Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a day trip from Houston area to College Station (110 mi one-way) with a bit of range anxiety, mostly because the available EVGo chargers are in parking garages and I was not sure if they would be full. First garage was full, second one was open, and happened to have one of three EVGo charger spots open.
I could not activate the charger by App, nor could EVGo technician by remote. I did note that my neighbor's charger was complete (not actively charging). The guy from EVGo told me I should just use the charger from the adjacent spot, which I did.
The thing I did not pay enough heed to was a sign that noted that the parking spots were for active charging only. I wish that I had plugged the non-functioning cable into my neighbors charge port - to honor their intent to charge.

We both happened to arrive back at our cars within a few minutes. I saw an irate young woman lifting my windshield wipers and moving my mirrors, and then heard her talking on the phone about a parking ticket. She didn't do harm to my car, just some attention getting action. I told her that her charge was complete (and privately noted that hers is a plug-in hybrid), so I was okay taking the charge cable. But the problem for her was the parking ticket ($35). Just to resolve the tension (and probably help a poorish college student) I gave her the $30 in my wallet.

Short conclusion to longish story - take caution when taking a charge cord from an adjacent car, even if the charge is complete. There may be more consequences than you think.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
It was decent of you to pay for her ticket and to own up to the mistake.

I tried to unplug another car twice- both times with the owners blessings. The BMW i3 physically locks the charge handle in the car's charging port till the owner unlocks it- so that was a fail. When I unplugged the charge handle from the Gen One Volt I found the owner had neglected to turn off the unplug alarm- I got an earful of full car horn blast for 60 seconds or so (and that was at the Supreme Court parking lot with lots of armed security people staring at me thinking I was trying to steal a car). Now I don't unplug anyone....

·
Registered
146 Posts
I once unplugged a Tesla Chademo from an EVGo so that I could charge. Tesla charge was complete...but yeah, there's an issue if parking rules are enforced...as they should be.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
...I told her that her charge was complete (and privately noted that hers is a plug-in hybrid), so I was okay taking the charge cable. But the problem for her was the parking ticket ($35).
Technically speaking, at least around here, you have to be plugged in AND charging. So if her charge was complete then she'd have potentially gotten a ticket even if you hadn't unplugged her.

Speaking of etiquette, I just recently realized that if you arrive at a charging station with multiple chargers, only one of which has a CHAdeMO plug, you should only use the one with the CHAdeMO plug if all the others are busy or inoperable. Otherwise you may unnecessarily block a CHAdeMO car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts