Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove a bolt in San Diego yesterday. Below are my impressions. I currently drive a 2012 Prius which I like a lot except it is under powered and my reference is to it. The Bolt is about a foot shorter in length vs a Prius but I still found the trunk space acceptable. The under bin below the regular trunk is decent. The privacy screen over the trunk space looks very cheap - more like a sunshade. The Bolt is I believe slightly wider than a Prius. The Prius is quite spacious inside. The specs show the bolt is as roomy - it feels quite roomy in the bolt but I felt very marginally tighter sideways but no complaints. GM has done an excellent job with the packaging to provide so much room in a small car. Plenty of headroom and excellent rear legroom. The lack of the floor tunnel "bump" in the middle on the floor for the rear seat really helps make it more roomy. Interior materials are plastic but better than the older prius. There is a 2 layer dash material - i.e. top vs. bottom half that looks nice. The door are fairly plain vanilla. GM saved every penny on the materials to hit the price point. Front seats are manual too but I'm okay with that. Glove box is smallish. The handrest in the middle and bin underneath are about as big as that in a prius. Decent. Will miss the dual glove box on the prius.

Drive: very zippy but it was on par with the non ECO mode of a nissan leaf. The difference is the bolt sustains the acceleration which is nice. Handled quite well. The regen paddle shifter and one pedal driving in "l" mode are quite nice. I would drive it in regualar coast mode on freeways and L regen mode in interior streets with one pedal.

Did not play too much with the 10" screen but looks nice and has lot of features. I think the top end leaf has better rear and 360 cameras. The rear view mirror camera maybe okay during the day but will get some getting used to but you can choose not to use it. I drove the Premiere version.

Overall a great car in my view with not a lot of negatives I can think of. Hope to be in one in 3 to 6 mos.

Does anyone know when the crash test results are coming out?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The Bolt is pretty great for the price GM is selling them for, especially with a long drive range. I couldn't find anything about the crash test ratings, not even for the Europe Opel model so who knows how long that's going to take. Not sure if IIHS gets a model from the manufacturer themselves for testing or if they have to wait in line at the dealership for one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts