Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Tonight is when Tesla will reveal their Model 3 but before then, Chevy wanted to remind the world that their EV will hit the market first when they released a promotional video showing the pre-production Bolts rolling off the assembly line.

Not shown in the video but in the picture is a Chevy Bolt body which is suspended over what could be a powertrain, perhaps to be mated together further down the assembly line.

These pre-production units have been rolling off the assembly line at Chevy’s plant in Orion Township, Michigan since last week. They’re not for sale to the general public so we’ll have to wait for the retail-ready production cars which are expected to hit the market around the end of this year. The due date may seem far away for some but we should think ourselves lucky because traditionally, it takes around 6-12 months for a GM vehicle to go from pre-production to full production. In the amount of time it takes for other GM models to hit the market from pre-production, Chevy managed to push the Bolt EV from concept to production-ready in just 12 months.

Until the retail-ready units start rolling off the line, the assembly plant employees will be working with the Bolt EV engineers to finalize testing of plant tools and processes before the retail models are put together; everything from parts delivery and quality checkpoints needs to be streamlined and perfected.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The predicted final production start date is October 1st, 2016 which is exatly six months from today (April 2nd). As past Volt owners can testify, GM has a Quality Control process that takes over 30 days for each vehicle, then the shipping begins to the dealers. I predict today that the first 2017 Chevy Bolt EV will be delivered before November 30th, and the first reviews will apprear December 1st (eight months from today).

I will also predict that Tesla Motors will take up to two years before delivering the first Model 3, so the first unit may be delivered by December 2017, and that may be as late as April 2018. The second year Bolt EV will be delivered before, and even some used Bolt EVs will apprear.

So don't get your hopes up too much for the 2017 Bolt EV, but you can forget about the TM Model 3 fo two more years.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Last time I heard of the October prediction was from an article posted up last year. I don't think Chevy really revealed a set date, just sometime before the Tesla Model 3 is going to come out.

·
Registered
786 Posts
On what basis are you making this prediction?
On GM's 100+ year track record for delivery on time (Tesla Motors has much to learn from GM!) and even ahead of time. As an example, the first Spark EV was assembled in South Korea on May, 2013, and the first was sold in California on June 19, 2013, when normally new cars begin selling in August of each year.

And if we specialize only in the Volt, the first pre-production Chevy Volt was assembled on March 31, 2010, and the first production Volt was assembled on November 30, 2010. The first pre-production Gen 2 Volt were assembled in March 2015, the first production was in August 2015, and the first were sold in October 2015.

The first pre-production Bolt EV was assembled on March 16, 2016. That leaves only November 16 as the equivalent 8-month production date, but GM will do better. Since the Chevy Bolt EV has a great head start, I predict that the first production Bolt EV will be assembled sooner on October 1st. But even if I fail, we will see it before November 30th, 2016.0:)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Even if it does come out in November, that's still a relatively short time for them to start hitting showroom floors. I'm just hoping that Chevy will release the Bolt EV configuration page soon because I'm getting antsy from anticipation.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Even if it does come out in November, that's still a relatively short time for them to start hitting showroom floors. I'm just hoping that Chevy will release the Bolt EV configuration page soon because I'm getting antsy from anticipation.
What you can do while waiting is check out the Volt's configurator to get a sense of what's to come in the Bolt, since surely there will be some crossover in features and overall what's included.

Hopefully they release the configurator in stages since that will give us things to mess with along the way since they can't drop everything right away.

Volt Page: http://www.chevrolet.com/2016-volt-electric-car.html

BOLT Page... it's a functioning URL ;) ---> http://www.chevrolet.com/2016-bolt-electric-car.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Bolt is going to turn the auto market upside down. Why would anyone want to stick with only gas cars in their home "fleet" when the go-to vehicle just plugs in and costs a fraction to operate? Sensible folks will flock to high range electric cars. Gauranteed.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'm hoping Chevy adds similar standard features to the Bolt like the Volt. Not may cars these days come with standard heated sets and side mirrors. Everything else is negligible to me.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm hoping Chevy adds similar standard features to the Bolt like the Volt. Not may cars these days come with standard heated sets and side mirrors. Everything else is negligible to me.
Almost all EV's come with heated seats (standard) as it is much more efficient than heating the entire cabin.
Even the relatively spartan Spark EV comes with them in the base trim.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts