Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

The EV charging stations pilot for Tim Horton’s locations started in 2013. So far I have just heard of three towns who have it. Oakville being the main one.
Do you know the most updated news concerning that? Maybe I am optimistic but i’d expect that after 4 years, many other locations would have already implemented this...
:laugh:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I really admire the Canadian charging infrastructure. I have only browsed western Canada but it's amazing how many free DCFC and L2 charging stations are conveniently located at malls, stores, restaurants.

To have them at Tim Hortons? That'd be amazing. I dine there occasionally for the experience, easily half and hour with ordering and eating. That's another 12 miles in the Bolt at 32A.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The chargers located at Tim's in Ontario aren't so amazing. It looks like they're all on the KSI/MyEVRoute network, which is pricey and has lower powered DCFC (20ish kw). The complaints laid against them are similar to the ones we hear about EVGo in the US.

There definitely hasn't been a corporate initiative to add charging and doubt there will be, considering the very tight-fisted approach of 3G Capital. http://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/at-tim-hortons-its-not-business-as-usual-profits-are-up-but-so-is-franchisee-discontent

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm still amazed. At least an attempt was made. I thought they were just L2 chargers and Timmie's. 20kW DCFC!? WOW!

Here I am trying to get one of the larger malls near me to install charging stations. I even told them to purposely make them L2 for the main mall so people would spend hours in it and add DCFC ones near the restaurants so you have fast turn over.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The DCFC probably are only in Ontario because it's part of a program that was partially funded by the provincial government. The contractor, KSI, has done a pretty poor job of getting the stations rolled out and operating. Go on the Google Play Store and see how badly rated the app (MyEVRoute) is for this debacle, along with the really negative comments. Believe me, it seems like it's a great thing from afar, but it sounds like it's worse than EVGo down there, and what makes it worse is that KSI received over $10 million in grants from the provincial government for their contract.

Now that said, if you've been looking at what charging is like out west, BC, and Vancouver specifically, has been doing better than Ontario, by all accounts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts