Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
101 - 104 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Don't forget natural gas. It burns VERY, VERY cleanly. It's not perfect, but it's a heck of a bridge fuel for generating electricity. But, you're right about nuclear. All this talk about solar when the sun, itself, is one giant reactor.
No question that natural gas burns cleanly. I still have natural gas for heat, hot water and fireplaces - but not cooking. I have solar for the electric and produce 2 MWh more than I use annually. I realize that coal and gas produce the electricity I use at night, so not sure that converting to all electric heat/hot water would actually be more environmental - EXCEPT that leaking methane from oil and gas drilling and transport is a huge component of the greenhouse gas problem, especially as methane is a MUCH more potent (though shorter-lived) greenhouse gas than CO2.

Here in the metro Denver area, our biggest air pollution problem is from ground level ozone. The studies I've seen attribute most of that (80-85%) to burning of gasoline and diesel in automobiles. We have a big oil refinery just north of the city that contributes most of the rest. (That refinery has been operating without a permit for years, due to lax enforcement by the state.) I live in the foothills about 25 miles from the city center and there are plenty of days when I can't see downtown due to the smog. Sometimes, I can't see the Lockheed-Martin plant a mile away. I bought my Bolt after experiencing another one of those days.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I don't know what you mean by "adjusted" temperatures. Heat index?
Historical temperature data is usually "adjusted". Assumptions are made about the accuracy and errors of past data so formulas are applied to adjust for the assumed error. Older temperature data is always adjusted down, showing lower temperatures and fewer days of high temperature.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Historical temperature data is usually "adjusted". Assumptions are made about the accuracy and errors of past data so formulas are applied to adjust for the assumed error. Older temperature data is always adjusted down, showing lower temperatures and fewer days of high temperature.
You're NOT saying that a certain motivated segment of our climate "scientists" would intentionally alter historical data for some reason, are you? "Say it ain't so!"

101 - 104 of 104 Posts