Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
According to the NHTSA, the 2017 Chevy Bolt EV is "not rated":
https://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle-Shoppers/5–Star-Safety-Ratings/2011–Newer-Vehicles/Search–Results?searchtype=model&make=CHEVROLET&model=BOLT&year=2017

And at IIHS, the Chevy Bolt doesn't even appear: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings

Wait until January 2017 after the first units are sold and distributed to visit these two sites again. Meanwhile, use them to check on other vehicles (including the Chevy Volt) for comparisons.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I didn't know they could sell vehicles even without being crash tested ? Or have they been tested and the information hasn't been uploaded yet ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
If the north american auto show is any sort of land mark for them to release crash test videos around then that will be the next date range we'll have to look out for.

No way they can release these out to consumers without tests like this not being done.

·
Registered
862 Posts
GM has performed crash tests (or subbed it out), but the ratings are generated by the NHTSA an IIHS in independent tests (unlike fuel economy/range ratings).

Crash test vehicles are randomly chosen by the testing agency (not that an auto company would ever try and deceive anybody). The IIHS buys vehicles from dealers to test. We won't see results/ratings until they can get their hands on production cars.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Ahh okay okay thank you for clearing that up. Learning quite a bit as we progress here lol. Especially that they have to buy cars from dealers to test. I guess that is a good way to keep it randomized.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
So if there's a lot of people in line for a Bolt and it's hard for the NHTSA or IIHS to get a hold of one, then we may not see crash test ratings until next year. Never knew they had to buy the test car like any other customer.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I think the point is to avoid manufacturers providing "special" vehicles from the test. I don't know that the NHTSA actually purchases them, but they are "selected randomly".
The IIHS does purchase them, but are reimbursed by the mfg if specifically requested to test a vehicle before it is on their (unpublished) schedule.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Now only if more publications were conscious of that because there`s information suggesting some of the vehicles car makers give to publications have special things done in order to have an edge up over the competition.

The difference in what publications report vs. mass amount of buyers usually sets off that trigger.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
End of the day, publications do need money to stay afloat whereas we are here because we like the vehicle and want to learn more. I'm hoping the NHTSA or IIHS gets a Bolt and tests it before the end of this year.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does the lack of crash test report / ratings affect anyone from purchasing the car ?
Is there a comparable one that we can reference ? Not sure if Volt would be one.

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
It's not going to affect my decision to purchase. I'm confident that GM managed to design a safe car.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
It'll be fine, a lot of the body panels may be made of aluminum, but the structure is still steel and I doubt GM would want their first long range EV t\o fail a crash test. That's just bad publicity.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just saw that there is a side against pole test of the Bolt on u-tube.

The comments were that it looked like it would get all 5s from that test.

·
Registered
179 Posts
They have done a complete crash test. Results should come out any time now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts