Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

501 - 520 of 559 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Figured it out. I copied the CSV file first with Google Sheets (loaded and then saved a copy), but it changed OBD headers like 7E4 (hexadecimal number) to 7.000E4 (70000 in scientific notation) which was invalid.

For some reason, the included Google Files app does not offer a Copy or Move option to files in Download, so I had to install the Simple Mobile File Manager app (which has no ads and does not ask for any permissions other than file access) to do copy it to .torque/extendedpids .

·
Registered
167 Posts
Figured it out. I copied the CSV file first with Google Sheets (loaded and then saved a copy), but it changed OBD headers like 7E4 (hexadecimal number) to 7.000E4 (70000 in scientific notation) which was invalid.

For some reason, the included Google Files app does not offer a Copy or Move option to files in Download, so I had to install the Simple Mobile File Manager app (which has no ads and does not ask for any permissions other than file access) to do copy it to .torque/extendedpids .
Same thing happens if you open the file with Excel, as I discovered the hard way...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Something worth noting: if your Bluetooth OBD device is one where all of them have the same unchangeable default password, it is best to unplug it when not in use for security reasons. Not everything on the OBD port is inaccessible when the car is off, so someone with a cell phone could walk up to a parked car with a Bluetooth OBD device plugged into it, pair it with Bluetooth, and do some OBD things. Or, a cell phone with a malicious OBD program in it could be paired to the Bluetooth OBD device while the car is parked, then left attached to the car in a hidden place, so that the malicious OBD program can detect when the car is on and then do things through the OBD port.

If your Bluetooth OBD device can have its password changed, it is best to change it to something other than the default.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just adding my experience..
I used to use LeafSpy Pro on my Leaf all the time, but when I got my Bolt, I put away the ODBII adapter and kind of forgot about it. ;-( ;-)
So, I came across it again and decided to try it. It was a cheap ebay OBDII adapter, but it seems to work fine.
I was able to pull information with Torque Pro without apparent issues.

Just tried it last night and worked.
Unplugged it after that. I don't think I will plan on leaving it in and running (as I did with LeafSpy), but will just use it to check in from time to time.
(Quick scan of the cell voltages showed all really close to each other, which was what I decided I wanted to see last night)

desiv

·
Registered
59 Posts
I didn't read the 400+ messages in this thread. After I find a working solution I'll do that.
I have a Veepeak OBDCheck BLE scantool and an iPhone. They connect not by wireless but by BT 4.0
It seems that Torque Pro is many users favorite but it is my understanding that it does not work w/ iOS.
I downloaded free Car Scanner ELM OBD2 but it allows only 2 data points unless I pay for an upgrade.

I'd like to make sure I'm getting something useful for the money I will put out for an app.

I have seen a post mentioning "OBD Fusion" but not with any specific details. This app is also one of the recommended apps by Veepeak. I'd like to know if anyone using this app can tell me if it allows the customized inputs that I expect to find elsewhere in this thread and does it display ad's or not.

I have also seen mention of Engine Link. This app is not mentioned in the recommended list by Veepeak so I presume it is not supported.
I am running EngineLink on iOS with the LELink Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD. No issues. Unfortunately the kWh of the battery pack are not available for the 2019 model.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I have a 2019, and the bat capacity gauge is at -8.6 i read on this thread that 2019s have that pid blocked, is that confirmed?
Thanks,
Freddy
Over the last year and a half, I have personally tried my OBD II adapter and phone in new 2017's, 2018's, and 2019's on dealers lots. it worked as expected in the all but the 2019.

The meaning of -8.6 according to one forum member.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the OBDLink LX that seems to work fine on the Volt and the Bolt, a little more expensive that the ones you can find on ebay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone have the PID or even a suspicion of the PID for the battery coolant pump speed?

For the volt it was:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone have the PID or even a suspicion of the PID for the battery coolant pump speed?
For the volt it was:

*Bat Coolant Pump RPM | 2241B2 | (Signed(A)*256+b) | 0-5000 rpm

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #514
Do you remember about what temperatures your min and max readings were at? Don't forget, you still have ~6 years worth of degradation before you can claim that! ;) The relative capacity number is like the stock market, stop looking at daily or it will drive you insane.
So this is interesting. I would think that the cell balancing would keep it **** near 0 difference. I've been monitoring mine, and it seems to settle in around 0.025V delta. The maintenance manual says that 0.03V is a failure.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #515
So to update - I ran without any OBD2 adapter for 2 weeks and had no incident. Then I plugged in a recommended adapter, the "Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 3.0 OBD2 Code Reader OBDII Scanner Scan Tool Car Fault Check Engine Light for Torque Android Compatible with ELM327 Adapter "
and on the second day of resumed logging during my work commute (Nov12?), again the regen-braking ceased after about 12 miles, but no MIL was lit. After about 20 seconds of no-regen, then I pulled the adapter while driving, and regen immediately returned.

Soooo... nuts. For me at least, the adapter is not just a harmless monitor. So I'll log only on occasion.
I'm sorry to hear that, and ... I'd love to be able to reproduce that! I still can't understand why it would do that, but perhaps the Vgate 3.0 is not a good device then :( I have not heard this from anyone else though!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #516
To all loggers, how long does it take you to get a full set of 96 cell voltages? Can I assume that you unplug the EVSE, start the car, and turn off the HVAC, and do not precondition?

I have logged about 8 times, and only got one full set of 96, due to limited time. Usually I have about 20 minutes and get about 45 cells, then I have to actually go somewhere! This is using the recommended Vgate adapter. I'll try letting it log for a couple hours soon. I am assuming it is best to be charged to at least hilltop level ~88%, and that actively charging would skew the results.
You can only poll the bus at about 15-20 PIDs/second. So to get all 96 will be 5-6 seconds.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #517 (Edited)
Over the last year and a half, I have personally tried my OBD II adapter and phone in new 2017's, 2018's, and 2019's on dealers lots. it worked as expected in the all but the 2019.

The meaning of -8.6 according to one forum member.

No, if you look at the raw data, it's responding back telling you that the PID does not exist.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #518
I think I read someone on here say that a spread of 0.03 V could trigger a recall?

My max difference is around 0.023 V from one low cell group and one high cell group, but I am going to check the spread again after a full charge to 100%.
Yes, according to the maintenance manual, 0.03V out of balance is enough to warrant replacing the pack.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #519

o_O

There, I made it more clear :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #520
For the volt it was:

*Bat Coolant Pump RPM | 2241B2 | (Signed(A)*256+b) | 0-5000 rpm
I think it was wrong back then. That's what I had it as originally, but it clearly was wrong.

501 - 520 of 559 Posts