Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think that it is a good idea to run with this idea. People with less money still care about the environment and want to be free from gas prices. These people are just itching for an EV that is in their price range. I don't think they care about it being a luxury vehicle.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Elon Musk has spoken out at the Detroit Auto Show. Musk says that the upcoming Model 3 will cost $35,000. That is before state and federal tax incentives.

Just the Feds will give you $7,500 for going electric, which puts the real sticker price of the Bolt at $37,500. And if Tesla used the same math GM is promoting, that would mean the Model 3 would come in at $27,500 after current incentives.
So we will see which company offers the more attainable EV in the end.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
639 Posts
attainability, the key word here, powerful. At a price of $30k after the fed give you your money, it's going to likely be on of the newer EV's that we seem much more often, especially as the electric vehicle infrastructure improves and keeps on developing

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Point taken. Only time will tell I suppose. I do think that Tesla will at the least try to stick around the $30,000 mark. That seems to be the magic number these days.
Absolutely.

Personally I'm of the opinion that a company like GM or even Nissan-Renault will be the first to broach the $30K level simply as a matter of their scale vs Tesla.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely.

Personally I'm of the opinion that a company like GM or even Nissan-Renault will be the first to broach the $30K level simply as a matter of their scale vs Tesla.
to add..

Improvements in battery technology, electric motors and the use of lightweight materials have helped slice nearly $10,000 off of the cost of manufacturing the Volt, said Mark Reuss, GM's executive vice president for global product development.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Plus a brand like GM has platforms they can already use for future $30k range EV's which take away a lot of guess work and speed up the process for them, with us possibly seeing the Bolt before the Tesla 3

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plus a brand like GM has platforms they can already use for future $30k range EV's which take away a lot of guess work and speed up the process for them, with us possibly seeing the Bolt before the Tesla 3
Actually more likely is that they simply reskin the same platform for different applications. They could easily get a CUV, sedan and small hatch from the same platform.

Would help them amortize costs and provide to us at a lower cost as well. Something Tesla won't be able to take advantage of for some time...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Actually more likely is that they simply reskin the same platform for different applications. They could easily get a CUV, sedan and small hatch from the same platform.

Would help them amortize costs and provide to us at a lower cost as well. Something Tesla won't be able to take advantage of for some time...
Exactly, basically covering all entry-level EV segments quite easily, something they can also do in good timing. Don't see why they can't make it happen sooner than Tesla can/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts