Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Both the Chevy Bolt EV and the newer version of the Nissan Leaf were on display at LA Drive Electric Week.
This may be the first time both cars were in the same location and attendees were able to test drive both the 107-mile Leaf and the 200-mile Bolt EV. Hopefully we'll be seeing a few reviews from them soon but in the meantime you can take a look at a few pictures that were taken by Green Car Reports.

Not sure if it't the angle but the Bolt EV looks pretty spacious for an electric car and it may be bigger than the Leaf.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just from a design standpoint, the Bolt look better than the Leaf. The front end especially just looks like it has more to it. The Leaf feels very boring up front.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I posted a comment at the Green Car Report webpage:

This is untrue:
"the 2016 Leaf the longest-range affordable electric car." Maybe the author is admitting that he cannot afford a Model S, but if any product can be sold, it is "affordable". The 2017 Chevy Bolt EV is also "affordable", even if it will cost more than the Nissan Leaf!

I am clearing up that notion of "affordable", because if a vehicle is bought by someone, then it is "affordable" to the buyer. But not everyone can "afford" to buy a Model S, and the author is admitting it with that comment. Well, if he saves money, he can "afford" to buy the Model S which is the longest range EV.

For me any EV is "affordable" if I can pay for it. The 2017 Chevy Bolt EV at $37,000 (no Fed rebate since I never pay Fed taxes) is still payable and, as such, "affordable".

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you're looking a bit too much into the affordable aspect of the article. I just liked the article because it provided a few life shots of the Bolt EV and along with the estimated price.
Here's another article about it at electric week: http://laist.com/2015/09/16/celebrate_sustainability_at_nationa.php

Since NRG Home Solar participated this year, I wonder if the Bolt EV was charged on site with solar power.
Also nice to see the Bolt and Volt beside each other for comparison.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think what @Raymondjram is saying is basically that "affordable" is relative. it depends who you are speaking about. I think an interesting aspect is first, how many people is the vehicle affordable to given the price point, and second, how widely (with regards to income) is the appeal of the vehicle in conjunction with the first part of my query. A cheap vehicle that people with more money would still want to buy is great. I would call that "affordable luxury".

Here's a list I found just for fun.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mkm45gfjgd/the-most-affordable-luxury-cars-4/

·
Registered
639 Posts
I think you're looking a bit too much into the affordable aspect of the article. I just liked the article because it provided a few life shots of the Bolt EV and along with the estimated price.
Here's another article about it at electric week: http://laist.com/2015/09/16/celebrate_sustainability_at_nationa.php

Since NRG Home Solar participated this year, I wonder if the Bolt EV was charged on site with solar power.
Also nice to see the Bolt and Volt beside each other for comparison.
That side by side comparison is useful since it gives us a look at what we can expect in production on a completely new GM EV from the same GM brand.

So that grille outline on the bolt should be filled in with what seems to be a chrome bar.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Brands will use that at the moment they can with what ever they can use to call luxury even if it's just a few things that qualify them as that... can't blame them.

·
Registered
786 Posts
"affordable luxury" is a Macy's tagline. Not sure if it is used now, but a few years ago Macy's used the term for their up scale merchandise priced for the middle class shopper.

Now those unsold "affordable luxury" are sold at high discounts at T-Max and Marshall's stores.
;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts