Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've taken our Chevy Bolt, a battery electric vehicle (EV), on three road trips in our three months of ownership.

I'd used EV Trip Planner previously to estimate the amount of energy required for each leg of road trips we'd taken in our 2015 Nissan Leaf. While not foolproof, the web site trip planner was useful for determining how often and where we would need to stop and charge.

So when we leased the Bolt, EV Trip Planner was where turned first to plan our road trips.

Since I'd last used EV Trip Planner, Ben Hannel, the web site's designer, has added two pull downs for the Nissan Leaf: Leaf Alpha and Leaf Beta. There is no pull down for the Chevy Bolt, though there is one for Tesla's Model 3.
I have a query into Ben, a student at Stanford University, but at this time I don't know the difference between the two pull down entries.

For all practical purposes, the Chevy Bolt resembles the Nissan Leaf except that the Bolt uses a much bigger battery and is a few hundred pounds heavier.

However, on a recent trip to Grover Beach from Bakersfield, I found that EV Trip Planner's Leaf Beta entry underestimated consumption by more than 20% on one leg. See Trip Report: Bakersfield to Grover Beach in a Bolt--Mileage Estimates Off.

On an earlier trip to LAX I had thought that Leaf Beta was returning more accurate estimates of consumption than Leaf Alpha. See Trip Report: Bakersfield to LAX in a Bolt.

The experience of being off by more than 20% on one leg of the trip to Grover Beach was unnerving. I always try to maintain at least a 20% reserve for unexpected contingencies, such as a road being closed or a charge station being out-of-service.

Our experience so far is that Leaf Alpha consistently overestimates consumption. Thus we'll arrive at our destination with more charge than expected. This is how we prefer it.

I'll continue to make these comparisons as we explore the range of the Bolt. For now, though, I'll use Leaf Alpha in the pull down menu and temper these estimates with those returned from Leaf Beta.

I also plan to take a series of drives that we've done in the Leaf and compare the Bolt's consumption with that of the Leaf.

As noted in the companion articles, the error in EV Trip Planner's estimates for Leaf Beta on the trip to the coast could have been due to a headwind.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Interesting .
have you compared the info to the Chevy App "Plan your route"?
I just discovered it and playing around with it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll take a look at it today. When I got the Bolt I played with several "apps" including the Chevy app. None did much for me. The Chevy app returned some obvious errors like showing a charging station where no station exists.

More later.

Paul

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll take a look at it today. When I got the Bolt I played with several "apps" including the Chevy app. None did much for me. The Chevy app returned some obvious errors like showing a charging station where no station exists.

More later.

Paul
Yes, it appears that the Chevy app does take elevation into account, but there are no details to evaluate. The app provides only a range and return estimate on a map. It varies with terrain. Just too limited to use at the edge of the car's range.

Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I checked out the Green Race page. Pretty hard to figure out at first as it seems to be based in France and anywhere you click it says it can't map a route from there.

Anyway, am I missing something or is there no way to get it to show you where charging stations are? I'm looking for something that will show me my route then show me where charging stations are and let me choose the ones I want. Seeing the course elevation and total expected power consumption is nice but does not allow me to plan a trip that requires charging.

Also, the Chevrolet app for my Bolt seemed to pale in comparison to what my friend's Tesla route planner would do. It seems to show your route or charging stations, but not both? After I start a route and add my destination, then what? How about if I want to drag the route to a shorter road or to avoid a city center? The little menu has Rearrange route and Remove charging grayed out. My only options are Route setting and Delete route. Am I missing something or am I expecting to much thinking that it will do something for me?

Any help is appreciated. Totally frustrated and I can do a better job planning with an app from one of my charging memberships.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here are some I found, not including Tesla specific websites/apps and not including any that require you to create an account and log in just to see the maps:

Plugshare lets you select the types of chargers you can use, greatly simplifying maps cluttered with charging stations. Then, it lets you specify your trip three ways, by charging stations, by entering addresses, and by clicking on the map. Cool. Then, it can show you only stations along your route, within a certain distance so you don't have to see all the charging stations in LA. Also cool. It has an estimated range that shows as a big green circle on the map but it only goes up to 150 miles. Duh. Maybe you can turn it off but minor distraction. It also has an extremely detailed description of each charger, parking fees, charge rates, location specifics, etc. Other sites paled after seeing Plugshare. I installed it on my phone, too.

Chargehub trip planner works well, shows you the status and types of chargers along your route and their availability at the time and cost.

EV Journey also works well but doesn't show you the cost for each location. It does, however, have a button for each station that lets you put into your route.

I also have charge cards for ChargePoint and eVGo and each have their little niceties but no trip planners.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are some I found, not including Tesla specific websites/apps and not including any that require you to create an account and log in just to see the maps:

Plugshare lets you select the types of chargers you can use, greatly simplifying maps cluttered with charging stations. Then, it lets you specify your trip three ways, by charging stations, by entering addresses, and by clicking on the map. Cool. Then, it can show you only stations along your route, within a certain distance so you don't have to see all the charging stations in LA. Also cool. It has an estimated range that shows as a big green circle on the map but it only goes up to 150 miles. Duh. Maybe you can turn it off but minor distraction. It also has an extremely detailed description of each charger, parking fees, charge rates, location specifics, etc. Other sites paled after seeing Plugshare. I installed it on my phone, too.

Chargehub trip planner works well, shows you the status and types of chargers along your route and their availability at the time and cost.

EV Journey also works well but doesn't show you the cost for each location. It does, however, have a button for each station that lets you put into your route.

I also have charge cards for ChargePoint and eVGo and each have their little niceties but no trip planners.

Dave,

PlugShare allows you to select the range of the vehicle you're driving or at least it did so for my Bolt: 238 miles. The range circle is useless where I live though because it doesn't account for elevation. There are mountains all around us.

Are you in Canada? I've found Canadians like to use Charge Hub but I found it had errors for stations here in California. It's probably fine in Quebec and Ontario.

Further, the "elevation" given in Charge Hub route planning again is useless as it doesn't show the total change in elevation. PlugShare's elevation chart is more useful for that.

But as you found, we're not driving a Tesla and we don't have Tesla's app for range estimation.

I continue to test the different apps against each other. So far, there's no perfect app for our use. See my latest posting comparing the various apps and the trips we've taken.

Paul

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Green Race Trip Planner Unavailable

Green Race, the Swiss EV Trip Planner, is currently unavailable, according to the web site. No further information is available.

That leaves EV Trip Planner and Chevy's Energy Assist app.

Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts