Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

481 - 489 of 489 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey all,
I bought an ELM 327 v2.1 super cheap off of ebay but it doesn't seem to want to show things live (lets not discuss how foolish that might have been ;) ) . I'm fine to buy one of the recommended ones, but before I do, can someone confirm that this 327 2.1 is probably just not compatible and that I'm not doing something stupid? Also, is there any significant difference between the recommended ones on the google sheet, or possibly any new ones not listed there that are better? Since I'm (probably) going back to not cheap out on it [as much], I might as well get a good one, but if the only difference between the $10 one and the $63 one on the sheet is the samples per second which I don't think I care about, might as well get the cheaper one as long as it's reliable.

Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey all,
I bought an ELM 327 v2.1 super cheap off of ebay but it doesn't seem to want to show things live (lets not discuss how foolish that might have been ;) ) . I'm fine to buy one of the recommended ones, but before I do, can someone confirm that this 327 2.1 is probably just not compatible and that I'm not doing something stupid? Also, is there any significant difference between the recommended ones on the google sheet, or possibly any new ones not listed there that are better? Since I'm (probably) going back to not cheap out on it [as much], I might as well get a good one, but if the only difference between the $10 one and the $63 one on the sheet is the samples per second which I don't think I care about, might as well get the cheaper one as long as it's reliable.

Thanks!
I had a cheap ELM327 from ebay and it was defective and now is in a landfill. Just buy the cheap one on the list that is compatible and it will do the job.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Welp, I got the "Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth v3 (35+ samples/second, Android Only)" -- not even the cheapest one -- which is on the spreadsheet and Torque pro connects to it but it can't connect to the car's ECU. That's pretty frustrating :( Torque pro lists that it is seeing "faults" but I can't find anywhere to read what these faults are, nor get any kind of log output of what it's doing to try to connect, and that's doubly frustrating. I've rebooted the phone multiple times, uninstalled the app, and reinstalled it multiple times, tried all sorts of different settings, etc. Still nothing. Ugh.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Welp, I got the "Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth v3 (35+ samples/second, Android Only)" -- not even the cheapest one -- which is on the spreadsheet and Torque pro connects to it but it can't connect to the car's ECU. That's pretty frustrating :( Torque pro lists that it is seeing "faults" but I can't find anywhere to read what these faults are, nor get any kind of log output of what it's doing to try to connect, and that's doubly frustrating. I've rebooted the phone multiple times, uninstalled the app, and reinstalled it multiple times, tried all sorts of different settings, etc. Still nothing. Ugh.
Maybe you can find somebody nearby that has a working setup and see if it is the module or the software setup? Also maybe try it on another friends car with a OBDII port.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m guessing that I’m doing something wrong. I bought a Kobra ELM327 reader for my ‘17 Bolt. I imported the PID list into EngineLink, but can’t seem to get readings to display after adding to the dashboard.

The scanner seems to be connecting and reading, just can’t get seem to the Bolt-specific PIDs to display.

Tried using TorquePro Lite, manually entering a couple of the PIDs with no luck (but I was able to display some “standard” items such as ambient temperature).

Any thoughts? Is my reader perhaps not compatible?

·
Registered
685 Posts
@Telek thanks much for creating and sharing this list, greatly appreciate all of your work and for giving us all visibility into the inner workings of our Bolt. Looking through the usable PIDS tab of your sheet and comparing to the results from the GM GDS2 scan tool dumped to file posted here I see values for min cell ID and voltage, max cell ID and voltage, and min to max % delta.

The GM GDS2 sheet headings indicate "stored data" but those could also be calculated by the tool and reported as all 96 cell voltages are already available.

If those are indeed stored in the vehicle could they be unknown or previously unidentified PIDs? If not, is there any way to have just those specific values reported in Torque instead of scanning all 96 values to manually identify min, max and avg cell values? The value that appears to be the most helpful to diagnose a bad Bolt pack is the min to max delta % reported, it sure seems that the vehicle should report a DTC when that % delta exceeds a given threshold...

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
@Telek's work is pretty cool, but it's frustrating that most of the info is reverse-engineered and with many gaps and some uncertainties. I really wish we could get the actual canonical data from GM.

·
Registered
23 Posts
To all loggers, how long does it take you to get a full set of 96 cell voltages? Can I assume that you unplug the EVSE, start the car, and turn off the HVAC, and do not precondition?

I have logged about 8 times, and only got one full set of 96, due to limited time. Usually I have about 20 minutes and get about 45 cells, then I have to actually go somewhere! This is using the recommended Vgate adapter. I'll try letting it log for a couple hours soon. I am assuming it is best to be charged to at least hilltop level ~88%, and that actively charging would skew the results.

481 - 489 of 489 Posts