Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Will GM Give 2017-2019 Bolts The 2020 DCFC Updates?

It looks like te key to get it for free is to complain about the DCFC rates and they should do it under warranty.
Otherwise the dealer may want to charge you if you just ask for the update.

Seems like a good opportunity to use the OTA feature, but, to my knowledge, it has NEVER been used on the 2017-2019 Bolts.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Thanks for this info. I will look into this this morning as the WVEAA has a "Coffee and EVs" event which our local Chevy dealership will attend. I will ask Leo, the dealership EV expert about this. If my 2017 Bolt EV is able to get the update, I will report its effect on DCFC.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My question is what are the negative effects? Will it shorten the packs lifespan? Questions like that.

Remember theres no such thing as a free lunch. There are always side effects.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nice. I can't wait for the update to come. There is no free lunch. But it could have been paid for by works into more advanced load balancing. Or even there could have been just over cautiousness to turn down a cheap lunch, meaning the benefits outweigh the price. Will see.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
My question is what are the negative effects? Will it shorten the packs lifespan? Questions like that.

Remember theres no such thing as a free lunch. There are always side effects.
Pick your poison. Do you want to wait or do you want your battery to last longer?

This isn’t a personal hack. This is a company sanctioned software update for performance improvement.

I trust GM would not release an update that increase warranty returns.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Pick your poison. Do you want to wait or do you want your battery to last longer?

This isn’t a personal hack. This is a company sanctioned software update for performance improvement.

I trust GM would not release an update that increase warranty returns.
If only I had your trust....however 60 yrs of life has taught me to question everything and trust no one. I would think that they would find a balance....but will hold hope.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I understand any trepidation, but battery use is a non-stop compromise of many factors that affect and do not affect its longevity.

Driving your car ruins it. Using your battery ruins it. Charging your battery ruins it. Not using it ruins it. You can’t win. Winning is getting the most use out of it.

Enjoy it.

I’m not hesitating to get this update because I probably will fast charge once per year, so any affect is a small percentage of a small percentage. Nice to have.

However, I haven’t seen any plots on the improvements for 2017-2019, yet. They are probably minimal, but 5 minutes less charging may make a difference on a long trip. One might save enough time to take a nap.

·
Registered
896 Posts
The big thing I notice in that bulletin is that they will improve charging speed in low temperature conditions on the earlier Bolt's... it is obviously not a chemistry change that allows the faster cold climate charging... just being less conservative in their programming.

Since they are updating the system, will it improve anything else? I am wondering about being able to select max charge instead of having hill top reserve, or the usage screen that is useless in the earlier cars compared to the new ones.

Keith

PS: If we do the update will we loose the pid for battery capacity?

·
Registered
416 Posts
If only I had your trust....however 60 yrs of life has taught me to question everything and trust no one. I would think that they would find a balance....but will hold hope.
And my 68 years has taught me to trust folks until they prove they can't be trusted.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Must be nice to live under that rock of yours. Wake up.
Who hurt you so bad that you don't trust anyone?

I am truly sorry that life had treated you so bad.

Keith

PS: none of the above applies if you are a spoiled brat that thinks the world owes you something, and because the world hasn't paid up you think everyone is out to get you...

·
Registered
896 Posts
You mean like...

Pretty sure he just proved he is a dufus sometimes that screws up when speaking in public... think how bad you would look if everything you said was recorded and scrutinized. I feel the same about gaffs by Sanders, Trump, and Biden (or any politician) when they are speaking in public off script. But the ridicule they get is all part of the package of being a public figure. The job comes with some amazing perks, but the downside is having everything you do or say open to ridicule.

Keith

·
Registered
369 Posts
In the last 10 years, I learned there are a lot of amateur scientists who don’t know their @ss from a hole in The ground.

The internet was supposed to make us smarter, but instead of spreading knowledge, it’s spreads stupidity. Anti-vaxxers, flat-earthers, and snake-oil salesmen like raw water and energy rocks.

So it’s ok to be skeptical and keep your guard up. Don’t be stupid. If it sounds like a miracle, it’s probably a scam.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts