Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Don't worry, we're still getting the "Bolt", but the reason for the trademark application suspension is below:

For the second time, General Motors application to trademark the name “Bolt” for its upcoming electric car is under suspension.

GM unveiled the Bolt Concept during the 2015 North American International Car Show, saying that it will have a driving range of roughly 200 miles and a price tag around $30,000. But the Detroit automaker is running into problems as it tried to protect the name slated for use with the new small electric car. Earlier this year, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office suspended GM’s application for the name because Yamaha already holds a trademark meant for motorcycles and their structural parts. The two companies reached an agreement that would allow GM to proceed were it not for the fact that Bolt Custom Trucks, a Fort Wayne, Ind.,-based company that builds custom sleeper cab for tractor trailers, applied to protect the same name before GM did.

According to timelines reported previously, GM should be targeting a launch for the Bolt in roughly 16 months. Even if GM ends up pushing its timeline back, the Bolt will still go to market with a significant head start over the Tesla Model III that is slated to sell for roughly the same price and offer comparable driving range.

A General Motors representative was not available to comment. Bolt Custom Trucks owner Brian Callan said over the phone that he wasn’t aware of his company’s pending application standing in the way of General Motors’ ability to trademark the name.

·
Registered
428 Posts
So what will be the end result of this? GM can change the name slightly, just make a deal with this truck company, or perhaps pay them off.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure what exactly they will do and don't know what they can, i'll be on the look out for what they end up doing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Add the letter "E" to the name and change it to "EBolt".
e-anything sounds so 2000s to me...electric cars are here, and they are here to stay, and they don't need "e" in the names IMO. I hope GM works things out so that the car can be called "Bolt".

I suppose eBolt wouldn't be THAT bad though >:)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Counter to the article in the OP, I am reading that Chevy is being denied (or at least delayed) the Bolt trademark because Yamaha already trademarked it.

Chevy's patent application is suspended "until the earlier-filed referenced application(s) is either registered or abandoned."

Seems the most likely scenario is GM changes the name of the Bolt to something else.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/115053194607/chevrolet-cant-trademark-bolt-name-because-yamaha

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:

"As of last week, our legal staff received consent from Yamaha to use the Bolt name,"

"According to our legal team, our USPTO application is back to active status."

The application was suspended because of a perceived "likelihood of confusion" with another trademark.

GM's application will remain suspended until the Yamaha application is "either registered or abandoned," the USPTO says.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Why not keep consistent with the Volt name. Chevy Amp, Chevy Watt, Chevy Killowatt...

Whats the problem from Yammi? That people might confuse their Star Bolt line with an EV? Oh i doubt that...

·
Registered
428 Posts
It seems like Yamaha does have the rights to it, so if they want to keep it for themselves than they could. I don't think there would be much confusion though. The Yamaha Bolt is not even electric.

It seems at this point that everything should be fine for Chevy and the Bolt.

Those electricity associated names are fertile ground right now. I am wondering which company will trademark 'Jolt' first.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It seems like Yamaha does have the rights to it, so if they want to keep it for themselves than they could. I don't think there would be much confusion though. The Yamaha Bolt is not even electric.

It seems at this point that everything should be fine for Chevy and the Bolt.

Those electricity associated names are fertile ground right now. I am wondering which company will trademark 'Jolt' first.
I like Joule, probably one of the Frenchies go there ;)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why not keep consistent with the Volt name. Chevy Amp, Chevy Watt, Chevy Killowatt...

Whats the problem from Yammi? That people might confuse their Star Bolt line with an EV? Oh i doubt that...

You never know, someone originally wanting a Bolt EV might somehow mistakenly buy the bolt motorcycle instead :D

·
Registered
428 Posts
You never know, someone originally wanting a Bolt EV might somehow mistakenly buy the bolt motorcycle instead :D
That would be a story that I would want to hear.

I think that companies only care about trademark infringement if they are just trolling generally for money from lawsuits, or if they actually believe that the infringement might confuse customers. Otherwise, why not be friendly?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That would be a story that I would want to hear.

I think that companies only care about trademark infringement if they are just trolling generally for money from lawsuits, or if they actually believe that the infringement might confuse customers. Otherwise, why not be friendly?
I honestly don't expect anyone to confuse them. Immediately someone wanting the Bolt passenger vehicle would see the motorcycle and ignore it, needs are completely different.

·
Registered
79 Posts
They're both motorized transportation though...I can see how the motorcycle company would want to maintain exclusivity on that name.

I'm sure a big check from GM could change all of that though...

·
Registered
264 Posts
They're both motorized transportation though...I can see how the motorcycle company would want to maintain exclusivity on that name.

I'm sure a big check from GM could change all of that though...
Yea but they fall into different buckets. Chev would be in the "automotive a structural parts related" category...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also this can't be the only situation like this, i'm sure there are others where the categories they go under helped to create that divide needed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts