Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Delivery dates are approaching and reviews have been pouring in the past month or so, well now it’s Auto123’s turn and they think Chevy hit the bullseye with the Bolt EV.

Half of the praise stemmed from the Bolt’s interior and exterior design. For a vehicle created to be eco-friendly with a long battery range, it still manages to have ample interior space to provide occupants with sufficient leg room. What’s most impressive is the instrument cluster and infotainment system. The indicator gauges are simple, it can be modified, and the side display showing the remaining range is both practical and clever.

Sure, some were hoping for higher quality materials in the cabin, but Chevy can invest that money into the Bolt’s battery and powertrain.

A 60 kWh lithium-ion battery feeds a 200 hp electric motor that can produce 266 lb-ft of torque. For such a hefty car, it can accelerate pretty fast as you can hit 100 km/h from a stop in less than 7 seconds. You’d think an electric car with a battery floor would feel sluggish, but the Bolt is actually nimble and the platform gives it greater rigidity.

GM has had time to develop their electric vehicle technology and the culmination of research and experience is a home run.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
They are one of many that think Chevy has hit the nail on the head with the Bolt. Interior materials can always be changed, it's not that big of an issue.. if it really bothers you that much, hit up an upholstery shop and go to town lol.

·
Registered
639 Posts
that's one thing I always never understood.

yes having a well rounded product is important and ideal but what's really important? what really matters with a specific vehicle? etc... it's when you ask questions when concerns like materials just go out the window.

you want better materials? buy a cadillac, or sit on your hands till Chevy improves on that area.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If the front seats are as hard and uncomfortable for longer drives as is being reported, then GM just hit a very long foul ball. Driver comfort isn't something to be ignored in favor of cost savings. They should have cheaped out on the rear seats, and then offered an upgrade for them. This is worse than VW not offering a heated steering wheel on the eGolf.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I literally can't think of any car feature that is less important to me than a steering wheel heater! To each his own, I guess...

But I agree with the larger point - I'd prefer a nicer, more costly interior.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wheel heaters are important in EVs because along with seat heaters they let you extend range by using little or no heat. It takes a very warm cabin to actually keep a frigid-cold steering wheel warm while driving short distances.They are critical to people like me with cardiovascular disease. I doubt that many people here who drive a Leaf will say that they don't use the heated steering wheel regularly in Winter, even though it has a terrible thermostat. Likewise not many people who drive cars with terrible uncomfortable seats will say that it doesn't matter to them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If the front seats are as hard and uncomfortable for longer drives as is being reported, then GM just hit a very long foul ball. Driver comfort isn't something to be ignored in favor of cost savings. They should have cheaped out on the rear seats, and then offered an upgrade for them. This is worse than VW not offering a heated steering wheel on the eGolf.
Link to source of reported uncomfy seats?

·
Registered
172 Posts
RE: Chevy Bolt EV Is a Home Run?

I think most of the reports are mentioned here. I've also seen reviews where they seem to peripherally note that the seats are firm and thin, but then essentially shrug and talk about range and handling. One advantage to not being able to order a Bolt now is that I'll be able to watch the future reviews from people who actually drive Bolts daily, for longer distances than a typical test drive.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'd go and sit in a Volt - they have them locally - but unless the 2017 Volt uses the exact same new seat design as the Bolt I'm not sure it would be worth it.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I sat in the Bolt at the LA Car show, and it felt pretty much identical in size, shape and comfort as my 2011 Volt
I have owned a 2013 Volt for about a month now. In this time I've learned that the seat itself is comfortable enough for me, but the area around the knees is way too cramped for me to be comfortable. My right knee is always pressed up against the center console. Also, there really isn't enough room to stretch my left leg out a bit without sliding my foot under the brake pedal. Judging from videos and pictures I don't think I'll have either problem with the Bolt. A few reports of how narrow the Bolt seats are do have me concerned though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Check out this article:

https://www.cars.com/articles/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-review-first-drive-1420692448232/

Also check out Paul S.'s thread on this forum. He's owned two Gen 1 Volts and checked out the Bolt at an auto show. He offers some insightful comments and comparisons.

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/13-chevy-bolt-ev-pictures/5274-kinetic-blue-metallic-premier-dfwautoshow.html
Thanks for the links. In comparison to your two articles I've read and watch at least a dozen reviews where people have said that they're thinner than normal yet surprisingly comfortable. The test where all the journalists drove to Santa Barbara should have exposed comfort issues and yet I don't think I saw a single comment on lack of comfort. As with anything subjective, beauty, or in this case comfort, is in the eye of the beholder. I look forward to driving one to make up my own mind.

Also, Paul is 250lbs and 6'5"...I'm not sure if he can be considered a typical reviewer on seats. And no knock on him, I'm 6'4" 225, so I know his pain in finding the right fit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the links. In comparison to your two articles I've read and watch at least a dozen reviews where people have said that they're thinner than normal yet surprisingly comfortable. The test where all the journalists drove to Santa Barbara should have exposed comfort issues and yet I don't think I saw a single comment on lack of comfort. As with anything subjective, beauty, or in this case comfort, is in the eye of the beholder. I look forward to driving one to make up my own mind.

Also, Paul is 250lbs and 6'5"...I'm not sure if he can be considered a typical reviewer on seats. And no knock on him, I'm 6'4" 225, so I know his pain in finding the right fit.
Here is a review from one of the Santa Barbara drive journalists who found the seats a bit narrow:

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-bolt-ev-drive-20160912-snap-story.html

I too am looking forward to a test drive or at least a test sit since that may be much easier to come by!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here is a review from one of the Santa Barbara drive journalists who found the seats a bit narrow:

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-bolt-ev-drive-20160912-snap-story.html

I too am looking forward to a test drive or at least a test sit since that may be much easier to come by!
"a little narrow" does not necessarily mean "uncomfortable." I've read lots of complaints over the years about Recaro seats being narrow due to the bolsters, yet once they're configured properly they're some of the best seats you can buy. Everything is relative. :)

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-discussions/538-recaros-too-snug.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
For what it's worth: I'm probably the single largest EV driver on this board. I won't tell you my exact weight but when you say 'fatty' or mock someone for being Of Enormous Size and Wide Caboose, you're talking about me, straight up. I'm a weightloss surgery patient, and even after losing 250lbs I'm still heavier than 2 to 2.5 of you guys, combined.

That being said, I sat in the Bolt for about 8 minutes while at the SF Auto Show. For someone as huge as me, the bolt is surprisingly not-bad. Yes, they were 'narrow', but they were not expressly uncomfortable, weak or non-supporting from my short stint in it.

YMMV.

I often go to auto shows when dreaming of new vehicles, just to put my overly-wide posterior and freakishly-long torso into the drivers seat to see just how many I *won't* fit in. It's far easier to quash expensive dreams when you feel the reality of not fitting in the car you're lusting after. So I was very happy that (while it took a small amount of ducking) I fit in the Bolt both with head height, shoulder width, gut-size (vs. steering wheel) and backside-width. I won't lie; it was tight in places. But it was no tighter than my Kia Soul EV. And the seats felt better than the old Honda Element I used to own.

(For the curious, my cross-the-country road trip gas car is a Ford Flex, primarily due to my size. The **** thing is a rolling couch; soooo comfy. But dang that crappy MPG...)

·
Registered
39 Posts
For what it's worth: I'm probably the single largest EV driver on this board. I won't tell you my exact weight but when you say 'fatty' or mock someone for being Of Enormous Size and Wide Caboose, you're talking about me, straight up. I'm a weightloss surgery patient, and even after losing 250lbs I'm still heavier than 2 to 2.5 of you guys, combined.

That being said, I sat in the Bolt for about 8 minutes while at the SF Auto Show. For someone as huge as me, the bolt is surprisingly not-bad. Yes, they were 'narrow', but they were not expressly uncomfortable, weak or non-supporting from my short stint in it.

YMMV.

I often go to auto shows when dreaming of new vehicles, just to put my overly-wide posterior and freakishly-long torso into the drivers seat to see just how many I *won't* fit in. It's far easier to quash expensive dreams when you feel the reality of not fitting in the car you're lusting after. So I was very happy that (while it took a small amount of ducking) I fit in the Bolt both with head height, shoulder width, gut-size (vs. steering wheel) and backside-width. I won't lie; it was tight in places. But it was no tighter than my Kia Soul EV. And the seats felt better than the old Honda Element I used to own.

(For the curious, my cross-the-country road trip gas car is a Ford Flex, primarily due to my size. The **** thing is a rolling couch; soooo comfy. But dang that crappy MPG...)
Congrats on your weight loss and I wish you continued success! I was sleeved in September so I'm still adjusting to this new lifestyle. Thank you for your input. This alleviates my concerns somewhat. I've only had my 2013 Volt a month, but I'm pretty unhappy with how uncomfortable the leg area is for me. I wish I could check out a Bolt now. I'm very tempted to take a loss on the Volt and try out a BMW i3. I could make a much more informed decision if I knew when the Bolt would actually hit Maryland.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts