Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Just a quick note to say that I called XCEL ENERGY in Colorado and asked if they had reduced billing for an electric car.

That is how I learned about their new "time of day residential billing" pilot.

1) You sign up
2) They install a new time-of-day meter
3) You get .08 / Kilowatt between 9pm and 9am

Interested? call Paul at XCEL Energy at 715-737-4036 to sign up. THIS PILOT PROGRAM IS ONLY AVAILABLE IN COLORADO.

So, new meter, free.

Costco Siemens Charger, $460.00 https://www.costco.com/.product.100295506.html?EMID=B2C_2018_0112_Flowers

Electrician putting in a new garage subpanel, 40 amp breaker, and wiring my 240 plug: $1500

I'm all in for, let's say $2000

With a Bolt 60 KW battery, that means $4.80 for a full charge, likely, per week. (...but I travel, and DEN provides free L1 or L2 charging in the parking structure, so that is a free charge when I'm flying, which is a lot).

Estimate that gas would have cost me at least $25.00 / week, that's 80 weeks to recover my install, and I'm still well into breaking even and starting to save serious cash in well under the two year mark. And that is not even counting the savings from oil changes, etc.

:D

Reactions: Joule

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,684 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but I had TOU-EV with SCE in CA in 1997, over twenty years ago. The super off-peak rate at that time was $.04/kWh, with on-peak at $.32/kWh. On-peak was from 10AM to 3PM. I had solar PV as well, so the time-shifted energy savings were phenomenal. They credited solar production directly with the value at the time it was produced. Note that solar PV produces the most during those on-peak hours, while we were at work. I made money for a few years (and paid off my solar in eight years), until SCE figured out that it wasn't a sustainable business model. Sigh...those were the good old days...

Also, the GM EV-1 all-electric vehicle was a kick in the pants to drive. From 1997-2001 we leased three of them...two of them at the same time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1

·
Registered
26 Posts
Where I live (Bailey CO) not Excel, IREA. According to the literature with my bill, they will be installing smart meters to all customers. Right now rate is $0.123/kWh. No word if there will be any peak/off peak billing structure. Cool that Excel has a reduced rate off peak. Good info, thanks for posting.
-Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts