Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great specifications, but I have never seen a fuglier vehicle in my life. And the shatter proof windows bring back memories of the Windows 98 Reveal and the blue screen of death.

Long live the Electric Chevy Pickup!

Keith

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you can't dent or scratch the unpainted doors.... but the front has to be able to collapse in a frontal collision, and the paint on Tesla's is notorious for being thin and easy to scratch. Who cares if your door metal doesn't scratch if you drive it off road, the paint will be ruined the first time you drive through some brush. Well, Model Y reservations will go up in the morning... cause people who were thinking of the cybertruck will get a Y instead!

Keith

·
Registered
362 Posts
My favorite part was the ballistic glass demo. The fact that he had to do the second half of the reveal in front of a truck with two broken windows was a bit tense... but I think the broken windows are the most stylish part of the truck. ;) Let the memes begin: "Lost to a ball bearing". :D

Mike

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Who says the front hood has to collapse? The truck can probably just drive through the other car! :0
European pedestrian safety standards for one thing... but in reality land, crumple zones save vehicle occupant lives, not being built like a tank. Tesla is known for good crash test results and safety over all so I expect this truck to score well in crash testing... therefor the front will collapse like an accordion on frontal impacts. But the main point was that I don't care how tough the metal is, the paint quality means you can't take it off road unless you want it to look even more like crap than it does brand new.

Keith

·
Registered
867 Posts
This is actually something I am intrigued by. Lots of room inside, a large bed, and industrial look. Not for everyone but I put down $100. I think if this truck got tagged it would complete the look. Cyberpunk is beautiful to me...

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Industrial look? Unpainted stainless = Delorean... a car that was notorious for being hard to repair because nobody works on unpainted stainless steel. If they only offer them bare with no paint they will all look identical. If they paint them they will be on road only because the paint will not hold up to off road use.

If this is your cup of tea, more power too you! What is the interior going to be like? I didn't see anything in the reveal, if I was interested after seeing the exterior, no display of the interior would have worried me.

Keith

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
My comments from another forum:

Is this real life checks if it's April 1...

Elon is the worst at unveiling new stuff, as if he didn't rehearse, which he probably didn't. I assume he was thinking of more interesting stuff than how to present a product in front of millions of people.

The deposit is only $100 this time, for a target date 2 years out. Either Tesla doesn't need to raise the capital as badly as last time, or people aren't falling for that trick again.

Still can't believe the style is that stark and cold. I don't see it having mass appeal.

The price seems incredibly good if it's as advertised... like a major leap in battery manufacturing good. 250 mile range in the base truck for $40k... It's got to have a ~125 kWh battery... in the lowest range option. Twice that for the long range version. That's more than twice the capacity of the Model 3+ (~50 kWh) at the same price point.

I don't know what the deal with the bulletproof doors and tough windows are. Unless the body is structural, it doesn't need to be so tough. Always thought the stainless steel of the Delorean was neat and wondered why nobody else had copied that.

Interior- seats 6:

·
Registered
10 Posts
For a work truck at $40k, I would buy one. I'm interested in the utility of vehicle and style is less important. Not saying the Bolt is not a great vehicle, but I am not sure the big 3 are going to introduce anything meaningfully better for the price. Aren't introductory EV trucks from Ford/GM going to be starting at $50k plus?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I thought the 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 was the ugliest pickup truck I'd ever seen when it came out. It has now lost its crown.

I found it hard to believe, but people bought the Ram 1500. If Tesla delivers what they say they will at the price they stated, the Cybertruck will sell. Probably a lot.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
The big 3 have everything to fear from this truck despite the awful appearance. If the truck is as good as advertised, then it's incredibly utilitarian. I'm wondering how well received it will be by contractors. A 250 mile range should be plenty for most, and the inverter and air compressor should be very handy. Of course, having a 6.5' bed makes it less useful for those working with standard 4x8 materials. The price and cost of ownership is the biggest thing here. If they can hit those price targets then they have a winner.

Wondering what the final version will look like considering you still have to put mirrors on, and there were no cameras for autopilot on this demo truck.

I'm revising my estimate of the efficiency and battery sizes... Perhaps the truck can do 2.5 miles per kWh. That would mean the 250 mile base truck would have a 100 kWh battery, with the 500 mile range having 200. I wonder if Tesla is making 3 battery sizes, or just giving the base version the same battery as the midrange, but software locking it with the option to unlock it in the future?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Great specifications, but I have never seen a fuglier vehicle in my life. And the shatter proof windows bring back memories of the Windows 98 Reveal and the blue screen of death.

Long live the Electric Chevy Pickup!

Keith
Ditto. It looks like it was designed by a bored high schooler in a geometry class. Also ... every single pre-release rendering looked better including the take-off of the old VW ones (https://www.motor1.com/features/237621/10-coolest-vw-pickups/); (https://insideevs.com/news/383696/tesla-truck-pickup-loyalty-ram-f-150/
Code:
). Which to the American truck buyer would probably be considered extreme.

This design is beyond comprehension if you expect it to sell in the USA. It's a monstrosity.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
I have never had any interest in owning a truck. All trucks are ugly. My wife always wanted a pickup for hauling garden/yard stuff.

The base model at 40K gets the same range as a 2020 Bolt, but has the Tesla charging network. If they are getting that range with those stupid tires, a set of road tires should see closer to 280 miles. Despite the stealth bomber slab sides, it has better aerodynamics than most cars. With the rolltop desk bed cover, it is a fastback. And notice it has no side mirrors...cameras.

It supposedly has an onboard 110/220 volt inverter. Depending on the power output, this could run our house during power outages. I could flip the whole house breaker, and plug it into the 14-50 outlet in the garage.

Stainless steel uni-body, perhaps the million mile battery.

My biggest concern riding my electric assist cargo bike is what happens if it ever fails 80 miles from home. I am looking at trying to rent a U-Haul on short notice. This thing has a built in ramp. Elon might just be smarter than you think.

·
Registered
72 Posts
the paint on Tesla's is notorious for being thin and easy to scratch. Who cares if your door metal doesn't scratch if you drive it off road, the paint will be ruined the first time you drive through some brush.
Probably California VOC rules making for crappy paint. I'd get a car in stainless if the option were available.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts