Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there.

I'm thinking of getting a new Chevy Bolt. I talked to the man at the dealership and he said that Chevy Bolts only charge on 110V or 240V plugs. I had a 250V electric car plug installed in my house. Can I charge the Chevy Bolt through this plug or do I need to get a special adapter?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Hey there.

I'm thinking of getting a new Chevy Bolt. I talked to the man at the dealership and he said that Chevy Bolts only charge on 110V or 240V plugs. I had a 250V electric car plug installed in my house. Can I charge the Chevy Bolt through this plug or do I need to get a special adapter?

Thanks
It may be marked 250V but probably is only 240V in actual voltage. 250V is the max rating of the outlet. You should be fine.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Hey there.

Thanks
Every Bolt comes with a Level 1 EVSE located in the cargo area. This EVSE is designed to operate using a standard 110 volt outlet, and will deliver about 1 kilowatt per hour, or about 4 miles of range per hour. Since the Bolt has a 60 kw battery, it will take over two days to completely charge at this rate.

Many threads on this forum have indicated that the included Level-1 EVSE can be used on a 220 volt outlet. An adapter would be needed, a short extension cord with a 110-volt female socket at one end, and a 220-volt male plug at the other. The exact male plug needed would depend on the type of outlet you have, as there are a few different common types.

Using this setup will deliver about 3 kilowatts per hour, tripling charge capacity at a very small cost. It would still take about 20 hours to fully charge the car.

A full powered Level-2 EVSE would be rated to deliver at least 32 amps, that’s the maximum amperage that the Bolt will accept, which works out to about 7 kilowatts per hour. This rate would fully charge the Bolt in about 8 hours.

These EVSEs are available from a number of manufacturers, and cost around $400-$700, plus the cost of installation, which can vary greatly depending upon existing house wiring and outlet location.

Even though you already have a 220-volt outlet, it may or may not be rated to accept a high powered Level-2 EVSE. An electrician would need to check the wiring and circuit breakers to see if they’re up to code. A typical EVSE rated to deliver 32 amps would need at least a 40-amp circuit breaker and 8-gauge wiring.

If you do a search on this forum you’ll find a lot more information on the options availabile for charging.

Note, the terms 110-volt and 120-volt are equivalent, as are 220-volt and 240-volt. Actual delivered voltages vary, but 110-120 refers to an outlet with one hot wire, and 220-240 refers to an outlet with two hot wires.

I’m no electrician, but there are plenty of discussions that go into much greater detail on charging options and technical electrical issues elsewhere on this forum.

Good luck, whatever choice you make.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.