Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going through 14 cars (of different segments), the 2017 Chevy Bolt managed to beat the competition to become MotorTrends car of the year.

The finalists came down to:

Audi A4
Cadillac CT6
Chrysler Pacifica
Genesis G90
Jaguar XE
Porsche 911
Tesla Model S 60/75
Volvo S90

I actually thought it would have been the Chrysler Pacifica, only because of how much of an impact it made when it came out. Winning awards day and night, the Pacifica was stirring up buzz from many publications and what not.

They do go into a good bit of depth as to why they've picked the Chevy Bolt in terms of Value, Design, Engineering, etc.

Check it out here : http://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-bolt-ev-2017-car-of-the-year/
On the face of it, $37,495 seems a lot for a compact hatchback, but the math deserves some perspective. The federal EV tax credit of $7,500 gets the price down to less than $30,000, which is outstanding value given current electric vehicle tech. And certain state rebates may knock the price down even further. Only a Tesla can offer superior range and performance, and the cheapest Model S 60 costs $67,200 (before rebates)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The Pacifica may be bringing back the family minivan, but the Chevy Bolt is making something that used to be out of reach for most people available to the masses.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is true.. revolutionizing the industry. That definitely makes a bigger impact than just a refreshed minivan

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'll be interested in seeing how it holds up to the new Model 3 on a list like this once it comes out but so far i'm impressed with what GM has accomplished and the new Volt is a good indication of what we might be able to expect from the Bolt in terms of sales volume.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it'll get a lot more interesting in the next 4-5 years when we'll have quite a bit more competition for the Bolt. Right now as it is, it's only the Model 3 that is it's biggest thing. Later on, manufacturers will all have something out that'll be in direct competition with it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I posted about this at another thread, but I am very happy that it was posted here, too.

BTW, Toyota had two Prius candidates: the "Prime" was a "no show" (didn't appear) so it was never evaluated. The Prius Two Eco was so boring that it was eliminated quickly and never became even a finalist. Seems as Toyota lost its touch and dominance.

"There also were no-shows with no explanation, as well as concurrent large-scale press events for the Porsche 718, Toyota Prius Prime PHEV, Infiniti Q60, and Smart Fortwo that ate up the national allocation of press cars. (A plea to makers of genuinely wonderful 2018-model cars: Please keep at least one unit available during the second half of September.) And scheduled production for five more models had yet to start. After those casualties, we had narrowed our field to 25 contenders with 34 variants."

Honda had the revived Accord Hybrid but it didn't reach the finalist list either.
Here is the direct link to Motor Trend's testing of all the candidates:
http://www.motortrend.com/news/behind-the-scenes-2017-car-of-the-year-testing/

This is interesting reading on how the Bolt EV won their evaluations and beat out many others costing more. GM, congratulations!

·
Registered
786 Posts
The Pacifica may be bringing back the family minivan, but the Chevy Bolt is making something that used to be out of reach for most people available to the masses.
There is a hybrid version of the Pacifica that will be available next year (2017), but it may not qualify for the next COTY evaluation, unless Chrysler rebrands it as a 2018 model. I have seen the gas only Pacifica up close, and it is a great looking vehcile with many features that no other brand has (not even the "so called" better imports, which aren't BETTER at all).

I hope GM will surprise us in January 2017 with a new EV or EREV CUV, based on the new Equinox.;)

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think it'll get a lot more interesting in the next 4-5 years when we'll have quite a bit more competition for the Bolt. Right now as it is, it's only the Model 3 that is it's biggest thing. Later on, manufacturers will all have something out that'll be in direct competition with it.
There is a present "competition": the Nissan Leaf. Now the Leaf is outdated even if the range was increased to 120 miles, as announced somewhere.

The Model 3 is still a "concept" with few physical vehicles and incomplete interiors. The Bolt EV had a complete interior and was a real driveable "concept" when GM presented it in January 2015. I doubt TM will ever catch up with the Bolt EV, since its only alternative was to reissue the Model S 60 kWh version (one of the MT finalists), and expect frustrated Model 3 reservations to be transfered to buy this model instead.:(

And I see that selling the 60 kWh version then charging (pun intended) extra money to upgrade to the 75 kWh capacity is a case for malpractice because that is fooling the buyer to get more for extra money, instead of just offering the full 75 kWh for the original price.

Would you buy any gas car that offers all of its engine cylinder operating only if you pay extra for them?

Tesla Motors continues to over promise and under deliver, while GM under promises and over delivers!

·
Registered
172 Posts
There is a present "competition": the Nissan Leaf. Now the Leaf is outdated even if the range was increased to 120 miles, as announced somewhere.
There was a strong rumor that the 2017 leaf would be 'facelifted' and have a 40kwh pack with 120-140 miles of range, but this turned out to be false. The 2017 Leaf is unchanged from the 2016, with 107 miles of range. This is why I am here, looking into leasing a Bolt. Nissan apparently didn't even fix the small problems with the current Leaf, like terrible high beams and no charge limit options. The cars will also likely still need to have the accessory battery manually charged regularly. I like my 2013 Leaf, but I'm ready to move up, not sideways.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did consider the Nissan Leaf but after looking at how it fared against the Bolt, I just disregarded it to be honest. I apologize as I should have mentioned that.

·
Registered
786 Posts
There was a strong rumor that the 2017 leaf would be 'facelifted' and have a 40kwh pack with 120-140 miles of range, but this turned out to be false. The 2017 Leaf is unchanged from the 2016, with 107 miles of range. .. The cars will also likely still need to have the accessory battery manually charged regularly.
What? Doesn't the Leaf charge the accessory 12 VDC battery from the main traction battery (with a DC-DC converter), as all other hybrids and EVs do?:eek:

·
Registered
172 Posts
What? Doesn't the Leaf charge the accessory 12 VDC battery from the main traction battery (with a DC-DC converter), as all other hybrids and EVs do?:eek:
Sure it does, a lot of the time, for a while. It just doesn't always do it long enough or well enough, and if the car is left plugged into an EVSE but not charging, it will kill the 12 volt battery as the charging system keeps periodically monitoring the connection, draining the accessory battery. Some people have had no 12 volt battery issues, while others have found weak or dead 12 volt batteries on multiple occasions. I installed a hardwired Battery tender JR lead, run into the charge port compartment so I can plug it in easily. I can't say that I want to keep having to do that with my next EV, though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mark my words, these Bolts are gonna' fly out of the showrooms. They're real game changers in our journey away from IC engine powered transport.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts