Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was charging the other day at a Level 2 public charger and onstar notified me that the charger stopped charging and to check the vehicle. I got in the car and pressed start to see the kilawatts charging and it would fluctuate between 0 and 0.5 kw. The car was at 80%. I unplugged the cord and then plugged it back in at then it said 7 kw, after about 5 mins I got the text from onstar again saying the charging stopped. Checking it a second time it said 0 and 0.5 kw. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
As I write this, I'm sitting on a public charger without issue. Sounds like the public charger is faulty. Does it happen at all public chargers?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
That has happened to me on occasion at the local Chargepoint station near my job.
It started happening more frequently mid July till it finally failed late July. The station been removed and awaiting replacement (three+ months so far!).
According the the authority having jurisdiction- it was approximately 7yrs old.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats interesting because one was a Volta station and the other a Chargepoint station. I wonder if its a compatibility issue or battery heat related or just random?

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Thats interesting because one was a Volta station and the other a Chargepoint station. I wonder if its a compatibility issue or battery heat related or just random?
I'd pick random until it happens at a third station. But, may want to inspect connectors to see if any foreign object debris (FOD) is an issue. Dirt does strange things to electrical connectors. But caution, I saw some dirt on the public charger and I got a shock from the unit when I touched it. It was not active and it was only static discharge. But geez did I jump out of my skin when I know that the thing is high voltage. Felt silly afterwards.

·
Registered
592 Posts
That has happened to me on occasion at the local Chargepoint station near my job.
It started happening more frequently mid July till it finally failed late July. The station been removed and awaiting replacement (three+ months so far!).
According the the authority having jurisdiction- it was approximately 7yrs old.
Chargepoint stations seem to have a reliability issue. The ones at my workplace have needed repair/replacement far more frequently than they should have IMO.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ at least your stations get repaired Professor....
We have an orange road cone over the cement pad where the dead Chargepoint station was removed three+ months ago :mad:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just leased a Bolt. Like last Friday. Just tried charging it and had somewhat similar issues. Plugged mine and Level 2 charger would stop and start as the Bolt kept dropping the connection. I had a couple of 5-6 minute runs where it charged, but then ultimately would drop. Shot a video to show how strange it was acting:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uxdELgypdxfnSoWQ6PKvFGLHuuoYLwR9

Taking it back to dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, it gets more confusing.

I tried it at my home Level 2 charger last night.
Then I tried it at a Level 2 charger at a Walgreens.
But then this morning, I plugged it in at home and it appears to be working.
Which makes me think I had some strange energy savings setting on. But I know I had it set to immediate with no special energy rates filtering.
Anything I'm missing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay, so I made it to work, where we have Level 2 chargers. I plug it in and get the same problem. Charging starts and stops constantly.

So I take it to a Chevrolet dealer and the service manager immediately says he sees this all the time with new Bolts - his diagnosis is dealership I got it from didn't top the battery coolant. I didn't even realize these cars had battery coolant? He believes this is what is shutting down the charging.

My car had literally arrived off of the truck the night before. The dealer was successfully able to charge it. So perhaps it was cool enough not to trip anything at that point.

And this morning I was able to charge for a big. Again, it was cool at that point.

But when I got to work - no go.

So hopefully this is indeed the problem. Will know shortly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay, spoke too soon.

Turns out the receptacle was bad - this long cable thing that has the charging port on one end and connects somehow to the battery CPU.

Apparently, this can happen if the part collects moisture, which can happen if a part has been on a shelf for a long period of time. Since my car is a 2017, perhaps that part wasn't inventoried properly before being utilized. I dunno. But the technician says it is holding a consistent charge now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've experienced the exact same problem with my 2017 Bolt:

1. The car would charge 10 or 20 minutes and then stop. Most of the time, it just refuses to charge. The charge indicator light under the front windshield would briefly light orange and then just go out. Sometimes it would light orange a minute later but then stop. The car was more likely to charge after it had been driven for at least 10 minutes.

2. Two to three times the communication between the Chevrolet APP and the car failed.

3. One particular day, the mileage remaining reported on the Chevrolet APP did not match the actual mileage remaining in the car! We did not see a repeat of this.

4. Occasionally, the Bolt EV logo stayed on the screen for five minutes before it would change into the usual home screen.

5. The car often cannot be preconditioned either by using the keyfob buttons or by the Chevrolet APP.

All the problems above happened within the last month (the car is 1 year and 4 months old). We got the car in October of 2017. The dealer said that all the diagnosis showed that the car had no problem. It said that it could be the problem with our Charge Point charger, however, as I explained to him when this problem first manifested I called ChargePoint (the supplier for my home charger) and they sent a brand-new replacement unit! After I swapped the units the problems continued absolutely unchanged!

I brought the car to the dealership where I bought it and they said they did some updates on particular pieces of software, but again, there is no change in the charging behavior of the car.

One more piece of info: this started happening just over two weeks ago when the recent Polar Vortex hit. I'm beginning to be inclined that the problem may be the humidity problem described by craystephenson above. I will revert to the dealership, but any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was charging the other day at a Level 2 public charger and onstar notified me that the charger stopped charging and to check the vehicle. I got in the car and pressed start to see the kilawatts charging and it would fluctuate between 0 and 0.5 kw. The car was at 80%. I unplugged the cord and then plugged it back in at then it said 7 kw, after about 5 mins I got the text from onstar again saying the charging stopped. Checking it a second time it said 0 and 0.5 kw. Anyone else experiencing this issue?
Having the same issue in two different cities

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Well, if it only takes a few minutes, plug in the EVSE, go sit in the car and turn it on, then use your phone to record until the weirdness happens. Then take it to Chevy dealer for a warranty claim. (the battery AND charging system is warranted for 8 years).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts