Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I got the update today while my car was in for the rear axle knocking issue (fixed with a replacement). Biggest difference is that the regen system now seems active once the battery get below 100%. This is cool since I’ve always wondered why it makes sense not to regen until you’re at 80-something percent.

The charging info screens also look slightly updated although I can’t put my finger on exactly what’s new.
I haven’t tried DCFC or L2 charging yet as the dealer topped me to 100%.
Process was super easy. I told them about the bulletin number, mentioned “I’ve heard it offers some fast charging improvements,” and they added it to the work order.
In the spirit of the other thread, there’s likely a conspiracy somehow related to the update, likely from the Russian Illuminati (they’re 3.9X more nefarious than the standard Illuminati, just ask James Comey).
In my 2017 when I charge to 100% I have reduced regen until I have driven 10 to 15 miles depending on energy use. Over that 10 to 15 miles the available regen grows until it reaches normal. That point is at about 95% SOC.

Keith

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I'm a computer programmer. The glass is sized to support future expansion and will not go obsolete for a long time.
I’m a retired COBOL programmer.

The glass legacy design is four decades old, but it still works, and it’s too expensive to migrate to a new platform, so just keep using it as-is.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thanks for the report. It sounds like we all may have been a bit too optimistic about the bulletin. It does speak about robustness rather than speed above 32 degrees.
I think we need more reports. It's very possible that the update just didn't take in the one report we have so far.

Mike

·
Registered
220 Posts
Does anyone know how much a dealer would charge for this upgrade? Seems like it might be worth it to me.
My dealer wants $185. The time listed on their sheet is 0.1 hours. Compare that to the cost of the software license and it's a steal. But it may be a warranty item, as the repairs are to hybrid powertrain modules. They'll probably double-dip, charging me AND GM for the work, because.... they're a car dealership. Also, though, it seems like they had trouble finding the actual service bulletin, and when I called India, they said that any power train item should always be covered. So I don't know. But $185 to shave accumulated HOURS off my fast charging time seems worth it to me.

Meh, whatever. My car is at the service department getting this update at this very moment, so we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
My dealer wants $185. The time listed on their sheet is 0.1 hours. Compare that to the cost of the software license and it's a steal. But it may be a warranty item, as the repairs are to hybrid powertrain modules. They'll probably double-dip, charging me AND GM for the work, because.... they're a car dealership. Also, though, it seems like they had trouble finding the actual service bulletin, and when I called India, they said that any power train item should always be covered. So I don't know. But $185 to shave accumulated HOURS off my fast charging time seems worth it to me.

Meh, whatever. My car is at the service department getting this update at this very moment, so we'll see what happens.
I would have called Chevy to complain. This is a fix for anyone who comments that their DC charging is slow, especially in cold weather. Even if you end up paying, call Chevy and find out why you were charged for the update outlined in the service bulletin.

This wouldn’t be the first time a dealership has charged for a service that should have been provided free of charge.

·
Registered
220 Posts
DO NOT DO THE UPDATE FOR THE 2017

It doesn't seem to work, or at least it's NOT WORKING now. If we were following the 2020 curves, we'd see 30 kw here. The temp was low 60s and the car had just been driven 10 miles.

Admittedly, this was a short test, and we would be wise to check at 52% and 66% SOC to see what the values end up being, but I think I just ended up getting screwed out of $185. Wait to do any update, we don't know if it actually does anything. I DO know they tried, or at least futzed around, as they turned off hilltop reserve and a few other things. They definitely used my car to go get lunch (not even kidding it smelled like Zankou Chicken) But whether it got applied or not is a mystery that I don't have the tools to solve. Any way to check?

Oh well, don't let my mistake be yours.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Gray doesn’t mean zero regen, just reduced regen.
the line above it shows how much regen is active. when the line gets to the bottom, regen turns green, meaning you are back to 100% regen.
That’s all it means when gray.
Right, I was getting confused with my old i3 that was either regen or no regen, the latter “faked” to maintain one pedal driving via the brakes when fully charged. In any event, I used to have limited regen for 10-15 miles on a full charge. After the update, it was like 1 mile and the regen indicator went green. I’m also getting significantly more range but that could be the sudden change in weather.
This is on a 2019 and was just applied yesterday so a limited sample set.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Possible we misinterpreted the service bulletin to mean it would alter all charging features to match the 2020, whereas it merely states it will charge faster in cold climates only? With no actual mention about the charging tapers being altered on 2017-2019. We just sort of made that assumption collectively.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Right, I was getting confused with my old i3 that was either regen or no regen, the latter “faked” to maintain one pedal driving via the brakes when fully charged. In any event, I used to have limited regen for 10-15 miles on a full charge. After the update, it was like 1 mile and the regen indicator went green. I’m also getting significantly more range but that could be the sudden change in weather.
This is on a 2019 and was just applied yesterday so a limited sample set.
Please try DCFC to see whether there is any difference in tapering. I have a 2019 LT too. I probably will still do the update regardless if it is free. Thanks in advance.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I will do the update soon, and if the dealership tries to charge me for it I will be putting in a call to Chevy asking why the dealership is trying to screw me and what dealership in my area do they recommend for honest service.

I limit my winter road tripping mostly due to shorter range, not the cold weather slow charging... the first charge in "cold" weather (at or below freezing for me) is a pain in the butt, but that charge heats the battery, it seems to be enough that subsequent charges are at normal speeds. In Canada winters after a DCFC charge does the battery cool down before you get to the next DCFC station?

Keith

·
Registered
689 Posts
@Pigwich - you were charging at 75% (well in the taper) and 60F (most certainly not cold weather). I personally expected the update to make the most difference below 50% and 32F. This is where I would look for improvement.

I do venture out into the world even when it is cold. I love winter sports, and took my Bolt to Canada for Winterlude as well as the Catskills and Green Mountains for skiing. I was often only getting 20-25kW from a DCFC even at 20% SoC due to temperatures well below freezing (often single-digit F).

Unfortunately, the weather has turned and it is getting too warm here to notice a difference if I did get the update. Today it is a balmy 40F, and it will be getting even warmer as we approach spring.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy bolt ev premier
13 Posts
Thanks. So you see the gradual tapering?

-TL

Currently using the home ChargePoint station (240v/40 amp). Omaha weathers now at 39 F and need guidance to help share data ( new to this).

·
Registered
197 Posts
The L2 charging won't show the difference. You will need to put the car on DCFC with soc below 50%. The tapering will happen at soc 55% and soc 80%. It has been rather abrupt (within say 30 seconds). You can see that on the charger's display. If the update works as expected, the tapering should be much gradual, within 5 to 10 mins?

Logging data is of course better. But it requires some equipment, (OBDII) and torque pro, and some doing, processing the data files. But it is not necessary. Visual observations suffice. Thanks in advance.

-TL

·
Registered
221 Posts
Currently using the home ChargePoint station (240v/40 amp). Omaha weathers now at 39 F and need guidance to help share data ( new to this).
To keep it simple,
In decent temp's, if you can get below 40% battery capacity, then go to a DCFC station and charge.
Watch the Green KWH bar to see the charge speed as it crosses several spots to see if after 50%-55% charge it gradually reduces the kwh or if it quickly drops.
then again at 65%-70% battery

in the 2017-2019 models, it will drop immediately when it hits certain threshholds arond 55% and 67%
in the new 2020's, it gradually reduces (see charts above for a visual example --> stairstep for 2019's, straight line for 2020).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Regarding "OTA" (Over the Air") software updates, I did have one for my radio on my 2017 Bolt. That's the only one I am aware of.
Dave

Will GM Give 2017-2019 Bolts The 2020 DCFC Updates?

View attachment 28797

It looks like te key to get it for free is to complain about the DCFC rates and they should do it under warranty.
Otherwise the dealer may want to charge you if you just ask for the update.

Seems like a good opportunity to use the OTA feature, but, to my knowledge, it has NEVER been used on the 2017-2019 Bolts.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sean Graham over on the FB Bolt forum got the upgrade and checked it on a DCFC. Charging speeds on cold batteries ramp up faster (like the 2020) but overall, the stair-step effect is still there for upgraded 2017 Bolts. This update is only to address cold weather charging and the delay (ramp up) to faster kWh while the battery warms. Nothing to do with the overall charge curve.

Sorry.

DO NOT DO THE UPDATE FOR THE 2017

View attachment 28869
View attachment 28870

It doesn't seem to work, or at least it's NOT WORKING now. If we were following the 2020 curves, we'd see 30 kw here. The temp was low 60s and the car had just been driven 10 miles.

Admittedly, this was a short test, and we would be wise to check at 52% and 66% SOC to see what the values end up being, but I think I just ended up getting screwed out of $185. Wait to do any update, we don't know if it actually does anything. I DO know they tried, or at least futzed around, as they turned off hilltop reserve and a few other things. They definitely used my car to go get lunch (not even kidding it smelled like Zankou Chicken) But whether it got applied or not is a mystery that I don't have the tools to solve. Any way to check?

Oh well, don't let my mistake be yours.

·
Registered
404 Posts
It is still a 1-C charge. They are just smoothing the bumps. The area under the curve is the time you are saving. It is not like turbo-charging. The way I figure it, leaves just the right amount of extra time to call customer service at EA to find out if they can reboot the station so you can charge at all.
???????

61 - 80 of 108 Posts