Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago I got in the mail a very nice Chevy spring Jacket.This was because I got an email about how my experience with my Chevy bolt was going. I basically said that the car is amazing but my dealership experiences just to charge the car was horrible. I'm a young looking guy who dresses a little urban raised in the city, I was asked for licence insurance registration along with a work order, other dealers claim to simply have lost the key to turn on the chargers.

I have since stooped going to dealerships if I require a top up I would much rather go to Ikea as in Canada charging is always free and open almost 24 7. Also getting a level 2 charger at home helped a lot. My Bolt Ambassador told me to email her right away if the dealerships continue to try and bully me that she will sort it out. Also mentioning that I was considering buying a corvette in the future for a sports car and now reconsidering to Porsche Mission E because of the terrible service helped too ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
The chargers at my dealership are always blocked by gasmobile, especially the 25kw dc fast Charger. I’ve send complaint emails using their website, received “we’ll get back to you” replies, but never an actual response.

They just don’t care. I have no idea if they are told those are for customers or their own business use.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Cool shirt. Maybe in the future whenever an ICE car tries to squat in an EV charging stall, the built-in transponder unit will not allow the engine to go into park. Now that I think about it, an easier option would be just a built-in thermal sensor on the charging unit itself, with a flashing red light and a license plate reader sending an image to the local authorities.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think dealers are realizing there days are numbered, with virtually no maintenance and service required for electric cars. Only the Chevy Bolt can use the fast charger at the dealerships they are for us.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
wait, you can get free charging at chevy dealerships?
Not all of them, any Chevy dealership that sells the Volt is supposed to have a L2 charger and any that sells the Bolt is supposed to have a L3 charger but in the U.S. at least they are under no obligation to make those chargers available to anyone, not even their own customers.

Some do but other have them located in the service area where customers can't go. I heard that one has their located in their showroom as a display piece. And as you've seen here even when the charger is in a "publicly accessible" area there are often other cars parked in those spots.

Also worth noting that every dealer L3 charger I've ever heard of has been one of the small 25kW units, still 3x faster than L2 (if you have a low SoC) but sow for L3.

As I understand it in Canada the Dealers are supposed to make their L2 & L3 chargers available for Chevy EV customers but I have no idea if they do in the real world.

·
Registered
304 Posts
As I understand it in Canada the Dealers are supposed to make their L2 & L3 chargers available for Chevy EV customers but I have no idea if they do in the real world.
Some do and some don't, so it's a YMMV situation up here too (moreso for the L3 than the L2 chargers).

·
Registered
676 Posts
My wife had an excellent idea for dealing with gas holes.... get a j1772 extension cable and park behind the gashole. Plug in and charge as long as you wish. Blocking works two ways ya know..... :)

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Not all of them, any Chevy dealership that sells the Volt is supposed to have a L2 charger and any that sells the Bolt is supposed to have a L3 charger but in the U.S. at least they are under no obligation to make those chargers available to anyone, not even their own customers.

Some do but other have them located in the service area where customers can't go. I heard that one has their located in their showroom as a display piece. And as you've seen here even when the charger is in a "publicly accessible" area there are often other cars parked in those spots.

Also worth noting that every dealer L3 charger I've ever heard of has been one of the small 25kW units, still 3x faster than L2 (if you have a low SoC) but sow for L3.

The dealership where I purchased my Bolt EV did not have a functional L2 charger, and literally didn't know what a DCFC charger was, let alone have one on site. I had to have them trailer my Bolt EV to my house and drop it off, because it was at less than 50% charge and the dealership was 112 miles from my house.

Keith

PS: Most of that battery use was due to climate control. I think that every time they started the Bolt EV they would let it run until it did the auto shut off rather than hitting the power button before getting out of the car.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The dealership where I purchased my Bolt EV did not have a functional L2 charger, and literally didn't know what a DCFC charger was, let alone have one on site. I had to have them trailer my Bolt EV to my house and drop it off, because it was at less than 50% charge and the dealership was 112 miles from my house.
Yeah supposed to is the operative term, I'm sure that there are gaps in the system, maybe GM letting a dealer that isn't "certified" to sell the Bolt sell a few of them in an area where there aren't a lot of dealers or certified dealers, or maybe a dealer that isn't supposed to be able to order a Bolt getting one through a dealer trade or some other not-normal process.

I wonder if they spent more money trailering your car to your house than it would have cost to install a new functional L2 charger. My quick and dirty math tells me they spent at least $65 in fuel for the round trip plus at least $75 in wages (if they sent just one guy) so I guess not but still that's super wasteful.

PS: Most of that battery use was due to climate control. I think that every time they started the Bolt EV they would let it run until it did the auto shut off rather than hitting the power button before getting out of the car.
Crazy, you would think that they would be familiar with push button ignition on ICE cars & trucks. Also why couldn't they have charged the car with the included 120v charger? That's all I had for the first 2 months I had the car and I put 1500 miles on it in that time.

All I know is if you ever have a warranty issue I sure hope you don't have to bring it back to that dealer.

Did you let GM know about the problems with the dealer?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
My wife had an excellent idea for dealing with gas holes.... get a j1772 extension cable and park behind the gashole. Plug in and charge as long as you wish. Blocking works two ways ya know..... :)
One problem with that is they cost between $200-$300 for one of those extension cables, another is I could see a situation where YOU could end up having your car towed away for blocking someone in or having your car vandalized.

I think a better choice is to have more states pass laws making it illegal to park in an EV charging spot when not charging. That's the law here in California and it's very rare to see a gas car parked in a charging spot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
**** you guys too eh.... I thought it was just because I'm hip ;). There should be a term for being anti electric vehicle... the future is inevitable

·
Registered
836 Posts
Nearest Chevy dealer with an L3 charger is 80 miles away. The local dealers I have checked have the 3.8 KW L2 units.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Cool shirt. Maybe in the future whenever an ICE car tries to squat in an EV charging stall, the built-in transponder unit will not allow the engine to go into park. Now that I think about it, an easier option would be just a built-in thermal sensor on the charging unit itself, with a flashing red light and a license plate reader sending an image to the local authorities.
Thermal sensor? Hmm.... how about an inductive pickup loop in the pavement to sense the car and an annoying siren sound if you don't plug in within 60 seconds? Or as my wife suggested, get a j1772 extension cord and block the gashole in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.