Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We know the Bolt EV is going to be delivered into the hands of waiting customers in California and Oregon first, but recent news from electrek suggests that GM is scaling back their Bolt launch plans.

Those not living in either states will have to wait until next year to get their hands on a Bolt EV and even then, future owners will see a “slow flow” throughout 2017. A big change compared to their commitment last year, stating that the Bolt will be a 50-state vehicle at launch.

According to a tweet posted around four weeks ago, GM’s Orion Assembly plant was gearing up to produce 30 Bolts per hour, but the initial production number was 9 per hour. Maybe the change in plans is due to production issues.

GM spokeswoman Michelle Malcho told the Wall Street Journal that other states will be getting the Bolt in 2017 but only in “limited quantities”. She also states that “We are focusing on this year getting the cars ready for customers…and doing it the right way.”

Or GM could be looking at the Bolt as more of a compliance model than a mass market one since it’ll be available first in two of the 10 states with Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) Mandate.

Whatever the case, some forum members will still be getting their hands on a Bolt EV before the year ends.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Well, sounds like GM will be producing just enough vehicles for the 'must have', "early adopters" to plunk down full price, while being able to iron out any problems with the production (or the model design itself). AND they will be saving the limited 'rebate checks' (once those disappear, the price will go up by $7500 per car). AND they will be able to crow "hey, we are selling them as fast as we can make them!" to make it sound as if everybody wants one.

Not a bad strategy. They could get a considerable % of the model 3 reservationists with a car that is shipping NOW (instead of sometime after 'late 2017) at FULL PRICE. Then they can open the floodgates a year from now, to counter the LEAF and model 3 sales, forcing those manufacturers to offer large discounts on the first models out the door.

Not a bad strategy at all!

·
Registered
734 Posts
They're just lucky that this segment of EV's is only starting off, if there was competition alive and well picking up good momentum then Chevy would ramp things up. As far as I can see here they're just playing the game, and maybe some other things happening in the background.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This will give Nissan time to catch up, by offering the 2018 Leaf 2 next Fall, in all 50 states. I have to lease my next car before the Federal tax credit gets killed, though, or by June at the latest, as I'm on my very last lease extension. This sucks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This will give Nissan time to catch up, by offering the 2018 Leaf 2 next Fall, in all 50 states. I have to lease my next car before the Federal tax credit gets killed, though, or by June at the latest, as I'm on my very last lease extension. This sucks.
Is the issue that the car isn't available in your state yet? Fly to Portland Oregon and you can buy a Bolt today. Fly to Northern California and you can buy one next week. Fly to Southern California and you can buy one in the next few weeks. Or, if you don't feel the need to drive before you buy and/or personally drive it home, maybe you could arrange with a dealer in either of those states to order you one and ship it to you. I'm not aware of any rule against this, but correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is the issue that the car isn't available in your state yet? Fly to Portland Oregon and you can buy a Bolt today. Fly to Northern California and you can buy one next week. Fly to Southern California and you can buy one in the next few weeks. Or, if you don't feel the need to drive before you buy and/or personally drive it home, maybe you could arrange with a dealer in either of those states to order you one and ship it to you. I'm not aware of any rule against this, but correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't believe that this is against any laws or rules, but there are some logistical costs involved.
The biggest concern of doing this will be service. If you have an issue with the vehicle and it needs warranty or other repairs, then most likely you are going to have to find a way to get it back to a GM dealer that is authorized to service the Bolt. I would venture to say that GM is not going to authorize dealers outside of the dealers that are in CA and OR, so good luck getting them to perform any sort of service under warranty as I would think that GM would not reimburse them.

I could be totally wrong here, but I see that as being a valid concern.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That, along with the fact that I'll be leasing, and it's unlikely that the dealers will be rushing to ship cars across the country to lessees.

·
Registered
11 Posts
To my knowledge the tweet that stated that Orion started with 9 Bolt's an hour with plans to ramp to 30 is still the plan. Ramping up production is not like flipping a switch. My understanding is that last week Orion was up to ~13 Bolt's per hour. And they will likely be up to 30 Bolt/Ampera-e's per hour within the next few months.

Canadian ordered Bolt production is scheduled to start first thing of January. Ampera-e's should start rolling off the line some time in the spring. So the full 50 state roll out should be complete somewhere in between. To my knowledge this has always been the plan. And it's faster than the Gen II Volt roll out. So I'm not sure what all the stink is about.

As for the site electrek they have a major beef with GM. The Bolt EV won Motortrend car of the year and they had to write a negative article to keep their Tesla fan base happy. Remember this is the same site that made a big stink saying that Bolt EV production wouldn't even start until well into 2017 and they got their great and well fact checked information (sarcasm) from a dealer in California. And this article came out conveniently after the positive 240 mile media test drives of the Bolt EV. I now refuse to even click on a link to their website because many of their vehicle electrification stories are very far off base with a lot of miss-information.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Wasn't aware that electrek had beef with GM and their vehicles, guess I'll stick with green car reports, they seem to be unbiased and check their facts first. Hopefully, the Orion plant can hit 30 vehicles per hour so those whose lease is ending can get one.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Electrek posted a decent piece outlining the Chevy Bolt leasing information from GM ? Well I guess they still have to post information on it, doesn't mean it has to be favorable information ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Driving home to Colorado is easier said than done since there are not quick chargers along most routes. Probably take a week stopping at RV parks, etc.

In California, you will need their super high sales taxes if you drive it off the lot.

I am buying in San Diego and will have a shipping company load it so I can pay sales tax only in Colorado where I reside.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Driving home to Colorado is easier said than done since there are not quick chargers along most routes. Probably take a week stopping at RV parks, etc.

In California, you will need their super high sales taxes if you drive it off the lot.

I am buying in San Diego and will have a shipping company load it so I can pay sales tax only in Colorado where I reside.
Last time I bought a car, the dealer went to fill in the sales tax line and said "You're lucky." I asked why, and he said you pay sales tax based on where you reside, not where you buy, and tax was lower in my county than the one where I was buying. But I've not had the experience of being an out of state buyer; that's interesting about the shipping strategy.

If you went the other way and wanted to charge at RV parks, I believe you'd need an adapter such as QuickPower's Jesla: http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JESLA-is-THE-40-amp-J1772-portable-charging-solution-JESLA.htm. It's a portable charging cable & EVSE which, depending on the adapters you stick on the end, lets you use the 30 or 50 amp RV park outlets, 20 amp dryer outlets, 16 amp hotel AC outlets, you name it. You can buy a Jesla for a whole bunch of dollars or you can rent one on a monthly basis only when you need one. QuickCharge is also planning to launch JDapter, an adapter for Tesla's 40 and 80 amp Destination Chargers (but not Superchargers). Really neat stuff.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Even more of a reason to get into contact with your family members that live in those low tax states if your not already in one ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wasn't aware that electrek had beef with GM and their vehicles, guess I'll stick with green car reports, they seem to be unbiased and check their facts first. Hopefully, the Orion plant can hit 30 vehicles per hour so those whose lease is ending can get one.
I agree that green car reports is a good source of information. Also Inside EV's is good as well. Hybridcars.com is also very good.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Can anyone else confirm that driving a vehicle off the lot as an out-of-state resident will result in double sales tax?

·
Registered
21 Posts
no cannot confirm that... in fact, its pretty much a false statement. It is common practice to buy a car and state your initial registration for another state which means you pay that state's registration costs and a "vehicle" tax which is technically not a sales tax but in reality that is exactly what it is.

In Reeler's case, he would have to get a temp permit to drive it from the dealership so it would cost him whatever the 5 day or whatever (might be a 3 day permit?? ) permit costs

·
Registered
862 Posts
no cannot confirm that... in fact, its pretty much a false statement. It is common practice to buy a car and state your initial registration for another state which means you pay that state's registration costs and a "vehicle" tax which is technically not a sales tax but in reality that is exactly what it is.

In Reeler's case, he would have to get a temp permit to drive it from the dealership so it would cost him whatever the 5 day or whatever (might be a 3 day permit?? ) permit costs
Policies vary by State. In California, they are required to charge you CA sales tax if you drive off the lot, but not if you have the car shipped out of state.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Policies vary by State. In California, they are required to charge you CA sales tax if you drive off the lot, but not if you have the car shipped out of state.
I bought a car in California, registered it in my home state of record, Michigan to get away with paying less sales tax. I was active duty Military so maybe a different case? FYI; the car never spent a single day in Michigan.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts