Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
off the top of my head, Nissan Leaf is the prime candidate, i3 follows in second.

If GM decides to proliferate the Bolt through their forign brands like they did the Volt, expect to see a Bolt dressed in Holden, Vauxhall and Opel trims, meaning it will also come into competition with the quirky french EV's...

·
Registered
786 Posts
I see the BMW i3 as a competition, too, especially here in Puerto Rico, as it is the only EV I have seen on our roads (and it is "ugly"). The BMW i3 and the Nissan Leaf are the two BEVs offered for sale here. Some Ford dealers offer the Fusion and C-Max hybrids, but only the Energi versions if ordered. None offer the Focus EV. I have seen many of the import hybrids from Japan and South Korea, and that is about all we can buy.

The Mercedes-Benz "B-Class' BEV is mentioned and maybe some of the other imports may offer their hybrids and BEVs in the future. By 2017, the competition against the Chevy Bolt will be greater.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Just found this on techinsider.io and it could put the Bolt EV above it's competitors. The Bolt can charge 80% of it's battery in 45 minutes. That's around the span of a relaxing lunch on a road trip making the Bolt more travel friendly.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Just found this on techinsider.io and it could put the Bolt EV above it's competitors. The Bolt can charge 80% of it's battery in 45 minutes. That's around the span of a relaxing lunch on a road trip making the Bolt more travel friendly.
They still need to work on it since the ultimate goal is getting charge time down to how long it takes to refuel a gasoline vehicle... putting that timeframe down to 3-5 minutes at best.

·
Registered
263 Posts
That would be the ultimate goal but even phones don't fully charge in 3-5 minutes let alone a giant car battery. Battery and charging technology hasn't reached that stage yet and it probably won't for a long while if 80% in 45 minutes is seen as an accomplishment.

·
Registered
428 Posts
That would be the ultimate goal but even phones don't fully charge in 3-5 minutes let alone a giant car battery. Battery and charging technology hasn't reached that stage yet and it probably won't for a long while if 80% in 45 minutes is seen as an accomplishment.
I think that once people realize that their car is like their phone in terms of how it charges, they will be more okay with charge times. It still has to be usable, but we can't expect batteries to charge at the rate that liquid flows.

·
Registered
639 Posts
That's the reason for advancement in the industry, companies are actively working on making it possible, I think Tesla is one of them.

There just isn't enough motivation around phones to make super fast charging to be a must have.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Would like to see it advance to 100% in 45 minutes soon. That number seems more feasible because the current charge rate is only 20% off.

·
Registered
639 Posts
That I would be happy enough with.
One key thing to consider is how it plays into the lives of the current demographic of customers, and from what I can make of it, with the sort of driving they have to do, finding up to an hour at a time to charge while on the go is enough and that's if they even need to charge on the go.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
200 miles and an hour for charge time is more than enough for most of my road trip needs and you can even go without charging if your destination is within 200 miles. The Chevy Bolt will be the perfect electric car for everyone.
Now we just have to wait for real world testing numbers to see how it compares to it's competitors. The number looks good now but you'll have to take into account AC/heat usage, the infotainment system, etc .

·
Registered
639 Posts
The majority of folks need the most of the mileage to go to work and back, run errands, and other typical daily things, anything extra it has keeps them from having to rent a vehicle to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Heard that Jaguar is coming out with their own EV around 2017. Haven't heard anything about specs yet but it's one more competitor for the Chevy Bolt.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Another thing that could be a competitor is the Honda Clarity. It's a fuel cell vehicle.

The Honda Clarity Fuel Cell hydrogen fuel-cell car will go on sale in the U.S. in late 2016, and initially it will be sold only in California.

It will be followed in 2018 by a plug-in hybrid vehicle that shares its platform, which Honda says will have 40 miles of electric range or more.

These details were confirmed by Honda at an event yesterday, just prior to the opening of press days for the 2015 Los Angeles Auto Show.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1101043_honda-clarity-on-sale-late-in-2016-plug-in-hybrid-to-get-40-miles-of-range

·
Registered
263 Posts
Until the Hydrogen fueling infrastructure improves the Bolt EV still has the upper hand in terms of market saturation in the U.S. but the Clarity's 434 miles of range is tempting.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Until the Hydrogen fueling infrastructure improves the Bolt EV still has the upper hand in terms of market saturation in the U.S. but the Clarity's 434 miles of range is tempting.
Very true. It's a bit of a chicken and egg problem. No infrastructure no fuel cell vehicles, no fuel cell vehicles no infrastructure.

It is starting in California though and Toyota is selling the Mirai there already. So the ball is slowly starting to roll.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I like Honda's design more. Toyota and Honda will have to work together to put up more hydrogen fueling stations across the country if they want this to work but I doubt Canada will be seeing them for a long time to come.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The Mirai is only available in California at the moment. That is also where all the hydrogen infrastructure is in the US. I'm sure in the long term they want to sell all throughout America, but a lot of that really depends on the infrastructure being constructed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Keep in mind those charging rates are for CCS DC charging, not J1772 Level 2. From what I've read, installing a high-power DC charger at home is prohibitively expensive, and requires commercial-level electrical equipment and infrastructure.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts