Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
So the Bolt earned a "Top Safety Pick" from the IIHS.... good for GM... and us Bolt owners!

If the headlights had been rated either"good or acceptable" vs. "poor" it would have earned the "Top Safety Pick+" the IIHS highest rating available.

Bolt headlights "provide fair to good visibility but produce excessive glare for oncoming drivers."
What is with the headlights in modern vehicles? Why are they so poor?

·
Registered
782 Posts
the more I learn the more impressed I am with this car - good job Chevy! Too bad the front seats suck so hard - it's a huge blemish on an otherwise excellent car!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Always love watching these crash test videos. The side test ones are the most fun for me haha. Just the sight of destruction makes me happy... is that weird?

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can call the Bolt Xenon headlights odd, I don’t!
They are the first OEM headlights I have ever gotten that were excellent!
I feel absolutely no need, whatsoever, to upgrade the Bolt headlights! They light up every area, including street signs, well enough to see at night. Chevrolet finally got them right!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm ok with my headlights even if they provide oncoming drivers with more glare. Having driven in cars with dim headlights, there is no question that I appreciate HID.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm ok with my headlights even if they provide oncoming drivers with more glare. Having driven in cars with dim headlights, there is no question that I appreciate HID.
Most drivers are getting used to brighter blinding lights anyways and ours aren't that bad compared to what higher end car makers are offering. The worst are pick up's with HID's. The plus side to this is its that much more obvious as to where you are, better than not being seen as easily.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Around 200ft for low beam is pretty good in my books and there are worse headlights out there when it comes to glare, especially those aftermarket white lights that may as well be high beams with how blinding they are. Not really a safety problem IMO, so the Bolt's overall safety is great.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
We don't think it's bad at all and that's what really matters. It may be a little lacking compared to several other vehicles out there but they're still good nonetheless. Upgrading shouldn't be necessary.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
the more I learn the more impressed I am with this car - good job Chevy! Too bad the front seats suck so hard - it's a huge blemish on an otherwise excellent car!
Yes and now that Chevy has the blessings from the insurance industry for great safety, they can go about the business of making front seats that work for everybody. I still believe the seats are the way they are for safety reasons and to score well in that side impact test.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Does anyone understand the 12 and 25 mph crash avoidance test? Is it a complete stop or just a reduction in speed?

That should be the low speed emergency braking and some owners have said it works up to about 50 Mph. If I remember correctly.

·
Registered
112 Posts
So the Bolt earned a "Top Safety Pick" from the IIHS.... good for GM... and us Bolt owners!

If the headlights had been rated either"good or acceptable" vs. "poor" it would have earned the "Top Safety Pick+" the IIHS highest rating available.

Bolt headlights "provide fair to good visibility but produce excessive glare for oncoming drivers."
What is with the headlights in modern vehicles? Why are they so poor?
It's a difficult compromise between providing adequate light for the driver and not excessively lighting up oncoming vehicles. This is not a problem with "newer vehicles" as I doubt older vehicles would meet the standard either.

The Bolt succeeds with the first but by the IIHS standards fails on the second. It doesn't mean the Bolt is blinding oncoming drivers, it just doesn't meet the IIHS standards.

It is a relatively new test by the IIHS and will take some time before manufactures adjust their lighting to meet it.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ in the practical sense... do Bolt drivers get "flashed" at often by oncoming traffic?

I got my Bolt in mid April where headlights were no longer needed for the commute home- so I have very few miles of Bolt headlight usage logged since getting the car. The very few time I've used the Bolt headlights they seemed nice and bright... and I didn't get "flashed" at by other drivers.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts