Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I always thought Chevy Bolt was a boring and quirky looking car until I had a guest on my channel who brought his Bolt to me for review. It changed my mind in so many ways.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I have not played the video yet, but, from the title, I think the reviewer either knows little about EVs or does not know the generally-held definition of a "commuter car" (IMHO).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have not played the video yet, but, from the title, I think the reviewer either knows little about EVs or does not know the generally-held definition of a "commuter car" (IMHO).
What is the definition of a commuter car to you?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
What is the definition of a commuter car to you?
One that is only good for driving short (<25 miles/day) distances and gets charged every night. Often one with no DCFC capability. One that is {frequently} charged using only an AC Level 1 EVSE. I have taken my 2017 Bolt EV on over 10 trips of >400 miles.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The Bolt IS a great car for commuting, but it is NOT constrained to a "commuter car". Since I bought my Bolt in 2017, my other car (a Ford CMax Energi PHEV) has been relegated to the "commuter car" status. We take the Bolt whenever we travel - why burn gas if we don't have to? The only exceptions are when we don't have a choice - like when my wife and I travel in opposite directions. Also this coming weekend we are travelling 500 miles. I will take the Bolt if possible, but it's in the body shop right now after a fender bender. If we have to take the CMax we will, but I am NOT looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
One that is only good for driving short (<25 miles/day) distances and gets charged every night. Often one with no DCFC capability. One that is {frequently} charged using only an AC Level 1 EVSE. I have taken my 2017 Bolt EV on over 10 trips of >400 miles.
Agreed, it's a great commuter car but is capable of much more. Having the ability to hit the open road with a reasonable expectation of success puts it in a different category. Your definition is spot on for my 2013 Leaf.
That was a commuter car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for chiming in. I don't know how many of you actually watched the video from the beginning to end. In the video I talked to the owner and he said exact same positive things about the car. Calling this car a "great commuter" was meant to be a compliment. Many of us use their cars primarily for commuting, so that much range and potential of charging for free (at least where we are) makes it a perfect car for commuting as well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I haven't bought a Bolt yet, but I see it primarily as a "commuter car", too ... at least for the road trips I do (900 miles one-way up and down the East Coast 2 times per year ... sometimes 3 times ... last year, a first-time 4-tripper, with all the health problems/deaths up there).

I certainly wouldn't take it on one of these drives over my 2011 V6 Equinox. No way! It might be quicker off the mark (and more fun to drive) than my Equinox, but it won't have as much cargo space, it won't ride as well, it won't hold the road as well, the seats won't be as comfortable, it won't feel as safe, it won't cost any less, and it won't get me there any quicker (in fact, it'll probably add 4 hours to my drive time!).

Why would I want to do that?

Some might be reading this thinking ... "why do you want to drive 900 miles, anyway?" ... but that's another story (with 25 years of history behind it).

But would I do a 300-mile one-way drive in a Bolt? Sure. That's not even a "road trip", in my opinion. I could do that after a full day at work!

Would I do a 400-mile one-way drive in a Bolt? Maybe.

Would I do a 500-mile one-way drive in a Bolt? I think it would depend on the charging infrastructure, but I'm guessing ... given the current situation, the answer would probably be "no". I think I'd be "out" at the 400-mile mark. What's that (?) ... two stops for charging (best-case scenario)?

I'll tell you what, though ... I might consider a one-way rental on my next 900-mile drive just to see, first-hand, what it would be like driving a car - as small as the Bolt, that far (never mind the potential charging headache/additional travel time). I just think driving a car that small, that far, is going to take a toll on your back and lower body ... not to mention your nerves.

... but I could be wrong ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I certainly wouldn't take it on one of these drives over my 2011 V6 Equinox. No way! It might be quicker off the mark (and more fun to drive) than my Equinox, but it won't have as much cargo space, it won't ride as well, it won't hold the road as well, the seats won't be as comfortable, it won't feel as safe, it won't cost any less, and it won't get me there any quicker (in fact, it'll probably add 4 hours to my drive time!).
After test driving and reviewing the car I agree with 90% of what you said except three things: "it won't hold the road as well" "it won't feel as safe" "it won't cost any less".

It actually holds the road very well. I haven't seen crush test results, but it has a lot of safety features (EVs are generally safer because so much more space for engineers to place structural elements than in ICE equipped cars). The person in the video said he spends 13-15 bucks to fully charge. How much gas can you get for that price?

I was very skeptic about this car. I would probably buy it as a commuter after driving it (if I could get over the quirky design and uncomfortable seats), but definitely not as the only car in the family.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Most of my miles are commuting, so I guess I would call the Bolt a commuter car for me. But I know I can soon go cross countries (just waiting on 3 DCFC stations to give me 2 paths East-West). :)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Those of us who've owned the Bolt for years and driven it for thousands of miles in all weather and traffic would want to watch/listen to the opinions of a random guy who's been loaned one for a day? I don't think so.

jack vines

·
Registered
67 Posts
As someone who is still in the process of prepping financially to get a Bolt (just can't seem to will that dead tree to fall on my car) I appreciate first-impression videos as well as videos by owners who have 3 years and 120,000 miles logged like NC.

That said, I don't approve of creating an account on a forum strictly for self-promotion.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Labeling a an EV as a commuter car carries a significant stigma. It conjures up an image of a tiny short range vehicle, a "beefed up golf cart", if you will. And in a way many of the modern 1st generation EVs were just that - compacts with 100 or so miles of range at best. Bolt EV is nothing like that - even though it can be used as a great commuter car, it's a capable long-range vehicle with good passenger and cargo spaces as others have already chimed in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts