Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

521 - 540 of 548 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's pretty bizarre! I've had mine in non-stop for 2 years. Never had a regen problem. I'd love to know how to recreate that, lol.
I recently purchased and installed a Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 (BlE) OBD2 Fault Code Reader OBDII Code Scanner Car Check Engine Light iOS iPhone iPad/Android Compatible ELM327 Adapter on my 2017 Bolt EV. I downloaded and installed the PIDs on Pixel 3 and the Torque Pro appeared to be working. This afternoon as we were pulling back from my garage my wife notice a person walking behind us and the Rear Cross Traffic Alert did not alarm. Later we notice that the Lane Keep assist was also not working. We disconnected the Pixel 3 from the car and the problems continued. We did then removed the OBD2 reader and the Lane Keep assist immediately returned to operation.

I've lost confidence on this unit and I'm returning it to Amazon.

Has any one experience any similar problems with other OBD adapters?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes, according to the maintenance manual, 0.03V out of balance is enough to warrant replacing the pack.
Good to know - thx! Is this spec for a fully charged pack at no or minimal load? Load and low SOC both tend to increase the spread.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Yes, according to the maintenance manual, 0.03V out of balance is enough to warrant replacing the pack.

Wow! Does this mean I get a new pack?

3.351V - 3.241V = 0.110V

12-29-18-3.jpg

This is at very low SOC, but even in normal use I often see 0.020V - 0.025V difference since first installing Torque Pro in June of 2018, and have never seen anything like 60 kWh usable.

12-29-18-1.jpg

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wow! Does this mean I get a new pack?

3.351V - 3.241V = 0.110V

View attachment 28066

This is at very low SOC, but even in normal use I often see 0.020V - 0.025V difference since first installing Torque Pro in June of 2018, and have never seen anything like 60 kWh usable.

View attachment 28065
If you had that spread when the pack was reasonably charged -- > 50% maybe -- then there may be a problem. You say very low SOC - < 10%?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Looks like 5.9% according to the first image.

I'm guessing that spec is quoted at full charge.
Yup - I missed the image detail. 6% is low enuf that cell voltage spread can be large. I suspect the right way to assess cell balance is at high SOC [> 80%?] and no load [idle, no heat, etc - just the default 1 kw on the DIC].

·
Registered
30 Posts
First, Thanks to Telek and others for the work they have done.
I just installed torque and the OBD reader . Looks to be working fine. with my 2018 bolt I get 58kWh for the battery. This corresponds well with a complete drain and recharge I did on the battery about 4 months ago. (I drained the last 3 kwh in the driveway running the heater.)
I have noticed some talk in this thread about battery heating during charging and whether or not there is any trick to cause the car preheat the battery while driving, just before arriving
at a fast charger. I haven't read all the posts I'm afraid. But I got the idea that if there is such a trick , no one has found it yet?
Without doing the calculations, I'm guessing preheating the battery might shave 15 minutes off my charging time under some conditions.
Worth doing some work for.
I think I read in one thread that if you want to pull 150amps, (e.g. from an EA charger) that the battery temperature should be 75F or something near.
I didn't find the source for that; anyone know if that a rumor or a fact?
I guess next I am in driving in the snow , I will just try all the heater settings I can imagine and see if any of them cause the battery heater to kick in too.

·
Registered
160 Posts
PID question - There are a few PIDs listed for "Air Temp" and "vent temp". Are any of these confirmed to be the cabin air temperature as currently sensed?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Has anyone created custom PIDs to show max and min cell voltages? I see Torque Pro provides MIN and MAX functions but running all 96 voltages through would make for a pretty big equation (assuming one can use multiple functions in a single equation). I suppose you could also make many smaller comparison equations and then compare those in turn...but again, I don't know the intricacies of what Torque Pro allows. I thought I saw a post once where someone claimed to have implemented two such custom PIDs.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Has anyone created custom PIDs to show max and min cell voltages? I see Torque Pro provides MIN and MAX functions but running all 96 voltages through would make for a pretty big equation (assuming one can use multiple functions in a single equation). I suppose you could also make many smaller comparison equations and then compare those in turn...but again, I don't know the intricacies of what Torque Pro allows. I thought I saw a post once where someone claimed to have implemented two such custom PIDs.
I have the max and min voltage cells on my Torque Pro dash. This was possible because I checked all 96 cells at various states of charge, over many days, and determined that they are always the same two cells. No algorithms needed. It is conceivable that at some point a cell may develop a problem which causes it to show lower voltage. I check about once a month to make sure they are still the highest and lowest.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I wrote a program to automatically chart Torque Pro csv files. It does some things I couldn't get from Excel or Sheets (with my knowledge anyway). For instance, you can double-click a point on the chart to open a Google map showing the vehicle's location at that particular moment. It also creates as many axes as necessary to display all the selected PIDs in a reasonable manner. There's a screen capture and instructions on the web site. I tried to make it simple but it does require Java. If you try it out, let me know what you think. If you have any ideas for enhancements or you have a log file that won't load, I can look into it.

Here's the link: Piddle

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wrote a program to automatically chart Torque Pro csv files. It does some things I couldn't get from Excel or Sheets (with my knowledge anyway). For instance, you can double-click a point on the chart to open a Google map showing the vehicle's location at that particular moment. It also creates as many axes as necessary to display all the selected PIDs in a reasonable manner. There's a screen capture and instructions on the web site. I tried to make it simple but it does require Java. If you try it out, let me know what you think. If you have any ideas for enhancements or you have a log file that won't load, I can look into it.

Very cool app! Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
41 Posts
I see a PID named "Last Charged AC KWH" That always show the same number, is this another PID that GM has blocked to 2019 Bolt owners?
The reason I ask I'm trying to ook for a way to establish the real energy and losses for everyday charging.
Got a Juicebox, but have not installed it yet.
Freddy

·
Registered
54 Posts

Is it possible to make a version compatible with the csv output from EngineLink? For Apple folk like myself?
I can take a look myself if it is open source somewhere?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Is it possible to make a version compatible with the csv output from EngineLink? For Apple folk like myself?
I'm sure it's possible. Can you point me to some some sample files?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Telek (or someone else) - has anyone looked at the CAN bus on the OBD connector with a low-level CAN sniffer device (such as the CANable)? Is the OBD firewalled from the rest of the vehicle (common on more advanced/modern vehicles) or is there useful stuff going over the bus that can be seen with a passive sniffer (not a high-level OBD-specific device like the ELM327 family).?

On my parents Sienna there was some useful stuff flying over the bus, and on my '09 Outback, LOTS of nifty stuff not accessible via OBD itself (like frequent updates of individual wheel speeds being squawked on the bus by the ABS controller.). Even for stuff that was OBD-accessible, you got much faster update rates with passive sniffing.

If no one has, I'll likely be digging up my cables anyway by the weekend. :)

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Telek (or someone else) - has anyone looked at the CAN bus on the OBD connector with a low-level CAN sniffer device (such as the CANable)? Is the OBD firewalled from the rest of the vehicle (common on more advanced/modern vehicles) or is there useful stuff going over the bus that can be seen with a passive sniffer (not a high-level OBD-specific device like the ELM327 family).?

On my parents Sienna there was some useful stuff flying over the bus, and on my '09 Outback, LOTS of nifty stuff not accessible via OBD itself (like frequent updates of individual wheel speeds being squawked on the bus by the ABS controller.). Even for stuff that was OBD-accessible, you got much faster update rates with passive sniffing.

If no one has, I'll likely be digging up my cables anyway by the weekend. :)
this from the OpenPilot website:
Additionally, GM has added a Serial Data Gateway with “Cyber Security” filtering that blocks important messages from the OBD-II port (this applies to the 2019 Volt as well). We must interface the unfiltered CAN busses through other connectors in the car.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I use Engine link with the file as is from Telek's link, instructions are also on his link to the csv file with my iphone 7 or ipad

·
Registered
97 Posts
It should also be relatively trivial to convert an EngineLink file to one recognized by Piddle. The program requires three columns to create a chart: "GPS Time", "Latitude" and "Longitude" (additional columns in the csv should contain numeric data which I assume is true for EngineLink). If the data format in those three columns matches the data format used by Torque Pro (maybe questionable for "GPS Time"), then Piddle will load and display the file just fine.

I'd still like to add support so the EngineLink csv files are automatically loaded. I just need to find some examples.

·
Registered
104 Posts
@XJ12 - disappointing, but not surprising. Won't be quite ready to go splicing into CAN buses for a while. (Also surprised that someone lost rear park assist with a cheapo OBD adapter based on post I found if that was the case...)

Haven't quite figured out the best way to mount my phone yet. May just reprioritize getting a pile of 7" resistive touchscreen displays with TI AM5728 SoCs and CANbus interfaces freed from Mentor Embedded... (My employer scrapped a whole pile of telematics displays due to a cosmetic display issue... So I've got a bunch of them in my garage now. ;) )

521 - 540 of 548 Posts