Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
The technical bulletin for this item 20-NA-053 states " using SPS verify if the vehicle has the latest calibration in the K114B Hybrid / EV Powertrain control module 2." The bulletin continues - (paraphrasing): If not up to date - update. If up to date give the car back to the customer.
So my interpretation is the charge curve will not change. This could be an improvement but likely not much of one.

·
Registered
689 Posts
What updates? When has anyone gotten an OTA update??
I got an OTA update about two years ago. I had to accept it via the infotainment system. The only noticeable difference was that they took away the ability to play videos through the screen.

Edit: I take that back. It removed the ability to play any .mp4s at all. Which sucked because some of my music was on a thumb drive in .mp4 format.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Please keep in mind that a significant change in the 2020 Bolt was the Battery chemistry, charge calibration updates can only affect the ramp-up and taper, or as others have said, the area under the curve. The inherent hardware design limits the max charge rate. Significantly limiting the charge rate during extreme cold protects the battery. This bulletin reminds me of a change that GM made during Volt production that provided increased range, (2014 to 2015 IIRC) as they made more of the pack available as usable capacity by altering the BMS calibration. This was done based on the warranty rate in the field and the onstar data they collected

·
Registered
207 Posts
What updates? When has anyone gotten an OTA update??
What does it have to do with OTA?

If there's going to be another software update in the next year or so, presumably this would be folded in with that, so we could wait for that rather than going in more than once, and maybe a future update will be safety-related (i.e. free).

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am supposed to get a service appointment sometime ni the near future to replace my radio unit, ostensibly to "fix" all my CarPlay issues. I would ask that this update be done at the same time, but I rarely DCFC, so I have no data of my own upon which to say that I "need" this. What, specifically, should I script to say to the service rep to have this done, and done without cost to me?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I made my appointment for the update. It’s almost a month away because the certified e-techs are all in isolation due to this darn covid 19 outbreak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It most likely would pre-warm the battery more, to the point where charging would be less likely to cause damage to the cells; ie. above 30-35°F

The big thing I notice in that bulletin is that they will improve charging speed in low temperature conditions on the earlier Bolt's... it is obviously not a chemistry change that allows the faster cold climate charging... just being less conservative in their programming.

Since they are updating the system, will it improve anything else? I am wondering about being able to select max charge instead of having hill top reserve, or the usage screen that is useless in the earlier cars compared to the new ones.

Keith

PS: If we do the update will we loose the pid for battery capacity?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Whenever I take my cars in, I ask them to scan it and just update what is needed. I'm not overly excited about this update because even if it makes a 2017-2019 charge like a 2020, it only makes a difference of a few minutes (like you can count them on one hand) for most DCFC sessions. When News Coulomb posted a DCFC session on a 2020, I did the math and it actually took the 2020 the same amount of time to charge to 85% as a 2019: based on these two videos:

Now, granted the 2020 has a 66kWh battery versus 60, so the 2020 is actually charging at a bit higher rate, but it's not like we're getting 75 kWh or something with the update. :)

Mike

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I would have gotten the update when I take the car for its annual inspection next month. But the state has put those off for at least 60 days due to the pandemic. That is perfectly fine with me, since we are hunkered down at home, and will have no use for DC fast charging this summer at least.

·
Registered
393 Posts
To keep it simple,
In decent temp's, if you can get below 40% battery capacity, then go to a DCFC station and charge.
Watch the Green KWH bar to see the charge speed as it crosses several spots to see if after 50%-55% charge it gradually reduces the kwh or if it quickly drops.
then again at 65%-70% battery

in the 2017-2019 models, it will drop immediately when it hits certain threshholds arond 55% and 67%
in the new 2020's, it gradually reduces (see charts above for a visual example --> stairstep for 2019's, straight line for 2020).
Huh? Charging rate is measured in kW, not "KWH".

Energy is measured in kWh.

The car uses the right units. The charging rate on the right side of the "gauge cluster" is correctly in kW.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Korean Bolt EVs will get this update as the customers have been notified of it recently.

Since there's already a TPMS software update as an official recall, the two updates will be applied concurrently.

·
Registered
549 Posts
This is awesome! I'll probably get the adapter. One thing that would help is a video showing you using this particular adapter on the Bolt with an example like the DCFC update. That way we'd have a solid example showing all the steps for our cars. Don't know if you can do that but if so, that'd be the icing on the cake.

Mike

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just phoned one of my local Chevy dealers. I was told that they would do the update free of charge....but only until the end of the month. After that it would require a cost for the technician's time. I was kinda cheesed as I did not receive any notice from GM about this. So if you're desire is to do this "on the house" set up your appointment today.

Dayle

·
Registered
466 Posts
I just phoned one of my local Chevy dealers. I was told that they would do the update free of charge....but only until the end of the month. After that it would require a cost for the technician's time. I was kinda cheesed as I did not receive any notice from GM about this. So if you're desire is to do this "on the house" set up your appointment today.

Dayle
I think the dealer is in error. But if you can get it done now, at least you don't have to argue the point with him

·
Registered
16 Posts
Will GM Give 2017-2019 Bolts The 2020 DCFC Updates?

View attachment 28797

It looks like te key to get it for free is to complain about the DCFC rates and they should do it under warranty.
Otherwise the dealer may want to charge you if you just ask for the update.

Seems like a good opportunity to use the OTA feature, but, to my knowledge, it has NEVER been used on the 2017-2019 Bolts.
Will GM Give 2017-2019 Bolts The 2020 DCFC Updates?

View attachment 28797

It looks like te key to get it for free is to complain about the DCFC rates and they should do it under warranty.
Otherwise the dealer may want to charge you if you just ask for the update.

Seems like a good opportunity to use the OTA feature, but, to my knowledge, it has NEVER been used on the 2017-2019 Bolts.
I went into my Chevy dealership today to obtain an update on my 2017 Bolt but they stated the update was not covered until the warranty and did not have a procedure code. He even showed me in the system.

The labor is $169.

Does anyone who has had this service completed what are the advantages and disadvantages to the upgrade

Thank you

81 - 100 of 108 Posts