Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

CCS coming soon.

Looks like a great product.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Just watched the first couple min, I hate that they are talking about "range added per min" and how much "range" each battery provides rather than KW for transfer speed, and kWh for capacity. I don't have time now to watch the whole video, do they get more technical later on in the vid?

Keith

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just watched the first couple min, I hate that they are talking about "range added per min" and how much "range" each battery provides rather than KW for transfer speed, and kWh for capacity. I don't have time now to watch the whole video, do they get more technical later on in the vid?

Keith
Later in the video they mention 10KW charge speed. Look at the 19 min mark.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
374 Posts

Keith
Each battery module is 3.5kWh, can stack up to 5 (17.5 kWh), and output is 20kW.

Not likely to make sense to carry one in your car, more of a rescue option for roadside service.

Edit: Ok, so early on they mention 20 kW, then 12kW, and the Tesla was charging at 6 kW. So, not super fast by any means. They also mention bringing it along in your EV, but that much bulk would seem to defeat some of the benefit, not to mention it would likely be pretty costly to buy these things.

·
Registered
638 Posts
The ideal solution would be vehicle to vehicle charging. Imagine an app that could send out a GPS SOS beacon to all EVs within a certain radius of your stranded vehicle. Someone close by who would be willing to help (especially traveling the same road, in the same direction) could reply, lock on to your beacon and arrive in a matter of minutes to supply enough energy to get you to the next charger. The app could also allow payment through Paypal, etc.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
It won't be too long before we see tow trucks with built-in, V2V charging capabilities.

It is mobile devices like this, though, that make me wonder why businesses can't just install low-cost DC-DC chargers run off of batteries linked to their local power supply. Even a 250 kWh battery bank with a basic 240 V @ 40 A power hook up would be able to charge 10 to 12 EVs per day.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
So one module has 3.2 kWh usable...the same size and capacity as the 7 Leaf modules on my cargo bike. Five modules gives you 16 kWh usable.

The kid was seeing ~6 kW on one module. so that one module is pushing ~2 C. Company guy said 12 kW max, and 25 amps. Their spec sheet says a module can push 20 kW, or 5.7 C. and 40 amps.

40 amps x 500 volts is 20 kW, but you would never see that on a 400 volt max car like the Tesla or Bolt. 400 V x 40 A = 16 kW

I would guess the module is 14s to 20s, or 57.4 volts to 82 volts...just like current electric yard tools. The top unit is a DC-DC converter to pump that up to 400 volts. If we assume a generous 90% efficiency battery-to-battery, we are looking at 2.9 kWh to 14.5 kWh delivered to your stranded car.

·
Registered
374 Posts
VW mobile charging solution (360kWh) fed by a standard 30A power source. Max output is 100kW DC, and up to 4 simultaneous charge sessions.

Now that would get you home!

I expect to see a lot more of these kinds of DC charging\storage solutions. It can be fixed, or moved to an event location, and located in places without needing high voltage grid sources (rest stops maybe). It can use solar, wind, or grid to replenish the batteries, and thus avoid the costly demand charges the high voltage DCFC sites wrestle with.

There are a few of these kinds of solutions out there. I expect to see a lot more with used EV batteries getting a second life!

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
There are a few of these kinds of solutions out there. I expect to see a lot more with used EV batteries getting a second life!
This was all new and exciting....four years ago.

The problem is mobile emergency charging will get even less use than normal DC fast chargers, which don't pay their way now. No money making model here.

·
Registered
374 Posts

The problem is mobile emergency charging will get even less use than normal DC fast chargers, which don't pay their way now. No money making model here.
The VW solution was just two years ago, at least according to the article. They recently got together with a German company to roll out fixed units along these lines in Germany.

And yes, AAA has been offering mobile charging for a while as well. And there will no doubt be more. But, in 40+ years of driving, I only ran out of fuel once, at age 16. The demand for mobile rescue charging is not a business in itself, at least not for the rolling trucks part of it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Looks like lease only right now. $187/ month for 18 months top charging unit and same for each additional battery module. Much quicker charge time than a 7kw generator with an EVSE built in.

The big question is how many people will run out of juice and how to make it pay for itself.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I don't see tow trucks or similar having V2V charging taking off and hitting mainstreem. In my opinion, time is money and I think for them it's more lucrative to tow your car to the nearest charging stations and let you charge at, hopefully, a faster rate than the V2V and allow them to get back into the tow queue and get to the next customer. There are dozens of scenario's where it makes sense for AAA to come with V2V rescue power but I see the alternative of taking me to a charger where I can have lunch and shop as everyone does on these long road trips where they DCFC, etc.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
However it is STILL an option for tow truck owners.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I don't see tow trucks or similar having V2V charging taking off and hitting mainstreem. In my opinion, time is money and I think for them it's more lucrative to tow your car to the nearest charging stations and let you charge at, hopefully, a faster rate than the V2V and allow them to get back into the tow queue and get to the next customer. There are dozens of scenario's where it makes sense for AAA to come with V2V rescue power but I see the alternative of taking me to a charger where I can have lunch and shop as everyone does on these long road trips where they DCFC, etc.
Given how much they charge to drop off a 1 gallon gas can, I'm sure they'd find a way to make it lucrative. Of course, this would primarily be an option for EV tow trucks, where a 5-minute stop might net them a $50 fee for the equivalent of a $1 worth of electricity. They then still have the time to haul off the junker ICE that broke down a few miles up the road.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Given how much they charge to drop off a 1 gallon gas can, I'm sure they'd find a way to make it lucrative. Of course, this would primarily be an option for EV tow trucks, where a 5-minute stop might net them a $50 fee for the equivalent of a $1 worth of electricity. They then still have the time to haul off the junker ICE that broke down a few miles up the road.
I am waiting to see what all vehicles are built on the Bollinger "cab on skateboard" setup. Most people don't know that Bollinger is planning to sell a version with just a cab (open or closed rear wall cab) on the powertrain skateboard... it will be perfect for everything from EV tow trucks on the closed cab version to EV motorhomes on the open cab version.... if you can afford the skateboard and the custom body that is...

Keith

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I am waiting to see what all vehicles are built on the Bollinger "cab on skateboard" setup. Most people don't know that Bollinger is planning to sell a version with just a cab (open or closed rear wall cab) on the powertrain skateboard... it will be perfect for everything from EV tow trucks on the closed cab version to EV motorhomes on the open cab version.... if you can afford the skateboard and the custom body that is...

Keith
Yeah, Bollinger really needs to get their prices down. They won't be able to until they increase volume, though, so they are facing a real chicken-egg problem. Also, their prices just aren't compelling given the capabilities of their batteries. They are basically providing two Bolt EV batteries (high energy density with a max 1 C charging rate) for the cost of four Bolt EV batteries from GM. If they licensed Ultium battery tech from GM (they'd be much lower volume than what Honda is likely going to buy), I think it would go a long way. People might have a hard time justifying $125,000 for a 200-mile EV truck that takes close to an hour to charge to 80%, but they might be a whole lot more interested in a 200-mile EV truck that can charge from 10% to 90% in under 15 minutes.

·
Registered
131 Posts

I believe AAA gave up on this and decided towing to the nearest charger was the better solution. Unfortunately, with COVID, AAA will tow your car but leave you behind because you can't ride in your car and you can't ride in the tow truck.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I believe AAA gave up on this and decided towing to the nearest charger was the better solution. Unfortunately, with COVID, AAA will tow your car but leave you behind because you can't ride in your car and you can't ride in the tow truck.
Which is part of why we have basically been staying home for five months.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier w/ driver confidence 2 and infotainment packages in Silver Mist
124 Posts
I know it’s sacrilege to mention this (while holding up a cross and wearing garlic necklaces) but I have a 2.4kw portable gas powered inverter generator that takes very little room. Sure, it is like the exact same speed as the level 1 plugged into it, but it will run for 10 hours on a tank and can hardly be heard. I could just put down the rear seats and sleep in the back until I got about 25-30 miles.

I already tried it. Inquiring minds need to know.

BTW, the generator cost $420,

1 - 20 of 30 Posts