Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I always thought Chevy Bolt was a boring and quirky looking car until I had a guest on my channel who brought his Bolt to me for review. It changed my mind in so many ways.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Why would those who own a Bolt and have driven it for years care a whit what a clickbait blogger who only drove a loaner have to say?

jack vines

·
Registered
165 Posts
Why would those who own a Bolt and have driven it for years care a whit what a clickbait blogger who only drove a loaner have to say?

jack vines
Let me guess ... you shut the video off less than 5 minutes in because you were offended by him calling the Bolt a "commuter car"?

He actually gave the Bolt a good review ... had a big, genuine smile on his face by the end. And that's all you should care about if you really care about EV acceptance and the environment ... which is what I thought EV ownership was primarily about (right now).

·
Registered
689 Posts
FWIW, when I ask Google, "What is a commuter car", here is the answer I get:

Long miles are put on commuter cars, making drivers want a car that is both fuel-efficient and fun to drive. While big SUVs might be enticing for getting away to the backcountry, a commuter car is best when compact with plenty of comfortable features.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Commuter car is a term for a car with very low range and in town or city only......both things do not apply to the BoltEV. Hence why I respectfully believe that it is not a commuter car.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Let me guess ... you shut the video off less than 5 minutes in because you were offended by him calling the Bolt a "commuter car"?

He actually gave the Bolt a good review ... had a big, genuine smile on his face by the end. And that's all you should care about if you really care about EV acceptance and the environment ... which is what I thought EV ownership was primarily about (right now).
Agree, good reviews are better than bad reviews, but read up a bit on this particular guy; it's all about him and he goes where the clicks are: Darren Rovell - Wikipedia.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Commuter car is a term for a car with very low range and in town or city only......both things do not apply to the BoltEV. Hence why I respectfully believe that it is not a commuter car.
It is exactly a commuter car. This primary use case is exemplified in the SF Bay Area where they are seen frequently. Here, commutes average 32 minutes, with increasing numbers of "super-commuters" traveling 90 minutes or more. Some cities (like Antioch as described here) have average commute times of more than 90 minutes, and commutes from Tracy or Manteca are commonplace. The reduced cost of fuel, the reduced emissions and associated carpool lane benefits, the ease of plugging in at home instead of visiting filling stations two to three times per week, and low maintenance for a high-mileage vehicle have made it the commuter's dream.

I don't commute and sometimes I feel like I'm wasting the car's potential.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I've seen some decked out F-150 and F-250's being used as commuter cars. ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Agree, good reviews are better than bad reviews, but read up a bit on this particular guy; it's all about him and he goes where the clicks are: Darren Rovell - Wikipedia.
That’s not the same guy. The link you attached is some Jewish guy from New York who’s primarily been a sports writer.

The guy who did this video sounds like a foreigner ... has a pretty good accent, and makes reference to Russia ... so maybe that’s where he’s from (?) ... although that wouldn’t be my guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I disagree. It is exactly a commuter car and that has been debated in about 30 threads on this forum. This of course is as divided as the political system in ‘Merida. There are many who agree with you, respectfully submitted.
I own a Bolt and I specifically bought it as a commuter car. My daily round trip work commute is 64 miles. It works great for me and that purpose. So to me it feels more like a commuter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've seen some decked out F-150 and F-250's being used as commuter cars. ;)
Yep, so have I. I've seen a lot of trucks in my lifetime that when you look at the bed of the truck it appears nothing has every touched it except sunshine and rain, assuming they didn't buy a bed cover (which many do).

·
Registered
689 Posts
I own a Bolt and I specifically bought it as a commuter car. My daily round trip work commute is 64 miles. It works great for me and that purpose. So to me it feels more like a commuter.
Meanwhile, I bought a Bolt so that I could road trip in an EV. Before it, I had a degraded 24kWh Leaf. It got about 40 miles of range in the dead of winter. Plenty for my short commute and evening errands (<25 miles/day), but I would never take it to visit my mother 250 miles away. I bought the Bolt specifically because it could easily do that (albeit with a single stop of less than 20 minutes).

·
Registered
94 Posts
I drove every other weekend 960 km (600 miles) from August 2019 to March 2020 without a problem. And we have here some nasty winters... not like Cali winters. During the weekdays, my daily commute is about 15 miles round trip. I don't know what exactly a "commuter" means, but my Bolt EV does all I want a car to do. To get me from A to B safe and sound. And by the way, it’s the only family car and it’s perfect ! I carried some stuff in my Bolt EV that no Tesla would be able too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts