Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Bolt owner, as of a few weeks ago. I?m charging it, right now. The MyChevrolet App says 95% and 267 for EV Range. Is this odd? Wouldn?t it be 238 at 100%?
Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Now you know why the unofficial name for the range estimator is the "GOM" or "Guess-O-Meter"!
That range number is based on recent driving patterns, but being new it doesn't have a lot of history on you yet, so if you drive easy in warm weather and burn less than .25kWh/mi it will indicate >238mi range.

My GOM range has indicated >300mi several times this summer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now you know why the unofficial name for the range estimator is the "GOM" or "Guess-O-Meter"!
That range number is based on recent driving patterns, but being new it doesn't have a lot of history on you yet, so if you drive easy in warm weather and burn less than .25kWh/mi it will indicate >238mi range.

My GOM range has indicated >300mi several times this summer.

HA!! I?ll be sure to refer to it as the GOM from now on.

I?m loving the car, so far. Still learning about kWh/mi...honestly, pretty clueless at the moment. But I?ll get it, eventually.

Really appreciate your response. Thanks, again!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
That 238 miles was a calculated number created under "very specific conditions". Someone has already obtained >400 miles (430 miles with 30 miles remaining) on a single charge (primarily by driving under 40 mph for the whole trip) which is unrealistic. A "full charge" may get you only 160 miles if you drive 85 mph with a significant net altitude rise over that distance. Almost all of us get >238 miles on a charge with 250 being a good realistic average. When the weather gets cold, that number will drift downward. I don't consider those range estimates to be guesses, simply estimates. I do consider the four parameters (terrain, temperature, technique and climate settings [heat-A/C]) that Chevy puts in the equation to be the most important of the many factors determining range. Different driving situations govern which of the three values (max/expected/min) AND whether you are trending above or below expected, become more USEFUL for the decisions you must make. However, all are valid for the purpose they serve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts