Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I setup my off-peek to be 11pm - 6am, but when I pick Priority Charging, the start time is 11:00PM (correct), but the stop time (Complete) is being calculated at 3:30AM (not 6am). The car has about a 50% charge, so it should go until 6am. This is using the 110 unit at home. Any ideas how to get the software to go 11am - 6am?

Please see the images below...

Thanks,
Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Since the charge rate is so slow, I'm not sure if the Priority charging settings will take effect.

I believe the priority charging setting works really if charging will complete within a few hours, so the timing of the charging will adjust to the cheapest rate possible.

But with the 110V charger, the charge is so slow that you won't be able to control like you want.

In your example, I'm guessing you still have the 8 Amp limit on so approximately 3 miles of range per hour (you get 4 miles per hour of charge with 12 amp setting). At 50% charge, let's say that you have 115 miles of range to charge. That would take 345 hours or 14.4 days or so, which means that the estimation of charge completion should be sometime on (Wed) Jan 25th at 3:30am or so.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that "Priority Charging" only takes the car to 50%, then sets a charge for later (likely the next charging cycle).

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I setup my off-peek to be 11pm - 6am, but when I pick Priority Charging, the start time is 11:00PM (correct), but the stop time (Complete) is being calculated at 3:30AM (not 6am). The car has about a 50% charge, so it should go until 6am. This is using the 110 unit at home. Any ideas how to get the software to go 11am - 6am?

Please see the images below...

Thanks,
Jon
It sounds like the car is assuming you are using a 240V EVSE when doing the calculation for when the charge will be complete. 11pm to 3:30pm is 4.5 hours, and that is inline with what a charge from 50% to 100% would take at 240V.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Since the charge rate is so slow, I'm not sure if the Priority charging settings will take effect.

I believe the priority charging setting works really if charging will complete within a few hours, so the timing of the charging will adjust to the cheapest rate possible.

But with the 110V charger, the charge is so slow that you won't be able to control like you want.

In your example, I'm guessing you still have the 8 Amp limit on so approximately 3 miles of range per hour (you get 4 miles per hour of charge with 12 amp setting). At 50% charge, let's say that you have 115 miles of range to charge. That would take 345 hours or 14.4 days or so, which means that the estimation of charge completion should be sometime on (Wed) Jan 25th at 3:30am or so.
If you are charging at 4 miles per hour and you need 115 miles that works out to about 29 hours not 345 hours. Above calculation missed a decimal point.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you are charging at 4 miles per hour and you need 115 miles that works out to about 29 hours not 345 hours. Above calculation missed a decimal point.
Thanks @TotaledJetta you are right, I had an arithmetic error, but it was even worse, I multiplied when I should have divided. I was using 3 miles range / hour of charge for the calculation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the question becomes, how do you tell the Bolt to calculate using 110 vs 240V EVSE? Is there an override anywhere in the software?

·
Registered
118 Posts
The J1772 protocol does all the work... In lay man's term, plug it in the connection , the intelligence between the Bolt and the wall unit negotiates the appropriate signals and strength if charge.

So the question becomes, how do you tell the Bolt to calculate using 110 vs 240V EVSE? Is there an override anywhere in the software?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I reported the issue to the dealer, who escalated it back to Chevy, and I got a call from Chevy saying that there is a bug in their charging time calculation when using the 110 charger with the Bolt powered down. They are working on a fix for it, but he could not give me the timing of the over the air update. That being said, he did give me a work-a-round for the issue.

1) Start the Bolt (power button on)
2) Plug in the 110 unit to your wall plug
3) Plug in the connector to the Bolt
4) Turn off the Bolt (power button off)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts