Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a chevy bolt EV. It's charging at the rate of 1 mile/hr with a L2 charger. Is my charge options wrong or something to do with the car?

·
Registered
503 Posts
There could be something wrong the the L2 charger or the Bolt.

First, what L2 charger are you using and what current is it capable of? Even the Bolt's own charger at L1 is supposed to provide about 4 mi/hour (1.44kw). But in the winter, if everything is really cold and the car is trying to warm its battery, that could be diminished to 2mi/h.

If you cannot get a decent charge, take it to the dealer and have them check it (good luck with that). Maybe there is a problem with the OBC.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I recently bought a chevy bolt EV. It's charging at the rate of 1 mile/hr with a L2 charger. Is my charge options wrong or something to do with the car?
I've only used an L2 charger a couple tines, the first time I got about 10 miles of range in about 30 minutes. The second time I got 18 miles of range in about 50 minutes. Both times was with the same Siemens charger at the local library rated for 7kW.

Your charging rate sounds like a L1 charger.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The questions needed answered to help

1) What is the electrical circuit your charger is on. 115v/15A? 240/16A? 240/32A?
2) What is the L2 charger make/model?
3) if you can, take a picture of the wall plug

I just installed a new L2 charger on a new 240/32A (40A at panel) circuit. I get exactly 25m of range per hour when plugged in. The first week I owned the car I was using the supplied 115/15A cable and was getting maybe 2-3m per charge as it wasn't using as 15A it was only using 8 as in hopes of not flipping the breaker as I had other things on the same circuit. that's the default for the car when you get it, you have to change a setting so it'll pull 12A

hope that helps you.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Question I have is why post one time with a question and then disappear.

Question posted four days ago, nothing but crickets from OP since.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Quick question, Rait,

I have a 240v VersaCharge L2 and a 240v (converted) L1 in the garage.
I use either one for a full charge, depending on time of day, charge requirements.
Which is better for overall battery life? A slower 12a charge or a faster L2 (30 amp?) charge?
2018 bolt, 7k miles
Larry

·
Registered
724 Posts
This posting is from Last February.
I would start another thread, or better yet search for the answer as it has been discussed several times and several different answers

·
Registered
786 Posts
Quick question, Rait,

I use either one for a full charge, depending on time of day, charge requirements.
Which is better for overall battery life? A slower 12a charge or a faster L2 (30 amp?) charge?
2018 bolt, 7k miles
Larry
I don't have any EV, but as an EE, the slower charger will be better for overall battery life but can harm your life. It has to do with basic physics. A higher current will create more internal heat, and your cooling system may activate on warm or hot days during charging. Heat will degrade the physical structure of the elements inside each cell. GM has done many tests to determine that their battery design at the 7.2 kW charge rate can last for over ten years before the degradation is bad enough to require a replacement. The liquid cooling design is one of the best in the EV market.

Same with the gas engine vehicle. Drive it slow and it can last for centuries, but you won't. Drive it fast and hard, and you will move faster but shorten the life of the gas engine and other components. then you will need more maintenance sooner, including an engine overhaul or replacement.

So you decide if you want to live slow and long or faster and easier. Then treat your vehicles the same way.

Reactions: ldesaul

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Quick question, Rait,

2018 bolt, 7k miles
Larry
Based on a youtube video I watched where an expert lithium ion researcher spoke, it seems charging at the faster rate is best. The enemy of the battery is heat and time spent charging. A faster charge at a given heat will limit wear.

The differences in battery longevity will be minimal though, because the Bolt has thermal management. It holds heat within safe limits while charging. I'd go 30 amp if you already have it, or need it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts