Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ohh 1st posting on this section !:cool:

Ok, so I just need some racks for occasional stuff from Home Depot things or something long.

I do not need Thule, or what ever it is. Not about to spend $100 on something that I won't use but a few times a year.

Any idea ??

Is there something I should look for in the connection?
I have never owned a roof rack before.

·
Registered
130 Posts
First, do you have an LT or Premier?

Second, there are no factory crossbars yet (that I am aware of). The only kit out is a Thule set. I only priced it for LT, and it was $509 with aero bars. So you are probably dreaming if you think you can get them for $100.

The Thule kits break down into three components -- bars, pillars, and mounts. I know the mounts are $109. I think the pillars and bars are about $199 per pair or set. The reason I point this out is that the kit for my wife's Accord and my Bolt use the same pillars and bars. I just need to pick up a different mount kit for each, so I could pay $509 for my car, and then $109 for the mounts that fit hers.

If you have a Premier, you might want to wait and see if Chevy releases their own crossbars. Much cheaper, but typically less load capable too.

Ohh 1st posting on this section !:cool:

Ok, so I just need some racks for occasional stuff from Home Depot things or something long.

I do not need Thule, or what ever it is. Not about to spend $100 on something that I won't use but a few times a year.

Any idea ??

Is there something I should look for in the connection?
I have never owned a roof rack before.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:( I have the Premier so the rails are there.

I will assume that in time they will make cheaper ones. I see them at Walmart.

I just really don't want to spend that amount on something that I don't need. $500 is not worth it to me. now if I was an Outdoorsy person Sure that would be the 1st thing on my list but... I am not.

Thank you for the info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i had same problem as did not want to spend 550 on thule racks. found fabricator that makes them for around 200-250. i purchased one and now having it anodized black so my final cost is 250
here is contact: [email protected]
good luck

·
Registered
119 Posts
Picture?

·
Registered
758 Posts

Any ideas ??.
2x4 cross beams, screw some steel angled brackets into the rails and wood. Ratchet straps to secure the cargo. If 100$ is too much, that is about the level of what you can do.

And it would probably work well.

I kind of agree with your sentiment, I bought $150 rails for my long gone station wagon and used them once. So dumb. I think they are still in my garage.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I used some foam temporary kayak mounts on the roof on other cars. If I had a need for a temporary roof rack, I would use them again with a combination of straps. That way, no permanent mounting hardware to cause wind noise and ruin your peace and quiet of the Bolt.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OMG you guys are GREAT ! Why the **** didn't I think about FOAM ??!!

You can go to the Fabric shop and get foam chunks, put them between the side rails or ON the side rails and run straps inside the door.

For under $20 you can get this at WallyWorld.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-Kayak-Car-Top-Carrier-Gray/22100244?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227016606872&wl0=&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=41080797512&wl4=pla-78913212752&wl5=9001859&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=22100244&wl13=&veh=sem

I will be back to using this car like my pickup in no time.

BTW, the hatch holds a Crap load of stuff ! Back seat down, I got a Whole 5x7 Rubbermaid shed into the back (un-assembled of course). A 6x6 Keter shed on another day.
yeah i got some scratches on the inside of the far back, who cares, so long as I can still get great stuff off Craigs List free section ;)

Making L Brackets with 2x4 is a great idea too !

·
Registered
119 Posts
A 6 x 1.0 (metric) seems to fit OK, but maybe a little sloppy. I didn't have a selection of English threads handy to check for a possible fit. Since much of the Bolt is Korean sourced, it's pretty likely that the threads are metric.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts