive.

As I said - I pushed mine in.
Never ever had this problem before. I charged DC maybe 3 times in my 2 years of ownership, no problems there.
Since I picked it up after the battery replacement, the very first time I plugged in I could feel weird resistance. The next two times OK, until last night.

So, basically now I know the solution and I will go with it for the time being. I will just carry small flat blade. Simple.

You see, the problem is that the dealer must DUPLICATE the problem. If one cannot predict it, how they can duplicate? Pointless trip.

#41 ·
I was about to do the same thing when it happened to me for the first time, but I thought - heck, let's check the forum... so I managed to save time on grinding.

Thank you. Has anyone contacted GM about this? It just did it to me about two weeks and only two charges after the warranty battery replacement was done.
I did not.
But apparently they know...
And yes, it was about the second time I had to charge the car.
That is weird.

#46 ·
We're in Vancouver, BC.

This happened to us a month ago, about a week after our battery replacement (2019 LT). We took it to the dealership, and they ended up sending us home with a rental car we've had ever since. They said they had to replace the entire charging module and that the part was on back order. When I called the dealership a couple days ago they told me they don't even know when GM will be manufacturing the part so there is no ETA.

I wish I'd seen this thread before we took it to the dealership. :|

#42 ·
I had an issue like this today at work. I was at one of the sites we have a L2 and decided to plug it, charger wouldn't connect and I was wondering why. I left it be as I didn't need the charge but free is free right. Anyway I thought it might be this because we got the software patch but I can home and plugged in my home charger and it clicked right in. So our work charger has an issue. I also noticed the Leaf Mail car had no lights on the dash even though it was plugged it so I pinged our service guys to go look. Both chargers had green power lights and no faults flashing. It's weird but it was exactly this issue, charger wouldn't insert all the way and click in, but it's not my port lock.

#43 ·
Just wanted to say a huge thanks for this thread! I experienced the same problem (charging port not accepting charging cable) on my 2019 Bolt. Ended up doing that little trick with a flat head screwdriver to move that pin to the left and out of the way. You folks saved me a trip to the local GM dealership - thank you!

#47 ·
Happened again yesterday... but the pin was like 1/3 out this time.
Pushed it back in and back to normal.

Reactions: XJ12
#51 ·
I arrived home tonight and was unable to insert the L2 plug because the chrome-colored flap was locked down. My second traction battery replacement on the 2019 Bolt was completed on Jan 13. I've since charged twice at home. I'll note that since the GOM was reading 183 miles at full charge, I had run the battery down to 13 miles in an attempt to recalibrate it. Maybe a low state of charge has something to do with this issue? The 12V battery is 15 months old (new, because it had stranded me during a road trip).

Thankfully, I immediately found this thread and see that I'm not alone. Evidence definitely suggests a software screwup. This is something that began only after the recall work. The charge settings screen still thinks a full charge is 239 miles. Maybe that's another screwup? The new battery is labeled 64 kWh.

I used a flat blade screwdriver to push the flap pin to the left. It wasn't easy to get to, and it didn't go smoothly. It suddenly slammed over so I thought I may have broken something. But now I can plug and unplug freely, and it's charging.

How much longer do I keep this car? I had to stop evangelizing it, then tried to think about the positive aspects of the recall, but it's become a real drag. Am I going to keep a flathead now for whenever it locks out the plug (which will definitely be while it's dark, windy and raining)? Will GM fix this in a fourth software update before thousands have their entire charge port replaced by uninformed dealers? Will I get more than 190 miles of range this summer? Will there be a fire in a replacement battery? Is this "maintenance free" vehicle going to cost a fortune after the warranties run out?

#52 ·
Just happened to me. Traction battery was replaced on Jan 27, today (Feb 18) is the first time I've had the chrome flap locked down, though I've done many L2 charges since Jan 27. No DCFC yet on the new battery. No time to fiddle with sliding the pin over or disconnecting the battery at the moment, but I'll attempt those solutions before I try anything else.

-FAF

#54 ·

The problem is the metal "latch" at the top of the charger (see photos) is stuck in position, and physically blocks the top plastic prong on the charge cable. The charge cord cannot get far enough in to click into place. The latch itself seems to be locked in place by a metal prong coming in from the top left.

I think this is meant to be the mechanism that locks the charger in place when the car is charging, but now it is locking the charger out of the port.

(I tried lots of different charging cables, and it's definitely a problem with the car's port not the charging cable. I only tried L2 chargers, but I assume no kind of charging cable would work. I turned it on and off a few times and nothing changed. I tried prodding it with a plastic stick and that didn't do anything.)

Ideas/suggestions?

View attachment 39784 View attachment 39785 View attachment 39786

Ideas/suggestions?

View attachment 39784 View attachment 39785 View attachment 39786
This is most helpful— just started having same problem this week. Have a 2019 Bolt… had battery recall fix in November. Now cannot seat the charge handle fully into car charge port— latch is blocking full insertion. Have tried 2 charge cords, but think it is latch. Taking it into dealer tomorrow…. If others are having the problem and it appears to be related to failing 12V battery, then maybe all I need is new battery. 12V batteries have a limited lifespan so it may just be coincidence that the latch problems seem to occur shortly after the battery recall fix.

A month ago, could not get cord detached, but I don’t know if this is related.

#58 ·
UPDATE: Chevy first told me that the flange/latch was broken (stuck in place)… The good news is that they said this was all covered under the 5 year Power Train Warrantee (the 3 year bumper to bumper warrantee ran out2 months ago). The bad news is they said that the part was back-ordered and they had no idea of when it would be available so I could be without a usable car for an indefinite period. They have no loaner vehicles but could offer me a rental car…. They called back to say GM Engineering thought it might be a software problem. They also said my 3 year old 12V battery was failing so I needed a new one. If other posts are correct, then disconnedting the old 12V battery and replacing it with a new one might solve the problem. Other posts suggested it was a software problem and I note that most of the problems have been reported in the past 2 months…. Will update if or when they figure out the solution. Otherwise, off to Enterprise I go…

#55 ·
I had a problem as well but am unsure if it’s a glitch with software or an effect of the recent crazy weather patterns? We have been having some crazy weather swings here in New England. 50-60 degree weather and then down to 10-20 degrees. Took my car into shop because couldn’t seat any charger into my 2019 port. After 30 min. In aheated garage my car started charging fine. Crazy. Don’t know what to think.

#59 ·
I believe the phrasing some people are looking for here is:
"Correlation does not equal causation."

It does give you something to look at first tho! ;-)
Knocking on faux-wood namebadge holder, I haven't had that issue yet with my Bolt who has his new battery (7 weeks now).
(Of course, now that I said that, it will probably be like that tonight... ;-)

Considering the known history of 12v battery problems, that wouldn't surprise me at all either...
It will be interesting to see if we get any more information on this one...

#62 ·
I believe the phrasing some people are looking for here is:
"Correlation does not equal causation."

It does give you something to look at first tho! ;-)
Knocking on faux-wood namebadge holder, I haven't had that issue yet with my Bolt who has his new battery (7 weeks now).
(Of course, now that I said that, it will probably be like that tonight... ;-)

Considering the known history of 12v battery problems, that wouldn't surprise me at all either...
It will be interesting to see if we get any more information on this one...
Agree association does not prove causality. Replacing the dying 12V battery has apparently fixed the problem with the charging cable. But of course, it could also still be a software problem as disconnecting the battery to replace it is effectively control - alt -delete, a hard reboot. Most, but not all cases appear to be observed after the high voltage battery recall replacement that included a software update. 🤞🤞🤞 that replacement of the 12V battery solves the problem but time ⌛will tell….

#63 ·
Just started happening to my 2019. It and the 2017 have had the battery replaced so I'm teaching my 17yr old to push the locking pin back in case she is on the road when it happens. I'll be complaining to GM also so they get a new software load out. For whatever good that will do.

#69 ·
My 2019 Bolt (with the recall fix completed) just started exhibiting the same behavior. I haven't tried either remedy suggested (temp disconnect the 12V battery or push the pin aside physically), but I was leery about trying the latter thinking it might break something else.

One thing I noticed which I don't think I've seen mentioned above is that I had trouble removing the charger connector before realizing I couldn't get it to connect the next time I wanted to charge. I had to pull much harder than normal to get the charger out of the port, and if it was the same issue, how could you push the pin out of the way if the charger is stuck in the car?