Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
I went into my Chevy dealership today to obtain an update on my 2017 Bolt but they stated the update was not covered until the warranty and did not have a procedure code. He even showed me in the system.

The labor is $169.

Does anyone who has had this service completed what are the advantages and disadvantages to the upgrade

Thank you
I've covered what I observed in this thread:

·
Registered
16 Posts
@wesley I read your original post and it seems the update did not change anything.

I am kinda on the fence now on whether to pay the $160 for the software update if it does not really regulate heating and consumption and increase mileage.

Thank You

·
Registered
51 Posts
I went into my Chevy dealership today to obtain an update on my 2017 Bolt but they stated the update was not covered until the warranty and did not have a procedure code. He even showed me in the system.

The labor is $169.

Does anyone who has had this service completed what are the advantages and disadvantages to the upgrade

Thank you
I went to my dealer and they refused to install it saying, "it's not cold now, are you having problems charging?" then they said: "you don't need it..."

·
Registered
443 Posts
I went to my dealer and they refused to install it saying, "it's not cold now, are you having problems charging?" then they said: "you don't need it..."
Go do a different dealer - better yet, call a different dealer and get them to agree to do it under warranty, then go to that dealer.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Say "yes, I have problems charging in cold weather, but I was in lock down due to covid-19 when it was cold outside... now that I am not locked down do your job!"

Keith

·
Registered
195 Posts
Cold or warm, the upgrade is worth negotiating with a dealer to have done.

As little as three weeks ago, the northern part of Maine was at 20F (-7C) with snow blowing. Charging with the old BOLT software in Jackman, Maine meant watching the charge rate drag itself slowly up from 17kW to maybe 37kW, all while strapped into a whiteout because of COVID measures.

The benefit of living in Maine is not to have to explain anything about cold weather to your dealer (Quirk, Portland). The moment I said "problems with cold weather charging in Jackman", I had a free upgrade scheduled.

Although we did not have another -7C day, at 40-50F (5-10C), I can see a marked difference. Charge Point 50kW stations immediately peg at 44kW. EA stations ramp up almost instantly to 55+kW and hold that charge rate through the first step-down. (Yesterday I charged 16kWh in 20 minutes at a mid-Massachusetts EA stop . That's over 60 miles at my usual driving style.)

As others have said, it's probably best to begin with the service complaint of slow charging rather than just asking for the upgrade.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I had my update done on April 14th. For some reason my Bolt was incredibly stubborn about it and would not accept it. They FINALLY got it to accept it but it had to stay overnight with the battery turned off. Then it accepted it.

Strange.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also attempted to get the update performed, as I had to reschedule the appointment. The dealer refused, saying that "Voltec" software updates are only covered under a 3yr/36,000mi warranty. I called two other dealers in the area and received the same info. No recall, no update (without cost). I would love to do it myself, but I would need to watch someone do it first.

EDIT: Just called GM Customer Assistance and they are parroting the same information. Even went to the point of saying it only applies to certain VINs manufactured in certain plants.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts