Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plugged my 2019 in and set the charge level to 70%. Came back 3 months later to a dead car. Would not start. Couldn't even get an interior light to turn on. Assuming the 12v battery was dead I charged it and after awhile it rose from 3v to 13.5 volts. Took it for a ride, and shut it off upon returning home and it would not start and the 12v was down to 3v again. Put the charger on it for a few hours and it would not take the charge.

A friend of mine said that the
owners Manual states that when leaving the Bolt plugged in for more than a month, you had to also put the 12v on a trickle charger. MY manual said no such thing. I had the car towed to the dealer who said there was a recall on this issue. It required changing a "module" and connecting or disconnecting a fuse which was preventing the main battery from charging the 12v battery.

The service manager said that the 12v was fine and that all I needed to do for extended storage was to plug in my charger and the main battery would keep the 12v battery charged. No need for a trickle charger on the 12v.

My Bolt is home and happy but now exhibits a knock. When I open the door or start the car there is a knock under the hood. It stops when I step on the brake. It also disappears after driving a bit. This will be my next issue to be dealt with.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
My Bolt is home and happy but now exhibits a knock. When I open the door or start the car there is a knock under the hood. It stops when I step on the brake. It also disappears after driving a bit. This will be my next issue to be dealt with.
The problem with you 12 volt battery is almost certainly not connected to this problem. This is the Bosch i-Boost electric power brake problem. It has occured going back to the Chevy Volt, and on the Bolt since it came out. Some have had it replaced three times. It is a problem with a position sensor. The good news is that a forum member just had his fixed. They told him GM had come up with a software fix.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Would love to know the number on this recall. Do you have it in your paperwork? Also your battery may have suffered from being low for such a long time. Keep track of it for a while.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem with you 12 volt battery is almost certainly not connected to this problem. This is the Bosch i-Boost electric power brake problem. It has occured going back to the Chevy Volt, and on the Bolt since it came out. Some have had it replaced three times. It is a problem with a position sensor. The good news is that a forum member just had his fixed. They told him GM had come up with a software fix.

Thanks for the link. Back to the dealer I go.

Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would love to know the number on this recall. Do you have it in your paperwork? Also your battery may have suffered from being low for such a long time. Keep track of it for a while.

I didn't get the paperwork when I picked up the car. It is being mailed to me. Strange. I'll keep an eye on the 12v. Thanks for the advice.

Tom

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
These?

·
Registered
116 Posts

Had mine replaced early this year, and there was no software fix... can you provide more information?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am not sure where I read it, but the charging of the 12v battery stops after 30 days, and will restart if you unplug and plug the charger back in. Don't know why this occurs,,, I would use a trickle charger (also called a battery maintainer) on the 12v if I was leaving the car longer than a month. They are cheap: less than $25 for name brand. I would fully charge the battery with a smart charger (it will detect level of charge and taper off) and then see what the battery voltage is. Alternatively, buy the maintainer, leave it charging a few days and then visit an auto parts chain for a free battery test.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You are asking the wrong person. Ask TerryT...the person in the link I provided.
Thanks! Didn't see the link first time. This is a service bulletin issue, and if I had a service bulletin number, would provide it next time the problem occurs. I will have more confidence in the dealers if this is the standard fix from here out, not an iBooster replacement.

·
Registered
2019 LT
8 Posts
Plugged my 2019 in and set the charge level to 70%. Came back 3 months later to a dead car. Would not start. Couldn't even get an interior light to turn on. Assuming the 12v battery was dead I charged it and after awhile it rose from 3v to 13.5 volts. Took it for a ride, and shut it off upon returning home and it would not start and the 12v was down to 3v again. Put the charger on it for a few hours and it would not take the charge.

A friend of mine said that the
owners Manual states that when leaving the Bolt plugged in for more than a month, you had to also put the 12v on a trickle charger. MY manual said no such thing. I had the car towed to the dealer who said there was a recall on this issue. It required changing a "module" and connecting or disconnecting a fuse which was preventing the main battery from charging the 12v battery.

The service manager said that the 12v was fine and that all I needed to do for extended storage was to plug in my charger and the main battery would keep the 12v battery charged. No need for a trickle charger on the 12v.

I just had that problem, it is the brake booster. My dealer said that they had to update the software. No more sound of thumping or knocking. It has been OK for two weeks.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
I just had that problem, it is the brake booster. My dealer said that they had to update the software. No more sound of thumping or knocking. It has been OK for two weeks.
Do you have a tech bulletin number for this update, so folks can tell their dealer something specific?

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
The dealer did not give that information.
That sucks. Given the level of interest in working on EVs from most dealerships, if you don't come in with documented proof, and an official GM fix in hand, they will tell you you are crazy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts