Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
281 - 291 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
2017-2018 are likely the same.
There were changes to 2019 for setting charge level and who knows what so they’re not the same. It doesn’t matter anyway because GM has to fix it, not us.
GM has to fix it but it still matters in the meantime. It would be nice to know if there are any mitigation strategies. I haven't had the issue since having the battery replaced seven months ago. Is it my behavior or could there be some difference in hardware/software even within the 2019 model year? We don't have info on build dates, EVSE brands, etc. Maybe there's a pattern. All that said, we also don't have a good idea how common this actually is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some positive data - for now? ;-) My 2019 Bolt LT has not (yet?) displayed this problem. Charged exclusively at home (with a Mustart EVSE, no less), never DCFC, battery replaced in March of this year, 80% limiting software installed before. Varied types of charging - immediate, destination time, in hot weather always plugged in for battery conditioning, otherwise plugging only for charging. Charging mostly to 80% but occasionally to 100%. I guess I'll be waiting for the other shoe to drop... ;-) (I'll post my Mustart EVSE experience in a different, related area).
Well, didn't have to wait too long for the other shoe to drop. Yesterday I was unable to plug in my new EVSE. I tested my abilities and went for pushing the pin in. It worked :) My plan is to take the PIC6452B Bulletin to the nice dealer that replaced my battery and check with them: 1 - if they even heard about it, and B - if they know anything about a possible solution. I'll keep my expectations low ;-)

·
Registered
360 Posts
The mitigation is to carry a 10mm wrench.

It’s common enough.
I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. It seems to be working.

I just noticed someone mentioned the entertainment software differences between model years. I did manage to convince my dealer to update that firmware some time ago, FWIW.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This charge port lockout condition finally happened to us this morning... Our 2019 had the main battery pack replaced on March 24. Since then, we have charged with our in-garage L2 ChargePoint many times and have not noticed any issue with the port/plug being difficult. We used the info in this thread and disconnected the 12V for a minute and when reconnected heard the satisfying "whirr" of the port latch retracting. The battery disconnect did cause the time, date, and charge level to reset, but everything else on the infotainment system was retained.

The only thing we had done differently recently was running the charge down to about 20% after a further-than-usual road trip over the holiday weekend. We charged to 95% before the trip and after, that was Wednesday and I did not notice any problem with the port/plug latch. We ran it down to about 50% the past couple of days and this morning, Saturday, it would not take the plug.

Thanks to everyone for posting here, it made it quick to find and resolve our problem.

UPDATE: I contacted the EV Concierge and they had NO information and had ZERO knowledge of the TSB. Basically USELESS...
We also had our 2019 Bolt battery replacement recall done in March, 2022. We charge at home with a L-2 Clipper Creek charger. In April suddenly the charger would not latch into the Bolt, so we tried the 110 charge cord that came with the car. Same thing. By then we didn't have enough remaining battery to get it to the dealership and had to have it towed! They took 3 days to "fix" it, and it worked fine until mid May. Same thing happened again. This time we had enough battery to drive it to the dealership, again, 3 days to "fix". When I asked why this happened twice since the battery pack was replaced I was told it is a "software problem" and to expect this to continue periodically until Chey has a fix. I asked if this is a recall and was told, "No it's not a recall until they have a fix and we have no idea when that will be." Hello??? So now we can't let it drop below 100 miles and must be on alert to take it in for another 3 days for a "fix". There is no way we are confident to take it on a trip. This is totally unacceptable!

·
Registered
2019 Premier, US battery
241 Posts
We also had our 2019 Bolt battery replacement recall done in March, 2022. We charge at home with a L-2 Clipper Creek charger. In April suddenly the charger would not latch into the Bolt, so we tried the 110 charge cord that came with the car. Same thing. By then we didn't have enough remaining battery to get it to the dealership and had to have it towed! They took 3 days to "fix" it, and it worked fine until mid May. Same thing happened again. This time we had enough battery to drive it to the dealership, again, 3 days to "fix". When I asked why this happened twice since the battery pack was replaced I was told it is a "software problem" and to expect this to continue periodically until Chey has a fix. I asked if this is a recall and was told, "No it's not a recall until they have a fix and we have no idea when that will be." Hello??? So now we can't let it drop below 100 miles and must be on alert to take it in for another 3 days for a "fix". There is no way we are confident to take it on a trip. This is totally unacceptable!
Please read the posts about the 10mm wrench. You can "fix" it yourself when it happens.

You shouldn't have to, but it's much quicker/easier than any of the other "solutions" we have at this point...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my battery pack changed by recall 8 months ago and just started having the problem last week. It first resolved itself after a few tries. Yesterday I could not get the J-1772 to plug in. I wiggled and pushed to no avail several attempts. After seeing this board and finding the solenoid pin on the top left that blocks or locks the little lever I tried this:
1) Hit lock and unlock button on the keys several cycles.
2) Listen for a faint motor hum.
3) Use a small screwdriver to push the little solenoid pin to the left back into its seat. The lever pops up and Voila! You can plug in the charger.

I'm going to keep the 10mm wrench in the glove box in case this stops working. I suspect the software update thinks its a new battery, not 3 yrs old, or something like that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem recently on my 2019 Bolt (this never happened before my batteries were replaced as part of the recall - I am guessing that they also put in a faulty software patch). Anyways, I followed the advice on this thread. Got a flat head screwdriver and physically pushed that metal piece to the left and voila! - I am able to connect the charger again.

281 - 291 of 291 Posts