Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We finally found out that the Bolt’s combined range rating is 238 miles and now we know what the city rating is thanks to CarScoops.

255 (410 km) miles
is an impressive range for city drivers and the Bolt can travel that distance on one charge, it’s actually comparable to the Tesla Model S 75D which has a city rating of 242.8 miles (390 km) per charge. With a starting price of $37,495 the Bolt EV is also less than half the price of an S 75D. Also, Chevy says the city range can be increased up to 5% in traffic if driven using the Regen-On-Demand paddles. The city is where the Bolt shines but where it loses range is on the highway.

With a less than ideal drag coefficient of .32, the Bolt will only get 217.4 miles (349 km) of range on the highway but, with the decrease in range comes an increase in cargo and interior space. Owners will be able to cram a lot of luggage in the back for long road trips while still having ample space to seat passengers comfortably.

If you do manage to get the maximum amount of tax incentives, the Bolt EV can be purchased for just $29,995.

·
Registered
45 Posts
All these wondrous city milage numbers sound great. I really wonder what part a hilly topography will have on these numbers.
I near Pittsburgh, PA and when we give directions to a non resident we typically talk about going up this hill or down that hill instead of the usual go north or turn east at the light.
Even factoring in the down hill regen. I have to believe that Pittsburgh milage will be quite a bit lower.
One of the reasons I like the Bolt is the torque to help flatten some the the steeper hills I regularly have to climb.

·
Registered
862 Posts
All these wondrous city milage numbers sound great. I really wonder what part a hilly topography will have on these numbers.
I near Pittsburgh, PA and when we give directions to a non resident we typically talk about going up this hill or down that hill instead of the usual go north or turn east at the light.
Even factoring in the down hill regen. I have to believe that Pittsburgh milage will be quite a bit lower.
One of the reasons I like the Bolt is the torque to help flatten some the the steeper hills I regularly have to climb.
Until people get them and we get some real world data, a good rule of thumb will be a loss of 6-7 miles of range per 1000 feet gained and will recover about 80% of that on a descent. This applies more to mountain passes, but the principal applies to smaller hills around town.

The Bolt will likely lose 10-20% of it's range in hilly driving. Speed limit, driving techniques, etc will be a factor.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That's kind of why I don't get too excited when I look at these ranges. Need to see real world numbers first before really getting fully on board into it. Gonna be waiting for some more info from owners

·
Registered
862 Posts
Can't imagine what the mileage will be in cities like San Francisco, the land of steep hills.
Probably easily do 10-12 hours worth of driving in downtown San Fran. And a fair amount of DCFC available.

·
Registered
786 Posts
City driving is where all EVs shine brightly against ICEVs (Internal Combustion Engine Vehicles), because the electric motor works best at slower speeds, there is less drag to the body, and regenerative braking can do the best job, recovering over 80% on every stop. On the other hand, ICEVS give the worst MPG because the engine must be kept running all the time even when the vehicle is stopped, unless it has a "Stop-start" system, then it becomes a light hybrid. Ane we all get the side benefit of less emissions, heat, and noise contamination.

I drive in cities 99% of the time, so I will be get the most ecomony gain when I swap my 2009 Chevy Equinox for a Chevy Bolt EV in the future, and if GM allows my dealer to see and service the Bolt EV. I wish to see my dream where I am standing at a traffic stop, all the vehicles are EVs, and there is no noise except the purr of cooling fans and some music breaking the silence.

·
Registered
786 Posts
As done with the Chevy Spark EV and with the Chevy Volt, someone will do a special run on a full charge, and drive constantly at a low speed, getting over 50% more range than the EPA rating. The Spark EV has a 139 mile record, I believe that a Gen 2 Chevy Volt did 75 miles, so the Chevy Bolt EV will pass 300 miles!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts