Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone has experience, good and bad, charging their Bolt in the Greenwich Village area of New York City. I have to make my first Bolt trip there soon. Looks like I can make it from northeastern West Virginia to NYC with only one charging stop in Harrisburg, PA. Once in the city, however, it looks like a crap shoot. Plugshare shows lots of choices, but I'd love to hear of anyone's actual experience. To expand my options I'll be traveling with a Tesla Tap and Tesla UMC-2 portable charger. Thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have used the 50 kW EVGo L3 unit at the Walgreens near Prospect Park Brooklyn many times. It has never let me down. There is a meh coffee shop/diner a couple blocks away but I usually just sit in the car.

The Hudson tunnels are often backed up....you can take the verazano (sp?) bridge to Brooklyn, fast charge at my unit, and then take the Brooklyn bridge to the Village. You can then reverse the process and charge again in Brooklyn (if needed) on the way home.

The chargers on the Jersey Turnpike (95) are quite nice if you are ok with rest area food.

I have found the L2's in the City to often be in very poor repair and consider NYC to be a charging desert. If there are no recent checkins in Plugshare they are probably a waste of time. And driving uptown in Manhattan and back just to charge is IMO more of a hassle than my Brooklyn route.

My wif loves driving the Bolt in NYC...quiet, small, and lots of darting ability. :x

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks just frank. I hadn't thought about Brooklyn. Good to know there is a reliable place to charge there. It will be my backup if I can't find an operable level 2 in a parking garage in the Village.

I've been eyeing those Jersey Turnpike locations. Normally I travel via I-78 but could easily take the Turnpike and link up with the PA Turnpike at Philly. Thanks for attesting to their reliability.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just completed my NYC trip, and the Bolt performed beautifully. Leaving from my home in northeast West Virginia I traveled I-70 to I-81 and onto the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Stopped for a first charge at an EVgo station located at a Rutters just off the pike in Harrisburg. Thanks to the recommendation from "just frank" I followed the Penna Turnpike onto the New Jersey Turnpike and charged again at an EVgo in the Joyce Kilmer Service Area. Very convenient and gave me confidence I'd get into the city with no problem. As chance would have it I was forced to get a last minute hotel room my first night, which put me in a DoubleTree on West 29th near 6th Avenue. I pulled into a parking garage almost directly opposite the hotel and noticed an "electric car charging" sign on a post. I asked the attendant who said he didn't know anything about it and had to call "the boss" to find out. Sure enough right around the corner was a Chargepoint terminal just waiting for an EV to come along. Apparently Chargepoint doesn't know it's there either, because it doesn't appear on their map of NYC charging locations (although their accounting department knows). So cool. Full charge overnight, enough juice to last my week (mostly parked) in the city and to get back on the NJ Pike to head home. The Bolt was perfect for driving in the city, including the grueling crawl to the Holland Tunnel.

At the end of a week, with daughter and the contents of her dorm room packed in the Bolt (everything fit!), I followed the NJ Pike again and headed for the Molly Pitcher Service Area to top off for the Harrisburg leg. The Pitcher EVgo was poorly signed, leading me to the wrong place with no legal way to backtrack to the station's actual location. I had to pick a spot of no incoming traffic to drive against direction to get to the charger. Very poor signage and service area design. Fortunately no cop around. Topped off next to a Model X then back to the Harrisburg EVgo and home with no further problems. What a great car! So much fun to travel in, and it will only get better as the charging network expands.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts